GFCI: Should I?

mogurnda

If it matters, most GFCI receptacles protect all "down line" receptacles as well. So, any outlet wired *through* the GFCI will also be protected.  You don't need one GFCI receptacle for each item you want to protect.  There are also GFCI breakers, but they are very expensive comparatively.

It's always best to have two independent circuits to your tank.  One for your main pump and one for some other form of circulation (closed loop, power heads, etc.).  That way, if one of them trips, the other will still be on (in theory).

As a note, items with a large current pulse at startup are generally more likely to falsely trip a GFCI than any seemingly "random" event.  Things like large pumps, magnetic ballasts, etc.  Most high current GFCI receptacles tend to compensate for this, but it is not unheard of.

Finally, my tank has been on a GFCI since I started it and it has only tripped when I grapped a power cord with saltwater covered hands.  The exact time that I would want it to trip and for the exact reason I installed the thing.

-Tom

Guest greatwit
Don't they also trip if there is a power surge or your electricity goes off temporarily? I have a water resistant gfci extension cord, but just for my lights.