DIY Ca Reactor lets make it happen

ctreptow

Hi All

I will take the lead on this project. I am starting this post to get a clean start and find out how many people want to participate. I live out in Western Loudoun County so I don't know if I am the best place to cut and build but we can figure that stuff out.

Plan

1 Lets find a design we agree upon

2 Create parts list and buy parts

3 cutting party

4 gluing party

I expect this team to build the reactor itself and then purchase the Co2 and Solenoid separately. We can talk about group orders when we get to that stage.

So lets make this happen and post here if you want in.

Thanks Chris

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in. I can group order supplies, but can host cut/glue party (no work shop).

Luke C.

I can host cut and glue party but like I said it's about an hour drive from Fairfax. I have most of the tools we will need and if we can keep the acrylic tube to 4" I have all the tools we need.

I would like to find an efficient design that runs water up through the media instead of down like Chip talked about.

If anyone has designs in mind please post them here.

Thanks Chris

Ok guys here is my 1st submission for design. I have never used a reactor before so please those in the know please chime in with comments on the designs.

DIY Reactor

I would like to reduce the tube to 4" instead of 6".

Chris

Ok guys I put together a tentative schedule for this build. Since the cold weather and holidays are setting in, I need to keep this project to a small team. Glueing in the cold is not fun and I only have room for about 6 people. We can do this again if more people are interested.

Team so far

1.) Chris

2.) Luke

3.) Armson

4.) Gary L

5.) Chip ??

6.) Grav

7.) Mike

Schedule

11/22/04     Choose Design

11/29/04     Generate parts list and start getting parts

12/13/04     Cutting is complete

1/10/05       Glue up and complete

We will also be looking into doing group buys on media and other parts like pumps and C02 equipment.

Thanks Chris

Hi Armson

The only thing we should need would be time and money  tng.

I want to try to keep the build of the reactor itself below $100.00 but that will depend on the design and prices we can get from suppliers. We will need to have 2 parties 1 to cut the acrylic and 1 to glue it up.

We may need some other tools and stuff we can figure that out later. I do have most of the tolls we will need to get this project done.

Chris

Chris,

Very similar design to the one I have from MyReefCreations.com. Since I am out in the boonies as well, you can stop by anytime to look at it and compare notes if you want. I think pushing effluent up through the media in the second reactor tube is a good idea though (in terms of offgassing the CO2).

Doug

Thanks Doug

I would like that very much. One comment I had was the ability or connecting a pipe to the tube leak free. I was thinking of moding the design with a box at the bottom so the pipe would have a flush surface to connect to, then bring the other pipes out of the top.

Let me know when you're availble I would love to see the new house and setup.

Thanks Chris

One thing that Lowes has that we should have done a group order on for the Kalk reactors IMO are the nylon screws & wing nuts for the lids. McMaster Carr has them for real cheap, but they come in 50 & 100 count.

Another thing that Lowes has is the John Guess fittings. Armson, maybe your bro can beat McMaster Carr's price on these.

We will probably need to order the acrylic, glue, power heads, & CO2 tanks online.

We'd also need misc. tubing & pipe fittings, and probably a new router bit.

I'm probably just stating the obvious items, but we'd be off to a pretty good start once we have these items.

i'll second the second design :p  i like the linear look of it, also look pretty basic. i assume it holds more media because it doesnt cut corners :D  sorry i couldnt help it im on meds right now. i really do like it though, i seems we could accomplish this with fewer tools (unless some one helps me take the top off of my GMC Jimmy and we go "borrow" chips shopsmith for a while) thanks for starting this up chris

The second design looks cleaner & takes up less space. Sounds like it's more efficient as well. It's got my vote.

I like the design .. But don't you guys think it would be more work?

Byron

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr

I think it's more than 1 cut day but maybe not as much work.

I am just not fond of pushing water down onto media which the object is to disolve. I believe it will pack and restrict.

I have started mine but out of 4.5" x 18"tube x 2 chambers. Both will flow up through the media. My plan is to elevate the tubes and run the water up from the bottom of each which gives me a flat sealable surface.

I may be in and may be even able to host some of it on some Sundays coming up. If this is an XMAS gift to yourself, write out an IOU now. :p

Chief Wannacalciumreactorsoon

I really like the second design too. I was thinking of a mod that would place an over under baffle between the 2 chambers. This would allow the water to flow up through the media in both chambers. I will post a drawing as soon as I get it done.

Chris

Chris,

Outstanding!

Is there any more "room" in this party? I may join in.

One thing we learned in the Kalk reactor party is that it is easier than you think... just need a leader.  

Once again, I'll follow.  Wish I could do more but new: house, job, wife, dog, car, 150g reef tank, Halo 2, blah blah blah....

Hey Grav

Thanks for the vote of confidence. and yes we have one maybe 2 more spots. I will put you in. I think this design should work and I really like it.

It's going to be a lot of cutting but I think it should go together easily, Famous last words.

If we agree on the design I will start putting together the measurements and figure out how we can best cut the sheet acrylic.

Chris

Chris,

If this reactor is under pressure & the lid needs to be removable, how do you plan to keep water from going over the right baffle in your drawing? You can't really glue it to the lid to seal it. Maybe a piece of rubber gasket.

The system shouldn't be under much pressure. The pump should act as a circulation pump and shouldn't build up presure inside the system. The gentleman on Reef Central used Neoprene as a gasket and we should be able to cut the gasket around the center divider to keep water from going over the second wall.

Neporene Example

Chris