So I decided I am going go setup my own tank

MBVette

A few weeks back I was looking at vendors to do the setup for a tank at a new business I am starting. Well my brother and I decided that we will set the tank up ourselves. So now we are trying to figure out the components we will need. Can you guys give me a hand. Here is what I am thinking.

This setup is for a full reef tank. I do not have any room behind the tank, so the sump and everything else need to be placed below the tank.

Tank: 210 gallon 72 x 24 x 29

Sump: some type of inexpensive refugium. Could I just use a setup like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/300-Gallon-Aquarium-Su...parms=72%3A1205

Lights: 3 x 250 halide lights. Is there a particular brand or something I should be looking for in these? Or will about 750 watts do? Will I need to pick up some fans for them?

a wavebox for movement, I have seen them and like the movement they created. For the price does that make sense?

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Thanks

That sump is way too small for a 210 IMO..I would try to get as big a sump as possible or as big as space allows if I were u..as for the lights I would think 3 250s would be plenty efficient..

I'd pass on that sump from ebay- it's no name brand junk not to be trusted. Go with the stuff that I had quoted to you. All of it is selected to be easy to use and very efficient. FWIW, all the prices I gave you were directly from MarineDepot.com.

The skimmer comes with the refugium package won't be able to support your full reef 210G system in the long run. Purchase components individually and go with the best skimmer that you can afford.

You can skim out of a less expensive lighting system but always get the best oversize skimmer, in case, you guys decide to venture into sps later on.

Edited by vaironman

I see you left out one very crucial piece of equipment and that is a protein skimmer. I don't know if you already have one or have not gotten that far yet, but definitely don't forget to invest in a good protein skimmer.

As for the MH light, my preference is the lumenbright 250W. You might also want to consider supplementing the MH light with arctinic light as well.

Make a sump out of a 55 gallon tank. It will fit below your 210 with 2 feet to spare.

Silicon in some glass partitions for the fuge and skimmer in the sump.

You can use a submerged pump. I am not big on huge turn over for a sump (personal opinion that is quite contrary to conventional wisdom). I think a Mag 9 or 12 or so would work well.

You should look at in tank water movement from power heads. The Vortech's are great if you have the cash. I would stay way from the wavebox. I am sure it works fine, I just do not think it is very flexible.

Where are you located? Please put your location in your profile. Local people will be delighted to show you their setups and provide advice.

Also, invest in good pumps. I am a huge fan of the Reeflo series - and I hate powerheads.

I would use something like a Barracuda (or a next step up) for your return pump, and to run all your applications (fluidized beds, reactor(s), skimmer). You can always tee off a return line and close off a valve for later use.

Then, I would use a second pump - like a Snapper or Dart on a closed loop, perhaps through an Oceans Motions 4- way or 8-way for increased water movement and surge action. Have your tank drilled for 1.5" or 2" bulkheads so you don't have to pull the water from over the top.

Did I mention these pumps are efficient AND super quiet?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

First off, are you looking to set up a reef or maybe a fish only with live rock (FOWLR)? What's the look you're going for? Do you intend on heavily stocking with fish or are you comfortable having just a few small fish with lots of corals? And, are you looking to go with mostly soft corals or are you looking to go with more demanding (SPS) hard corals? These are key questions to ask yourself before you get into selecting equipment. I'm going to, for now, assume that you're wanting to set up a reef tank with corals and a modest count of fish using lots of sand and rock as the basis of your biological filtration.

In this case, I think that the sump that you're looking at is way too small. For a tank that size and with a stand that would hold it, I'd recommend maybe using a 75 gallon tank for a sump. That will give you lots of room for a good skimmer, room for a refugium compartment, and for a return pump.

Also, the skimmer shown is probably way undersized and inefficient (my guess). Look for a high-quality skimmer if you want to do this right. Trial and error, starting at the bottom-end (to save money) usually results in error (and wasted money).

3x250 for lights is OK but a 210 is pretty deep. That setup would provide you a range that would probably support SPS up high, but less so at depth. (Would you supplement the 3x250 with actinics?) 3x400 would be better if you were to go with some corals with high light demand. I mention this because DEEPBLUE (a member here) had a really nice Hamilton retrofit kit posted for sale for a great price just a few weeks ago. Another member had some interest, but the post has not been updated to indicate that the lights have been sold, so it may still be available. If you're going to put a canopy on this 210, you may want to consider his lighting setup as you'll get it for a better deal than most 3x250's.

