DIY Ca Reactor lets make it happen

ctreptow

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bent up some acrylic over the weekend. Will 1/8" acrylic be ok for this project. I bent the acrylic in a U shape with 3 8" sides and 18" tall. If the 1/8 is ok for this I can bend it up for the project then we only have to glue the back, top, and bottom.

Chris

Think it's too thin but my wife thinks it's fine since it's your floor. :p

I thought I was pushing it using 1/4" but that seems to be just fine.

I took a few more sucky pictures but haven't had time to load them up here.

Can I get someone to come take good pictures so we can post them for others to look at?

I hope to get it into full testing this Sunday. I'm beginning to think the auto pull of water into itself may not work as well as I was hoping given the testing I done without the lid sealed. We'll see.

Do we have a reactor media source yet?

I may want to use a slightly larger sized particles than I see often in pics. Similar to crushed coral.

Chip

Thanks Chip

I thought it was to thin oh well... It looks cool tho.. Are you going to be around today. I can come over and take pics. I want to look over that skimmer too.

Chris

I have my second to last Cub scout leaders meeting tonight. ( my son moves on to Boy Scouts in late Feb)

I should be home by 9:00. Call me at the shop and we can  work something out. I would like to get some pics up so people can starting thinking and get a group together.

Chip

Ok Guys while waiting on the parts list lets talk media. I talked to Chip today and it looks like larger sized media may be better for this reactor. I searched RC and came up with 3 types of media.

Arm of course gets the best vote.

Geo Marine from Caribsea this is crushed coral substrate.

schuran media large granules

The best price for the ARM media was from Aquarium supply. They are posting $60 for a 50lb bag   shipping. I sent them an email requesting a bulk discount and shipping prices.

Geo Marine Media is $18 for a 40lb bag.

I made my "Big Box" like this and the reason was it fit around the egg crate nicely,

and I had the room I thought I needed. Then oddly I changed my plan.

This is all 1/4" material

2 x  10 1/8" x 24"  front & back

2 x    7 1/4" x 24"   sides

doing over I would make these black

1 x 7 1/4" x 10 1/8"  bottom

2 x    9 3/4" x 12"  ring and lid  *

* 1 was clear and 1 was black.

I did this becauase the black one was routed out around the box and the clear one was for the "lid" so I could see down in while determining where to place the fittings. It looks cool so I would recomend against a black "lid".

I tapped the holes for thumb screws and recommed it over wing nuts.

123ca2-med.jpg

Take considerable care to build a square box! As you can see, things need to fit inside it, and they won't if you don't!

Mine will also carry the "teepee indicator", also placed to show when I might want to start thinking about adding more media.

I hope to run some water in and out of it on Sunday and get some pics up to look at.

Chip

I've given up on the auto pull in of water. It's just not working like I had hoped and I'm done fooling around with it so it will need to be pumped in. Maybe one of you can figure it out.

Also, the pond liner material I had is not working well either. I sent a PM to James to see if he has any left over gasket material from the new kalk reactor gaskets.

Other than that, it's woking great! It's pulling the water from all across the surface and the flow is strong enough but not to strong to cause channeling in the media.

The internal circulation is just fine and the air bleeds from start up like it should and then I shut that valve and adjust the other. I also learned running the plexi under hot water for a short while which seems to make it slightly softer to drill holes. This reduces and even eliminates the possiblity of cracks. Unfortunatly, I learned it the hard way.

Like was posted before, we will want to use the larger sized media more like crushed coral size.

I called Piedmont Plastics and they want 55 bucks for the plastic you'll need cut to size. I bet I have 30-40 bucks in scrap. Then you need egg crate, fittings, pipe and 2 pumps.

I still do not have any better pictures but I can see mine great so it's not a problem for me.

More if there is,

Chip

123ca3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any new info on media?  Anyone get bulk prices?

I'm ready to put this thing live so may just pick up some CC and start it up.

I still have a slight leak under big pressure (more than it will be while we're using it)

so I may just run a little bead of silicone as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I need to make my apologies to this thread. I have been swamped with work since the 1st of the year and haven't been able to make any progress on this. I am still interested in making this reactor but it looks like I am just going to get busier over the next month. If you guys want to move ahead without me I understand. If not I should be ready to go about mid March.

