DIY Ca Reactor lets make it happen

ctreptow

Doug,

I still owe you 20 bucks that Luke paid me from the kalk reactor parts.

I see nothing (other than Doug) that would make me think it has to be a tube.

A well designed spray bar will work super, even in the "big box" design.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike

We have room, even if we go with design 2 1 sheet of scrylic should make 7 to 8 reactors. My feeling is one for each of us and 1 for WAMAS.

Chris

Excellent - great news.  I assume we are ordering parts soon and plan on cutting the weekend of the 11th/12th...?

I would still like to cut that weekend. We still need to figure out which one we want. I'm kind of open for as far as design goes but I want to make sure we make one that does the job. Thanks for the input Chip, if we build one of these are you in?  :D

Chris

I'm in but can't get involved until after xmas. This is a long busy month for me as a florist.

D5.1 is down flow which I don't want to do even though I don't think packing will be that much of an issue. D4 in my mind offers the best of all worlds with up flow and pulling in unused CO2. D4, whether tube or BB,  or D2 with an external tube are my choice. Don't wait for me if your set to go on the 11-12th weekend. Just make sure you have fun. BTW D5.1 did a really nice job on both the reactor and the web page

I just got my MRC skimmer.  Supper sexy idea: instead of a gasket with holes cut for the screws, they routed out a line (kinda like we did on the Kalk Reactors to attach the 6 inch tube) and placed an o-ring in there.  

Hard to explain.  I gotta get the new digital camera out and start shooting.

Phil

I figured you guys wouldn't want to pay all that, but worth a shot! :) The MRC's are very sexy, but after the kalk reactor, I sat back with mine in 20/20 hindsight and said " I could have built that!"

Chip, more cash is always good! I can get it after the holidays. By the way, Kaye our HR lady at work commented today that she was very pleased working with you and your flower biz. BUY FLOWERS FROM CHIP.

You guys leave Chris open for the 11th. He has some heavy lifting to do!!!

Oh yeah I'm busy the 11th  :D ....

We will need to look at the 12th, after that I'm gone will he 1st of the year. I would also suggest that we may want to wait until Jan so Chip can participate.

Chris

Ok Guys

The 12th just got filled in for me. I will have to wait until January to start the cutting. Lets please look over the new designs and select the best one. If we schedule cutting for early January I need a list of who is still in.

I do Like the new design Chip submitted but I'm not sure if I want a dual chamber or single. I've been fighting low PH and if the second chamber will stabilize the PH higher it may work better.

Thanks Chris

With the addition of an internal PH with surface/top down  draw, I believe it negates the need for a second chamber completely. I may work on a mock up in the evenings if I get home at a reasonable time and want to unwind a bit.

This approach appears to have to many advantages to ignore, simplicity being the biggest.

Chip

Guest Ruh Roh
This approach appears to have to many advantages to ignore...

clp]]  [nana]  gvl]]  clp]]

I am still in for after the first of the year, and I will be back in town the morning of the 8th.  I am totally dense about these things, so I trust what you guys come up with.

Cheers

Mike

I am still in for after the first of the year, and I will be back in town the morning of the 8th.  I am totally dense about these things, so I trust what you guys come up with.

Cheers

Mike

me too i love the way my kalk reactor works so i totally trust you guys.

That'e the problem with it Chip... It's too simple.. there is no way for us to over engineer of make the job harder then it needs to be... tng

Simplicity takes all the fun out of it.. LOL!!  I love the design so we are making Chips design..  in Mid Jan when Mike gets back.

I will start making the parts list.

Members so far:

Chris

Chip

Gary l

Mike

Luke

Grav?

Armson

Ruh Roh

Chris

Let me know if you are still in..

Guest Ruh Roh

Doesn't the size of your tank play into the sizing of the calc reactor? Would this still be good for a 240?

I am interested if this is not too full yet but i don't want to bump this into the too many people range.

Ruh Roh,

Consider yourself in as far as I'm concerned. You make #8.

The size of tank does matter like you think. We are making them for big tanks like ours.

Smaller tanks or sparsly populated big tanks will simply use less CO2 then we will.

I'm speculating here but I figure 8x8x16-18 will be the size we make.

Heck, between the kalk reactor and now the CA reactor both combined will hold half the water than our buddy Luke's tank does.  :D

Ruh Roh

I added you to the list..

Chip can we build this out of 1/8 inch or do we go with 1/4 inch acrylic? Will we out a media tray above the spraybar or let the media down onto  the spraybar?

Chris

1/4".   3/8" if we can get a bunch of scap cheap. At least for the base.

I was thinking that that egg crate stuff wrapped in nylon window screen could simply sit on the pvc spray bar itself.

No fuss, no muss.

BTW, I haven't used a CA reactor in the 15 years I've had a reef so if this drags it's feet a bit, I'm not rushing this time.

No offense to anyone but a little extra time is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I like things simple, like them to last, and like to do it one time!

Chip

I'm with ya Chip... I just had a bunch of 1/8" scrap and was wondering if we could use it. I will keep my eyes open for 1/4" to 3/8 scrap.

I agree with the Kiss method and since the Kalk is working so well I would agree with take our time..

Chris

BTW, I haven't used a CA reactor in the 15 years I've had a reef so if this drags it's feet a bit, I'm not rushing this time.

No offense to anyone but a little extra time is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I like things simple, like them to last, and like to do it one time!

I'd agree with Chip. I think the experience we gained by making the kalk reactor will aid in us being more prepared with the CA reactor. I know we were all anxious to get the Kalk reactor up and running asap. Thanks Chip for your patience with us and we'll try not to be a nussance this time.

Is anyone experiencing a leak at the tube to base connection? I am, and I think it may be cause I didn't set it down completely flat one time. This is a weak point of the assembly, and I think it is a very good idea to use 3/8" base, or thicker glue, or something to strengthen this joint next time.