my 34g Solana

El Camaron

i do a 5 gallon water change a week, with all the rock and sand its about 35% water change. When i had that tank i did the nanotuners upgrade which included 2 more PC's, i recomend you dont do that, yeah it was nice and brighter but you will quickly find out that it still does not replace MH or T5's, so soon after i had upgraded the hood i bought me a MH fixture and tha worked great but the evaporation was killer. you can keep lps under those lights but it wont be as colorfull.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yea I mean 10-20% as in total advertised volume, usually 3-6gal of water.

thanks for the experience comment on the NT pc upgrade, I was looking at it but seems I'll just wait till I get a more stable lifestyle for the 300g tank I want :)

Hey fello reefers, i am new to this site and still a bit new to the hobby, i started with a 29 gallon biocube around March 08 which did great, in August 08 i decided to set up a 65 gallon tank and within a few months of that set up i decided to go back to a smaller tank which is the solana i have now. I run a TEK T5 24" fixture, stock skimmer and a bag of chemipure, kalk is added though the JBJ ATO and do 5 gallon water changes every week using seachem salt.

043-1.jpg

040-2.jpg

041-2.jpg

061-1.jpg

082.jpg

077.jpg

100.jpg

099.jpg

085-1.jpg

109.jpg

025-2.jpg

106.jpg

Beautiful. I'm a realy new newbie. 2 weeks old. I've got a 24 gallon JBJ Nano cube. I was able to get water and rocks from an established tank. I've got a couple of tiny star fish (hitchhikers), 2 hermit crabs, 1 snail (don;t know what kind yet) and 1 very bossy Maroon clown. I see that you have a Mandrin. what do you fedd it?

Congratulations on your new tank, those are nice.

well i do have tons and tons of pods im my tank which he graces on as well as i spot feed him bryne or misis shrimp every two days. Normally people will tell you not to put them in a tank this small but again with enough pods in the tank and regular feeding will keep them happy. thye do require a lot of attention so for the moment until you familiarize your self with your tank some more i would sudgest you stay with some hardier fish like clown, blennys, some gobys.

thanks Chris, i have enjoyed watching them grow and morph into nicer colors. By the way the chalice was out and eating last night, about a half inch sweeper, spot fed it and seems to be happy, cant wait to see it grow.

aghhhh my yasha goby went tile surfing, i didnt know they were jumpers too. :cry: now my pistol shrimp is all alone and my wallet is lighter :wacko: .

Sorry for your lost :cry:

Tank looks great! What sort of bulbs do you run with your tek light, and on what photo period? Chalices seem to do great under the lights, any observations?

Regards,

Jon

thanks jon, I use

One Giesemann PowerChrome Pure Actinic

One Giesemann PowerChrome German-made Actinic Plus

and two Giesemann PowerChrome German-made Aquablue

The first two are on from 10 am to 9 pm and the aquablues turn on at noon to 7:30. I have noticed great growth, coloration, less evaporation, less heat issues, the clams seem to be growing and happy and so are the few SPS i have.

soo envious right now I have been looking for Tek lights for my tank as well. BTW did u use any of the chambers as a refugium?

I really do like this lamp, has provided me the best coloration hands down.

No refugium on the back, only the skimmer on the first chemi pure and filter pad on second chamber and return pump and ATO float in the third. I do have two small refugiums on both corners of the tank, where you see egg crate. Has tons of pods and critters and one pistol shrimp now.

Picled up some zoas over the weekend and a red planet ORA and a catalina goby. The first zoas is crazy nice, dont know what it is but when it grows out is going to be awesome.

049-3.jpg

050-4.jpg

052-5.jpg

035-4.jpg

008-8.jpg

You've got some really nice corals in there. Lots of color.

Your catalina goby is relly nice, but they are from cooler waters and require tank temp between 68-72. It probably won't live long in the warmer tank temps our corlas require. Good luck with him! Pretty little fish.

Ohh man, i wont be able to catch that little sucker, he is way fast and tiny. He was a t a local fish store, they had a few delivered about 3 weeks ago and this one was the last one they had, and their tanks are kept warm due to there being other species of fish in the same tank. Hopefully it will do ok.

WOW, IT looks like spring in there. Great colors. Great job! I want my tank to look like yours when it grows up :biggrin: I'll be taggin along so please keep posting....

I want to come raid your sandbed. :). Doesn't that pistol shrimp pile sand on them and steal them to shore up his tunnel. Mine makes a huge mess, and yesterday stole a ric to put at this door.

I want to come raid your sandbed. :). Doesn't that pistol shrimp pile sand on them and steal them to shore up his tunnel. Mine makes a huge mess, and yesterday stole a ric to put at this door.

LOl your pistol shrimp is crazy, mine doesnt really have a tunel, he has that wholeback corner guarded by a mound of sand and a ball of cheato. He has made two doors coming out of that ball and its funny to see him pick up grains of sand and place them on the cheato as like a path.

Man i am now super excited again, i just hit the button on a JCigars orange Sherbet Chalice. Will post pics when i get it.