DIY Ca Reactor lets make it happen

ctreptow

I just need to build a second chamber to fill with media to help use up all the CO2, will it be possible to make a round second chamber in this build or are you building the Chip's square calcium reactor? Thanks

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownfish4

I am interested in building one but I think I would prefer a round shape vs. the square if possible.

I just added about 10# of media to mine and put it back online after a cord leak. I have no way of determining how large a set up it will handle. I assume at least several hundred gallons, given it's size and 25# of media.

This can be made round since part of it was fashioned after a pic of a round one I saw on a web page. I had scrap lying around and a box was a cinch to cut, big tubes aren't.

• 1 month later...

After 45 + days of steady use, the reactor is functioning great.

I recently got a new PH monitor and now have the effluent set to a steady 6.98 drip.

Tests for alk are 6.5 meg/L and calcium in excess of 600ppm. I can never read those color change calcium test kits so I stop adding drops.

Used in conjunction with our DIY kalk reactor for evaporation control, I'm able to maintain a system PH of 8.1-8.3 with 3.5 meg/L alk and 400 + calcium.

The kalk reactor PH has been running 12.38 and thats on a timmer and top off switch.