Thanks Guys

Chris

Guest clownfish4
Where are you getting your regulators and CO2 tanks?  I am planning to convert my kalk reactor into a calcium reactor, so I am following this thread closely :D

You're doing NO such thing young man!  No one is talking about converting.....

You are planning to ADD a calcium reactor in conjunction with your kalk reactor.

The lower PH of the reactor effluent will be somewhat offset by the higher PH of the kalk reactor which helps build the KH bank as well

I got my CO2 tank from my helium supplier and my regulator is a Blueline I got fom Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring.

After VD I will put it online and see how it does. I posted some measurements and mentioned that "bigger is not better" in this case.  :D

Guest clownfish4
Haha, we'll see about that!  I'll wait to hear about your results before I do anything rash. :)

Doug, dbarco as he is fondly known, is offering some scrap polycarb/lexan. See this link. While it has a slight gray tint, you can then get one piece of clear to see in and you've got a great start on your CA reactor compliments of Doug.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I missed the Klak reactor cause of work but I can't go on without missing the CA reactor. Someone tell me I am not late to join the building party. Who do I need to contact? What do I need to buy?

Jacob

I recently replaced my CO2 regulator- will be in next week. Anyhow, I have a solenoid for sale that is brand new.

The regulator I picked up at www.aquacave.com

They have a milwaukee regulator with the buble counter, solenoid, and needle valve for $70. Also have a package with a controller, but not really cheaper than buying both seperately.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to hooking up the calcium reactor today. I put 16# of media in it and turned it on. I have it running into a bucket and back into itself until I replace my PH monitor and figure out how to use it properly.

No leaks so far and it's way to big.

Ok, I missed the Klak reactor cause of work but I can't go on without missing the CA reactor.  Someone tell me I am not late to join the building party.  Who do I need to contact?  What do I need to buy?

Jacob

26337[/snapback]

jacob your not too late just hang out witht this thread and we should be up and running im guessing in the spring.

I have about 3'x4' of 1/4" acrylic/plexiglass that Tony Gallo gave me @ the Wamas mtg. I'd still like to make one of these reactors, but am still way too busy w/ work :angry: . If this group project ever gets off the ground, I am willing to donate this plastic sheeting to the fund. I hope y'all can forgive me if I am unable to attend many of the meetings, but hope that someone can work on a reactor for me in the case that I have to be absent ;) .

You got it Luke..

I am really busy now and when my training ends at the end of this month I hope to get back on this project and really make it happen. I need to visit the flower dude to look at his creation and put together a set of plans. Hang in every one and we will get this done.

Thanks Chris

You got it Luke..

I am really busy now and when my training ends at the end of this month I hope to get back on this project and really make it happen. I need to visit the flower dude to look at his creation and put together a set of plans. Hang in every one and we will get this done.

Thanks Chris

27560[/snapback]

even though the flower dude says the one he made is too big..... what if you went with a bigger tank? then you wouldn't need a bigger reactor. or does one size fit all?

by the way chris, were did you get the tanks for your fresh and salt water?

Hey Gary

I agree is bigger better, I just want to find out if we would be way overkill with one that big. If Chips can handle a tank of 1000 gallons I think we can make it smaller :).

As for my tanks I purchased my 30 fresh locally here in Leesburg 5 years ago. My 1st 75G was purchased from Annandale Aquarium and my 2nd 75g was purchased from a guy in Maryland, it was a complete setup. All the stands and canopies are DIY 75% done and 150G sump is a rubbermaid stock tank I got from Tractor Supply in Leesburg. It's a really cool setup and I love it. I will have a tank tour this spring when we start again.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running the reactor into a bucket then back itself for a about a week.

It has 16# of A.R.M. media and could use another 10#.

It developed a leak at the plug so I shut it down but not before finding a couple things.

It took about 30-40 bph to a ph of 6.8. The next day I drained it to fix the leak and found that the water had crusted over. It was actually a calcium carbonate skin. The water was so saturated with calcium that when it was exposed to oxygen, it crusted over. Much like when you get a good mix of kalkwasser it crusts over.

I hope the leak is fixed. I think it's going to work good. I seems to pull most of the bubbles back into itself to reuse or they can be easily bleed of.

You can make it smaller and I probably would if I had to do it again.