GFCI: Should I?

mogurnda

I bought a ground fault circuit interrupter to replace a wall plug some time ago for my small tank.  Then I read about them tripping too easily and wiping out whole tanks.  Now I am setting up the 90, and there will be a lot more amps, and more danger, than before.  

So I am just trying to get opinions and experience with GFCIs.  Am I stupid not to install it?

Tough call.  I didn't when I ran 2 new circuits for the tank- for the above reason.  But- I'm not too bright some times when it comes to personal safety, just lucky.

I did install them in my kitchen though when I redid the wiring for the appliances there, and they have never tripped.

In a word and without going into a lot of detail.... yes. ;)  It should be considered mandatory and under standard electrical codes, any outlet within a certain range of water sources must be GFCI protected(kitchens/bathrooms/etc).  Personally the safety issues outweigh any risks by a landslide.  

If you are worried about fluke trips of a GFCI, you can run two GFCI circuits to your tank.  Then you could have some redundancy in the event of a "fluke" trip.  If this isn't possible, I would still install the GFCI.

ha, install one please, or maybe you might not be posting here anymore.   ]]]bdwn   on a side note I was sliding my canopy off the front a month back and I have a fan clipped on the back of the canopy to keep the mh cool, well I forgot to take the fan off before I start taking the canopy off.  Well you can see where this is going.  The fan fell into the water and the GFCI tripped.  Now, no hands were in the tank at the time the fan fell in but if a hand was in there and I did not have a GFCI, I probably would not be posting here right now.   So do yourself a big favor and install a GFCI.  They are life savers, no seriously they are!  

Sam

Guest mikesroth
Are they hard to install?  Jen and I bought one the other night for the outlet where my tank is located.  I am thinking of letting her to this home repair as the last one (new ceiling fan) she didnt turn off the right connection for the fan's power.... :o  Definitely gives you a good jolt of energy :)

Are they hard to install?  Jen and I bought one the other night for the outlet where my tank is located.  I am thinking of letting her to this home repair as the last one (new ceiling fan) she didnt turn off the right connection for the fan's power.... :o  Definitely gives you a good jolt of energy :)

nothing like a good jolt to wake you up tng .  Just make sure you have the circuit breaker off for that plug.  You can test it easy by pluging a lamp up and then flipping individual breakers till the lamp goes off.  Then just read the directions the GFCI came with.  Pretty self explanitory. read the directions, thats all I did and turned out good

i had to run extra circuits for my tank because when the DIY MH ballast kicked on with the PFO and all the pumps POOF ]]1dea3 , killed the whole living room, so i ran different circuits for the tank. i ran a 20 amp breaker with a 15 amp GFI and connected another outlet with the GfI so i have 4 outlets powered by the GFI, If one trips the whole circuit trips. i think im safe  but then again  shrk]]  HTH G

GFI's can save your life. mandatory, no option.

Separate circuits can/will save your tank.  Just the other day I got a call form some ones tank sitter..."the water level seems low, and the sump seems higher, and I have no idea what's up".  So I go over and find the GFI had popped unexplainably, looked at the timers and it had happened 18 hours earlier!  Fortunately he had his closed loop pump hooked up to a different circuit, and nothing was seriously impacted.

Bottom line, is YES you need GFI's.  For your tanks sake, if possible, run it on multiple GFI protected circuits.

In a word and without going into a lot of detail.... yes. ;)  It should be considered mandatory and under standard electrical codes, any outlet within a certain range of water sources must be GFCI protected(kitchens/bathrooms/etc).  Personally the safety issues outweigh any risks by a landslide.  

If you are worried about fluke trips of a GFCI, you can run two GFCI circuits to your tank.  Then you could have some redundancy in the event of a "fluke" trip.  If this isn't possible, I would still install the GFCI.

I just installed my second GFCI protected circuit before vacation.  I split my pumps between both circuits in case one of the circuits tripped.  (main return and skimmer on one, powerheads and closed loop on the other)

This saved my tank.

While I was gone, the house sitters (thanks to all involved) found my main pump circuit tripped.  Looks like it had tripped for over 10 hours.  Without the second circuit running the powerheads and the closed loop, I would have had a dead tank due to oxygen starvation.

Please do install the GFCI and if at all posssible, install two on separate circuits.  Then divide your devices up accordingly.

Steve

[in voice that I used when my mom was right and I didn't want to admit it]

Oooo-Kaaayyy.  It's installed.  The idea of having the closed loop on a separate circuit is really good, but there are cord issues that will need to be worked out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope Im not to late. I have to refinish my basement, and will be framing it within the next few weeks. Its all concrete now. I was thinking of using several GFCI outlets for tank. Just curious what is meant by multiple circuits? Not sure if what I had planned already covers this, but was going to have electrician wire basement then give me 4 GFCI plugs dedicated to tank area. The house has 6 GFCI plugs, and none have tripped as of 3 months post construction so I dont see a problem with that.

Thanks

Mike

kabala, a circuit is a run from the panel out to appliances based on a single circuit breaker.  We recommend two breakers be used (two separate circuits) to avoid having the one breaker trip and all pump flow/oxygenation stop at once.

You can use GFCI based circuit breakers to avoid having to install individual GFCI plugs.  Saves money, but can be annoying if it is only the GFCI tripping.  You have to go to the panel to reset it.  No biggy, but what the heck.

s

Guest clownfish4
Ok, time for the stupid question.  I have never used a GFCI and don't know anything about them.  How exactly do they work?

Guest tgallo

What is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, and how does it protect you?

GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protection is a system that shuts down the protected electric circuit -- opens it -- when it senses an unexpected loss of power, presumably to ground. GFCI protection devices constantly monitor and compare the amount of power flowing from the panel on the hot or phase wire and the amount returning on the neutral wire. Any time the returning power drops even slightly below the amount being supplied, the protection device will trip and open the circuit.

Guest tgallo
You may have noticed that the working parts of a GFCI system don't include the circuit ground wire or the ground slot on a receptacle. That's because GFCIs are designed to protect us against a ground fault, which is an unintended loss of power to ground -- possibly through a person. The regular grounding system protects the equipment that is attached (or plugged in) to the circuit against a ground fault in it. GFCI devices are designed to protect people, not equipment

Guest tgallo
i also dont keep them on my tank, but the best place to install them would be for your lighting system, just in case you're working over your tank and the light falls in while your hands are in the water etc etc.

Guest tgallo

When and where do you need Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter protection?

GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protection should be provided for every receptacle outlet and motor connection in every location where someone might be and the environment might be wet, moist or damp. Yes, that means everywhere in a bathroom, all the countertop outlets in the kitchen, and within six feet of the sink in the wet bar. It also means everywhere outside and all of the electrical circuits associated with your swimming pool, spa, hot tub, or hydro-massage tub, even if these are indoors.