(edited)

Im looking at the deepblue post right now. It states the lights are 60'' will that work for a 72'' tank? If so I will message him and probably pick them up. I will not be installing the tank till late april early may, but if I can find some good deals here or there I will pick up the equipment now.

As for your questions. I would like to have a nice compromise of fish & corals. I would like to have a mix of both soft and SPS corals, but with the high maintanence of the SPS Im not so sure as this will be in a business.

Edited by MBVette

Well you've received the full gamut of opinions at this point. There are many "right" ways to do it and each person has his own opinions.

The one overwhelming opinion is a bigger sump. I would look at a 75 or 90 and add some partitions to turn into your sump. You have plenty of room under your tank for one of these, and it will give you tons of space to include a fuge, bubble traps, etc. You can pick up one of these tanks pretty cheap. Look for a used one that has tons of scratches and whatnot. No one would use it as a display tank, but it's perfect for your sump. I'd expect $50 - $100 for the tank and then buy some acrylic or glass and silicone and add your baffles. Take a look at www.melevsreef.com for some sump design ideas. While his are all custom made out of acrylic, you can use the same ideas.

The next most important thing is a skimmer. Buy the biggest, best one you can afford. This will help with your nutrient export and reduce long term maintenance. It helps to remove dissolved organics in your tank before they break down and contribute to nitrates which contributes to nuisance algaes. Look at Euro-Reef, Deltec, Bubble King, Reeflo, and I'm sure there's a few others. Pick the one that's rated for your tank (remember total system volume, so 300+) and go up 1 size.

Next item is your return pump. Since you'll be running MH lamps, and this is a large tank, go for an external pump. It will contribute much less heat to your tank, will be more efficient and more powerful. The Reeflo Barracuda that was previously recommended is an excellent pump. Little Giant and Pan World are both good pumps as well. Look for something that will provide at least 3000 gal/hr at 7-10' of head.

Lights are next. If you go MH, I definitely recommend buying the reflectors and ballasts separate and build the canopy area to hold the reflectors. Luminarcs are popular reflectors, as are lumenbrites, and a few others. Read Sanjai's reviews and look at the spread that each reflector produces. www.manhattanreefs.com For ballasts, each ballast is unique and will burn every bulb differently. Take a look at various tanks and find the one that has a light color you like. Ask what kind of bulb and ballast that person is running and copy it. Unless you run 20k bulbs, you'll probably want actinic supplementation. I would recommend an IceCap 660 ballast and VHO bulbs. You can also do T5 bulbs (no need to change the ballast) but the blue color isn't as intense.

You'll probably need a chiller. Use fans in the canopy to minimize chiller use (lower electric bill), but I'd definitely have a chiller on the tank to maintain good temperature stability. Be sure to oversize it. For this size tank, a 1/2hp - 3/4hp should be the minimum.

Probably the last part is heaters. Use Ebo-Jager heaters. Don't even consider anything else.

For flow, I agree to scratch the wavebox. Go with either a closed loop with an ocean's motions - either an 8-way or 2 4-ways. or use Tunze or Vortech pumps on a controller.

I definitely recommend an aquarium controller for the whole setup. It will significantly simplify everything you try to do, and since this is in your place of business, the last thing you want is to have to struggle with tank maintenance after a hard day. Look at the ACIII: www.neptunesys.com Most of the members here have one of these, so there is tons of setup help available.

I'm happy to show you my setup if you'd like to come by and take a look. I have 2 tanks - each one set up a little differently, so you have a couple different things to look at.

Im looking at the deepblue post right now. It states the lights are 60'' will that work for a 72'' tank? If so I will message him and probably pick them up. I will not be installing the tank till late april early may, but if I can find some good deals here or there I will pick up the equipment now.

Yes. It's a retrofit and 60" is just the length of the setup. The light dispersion will cover 72" easily. It also has VHO supplementation. They're awesome lights. If you do get them, let him know that I pointed you his way....

Eh, just keep doing your research. It's the best investment you can make.

Great advice.

Welcome to Wamas.

If I may make just a couple of suggestions, the first one would be to really take your time to research and get well informed. Do visit other members and pick their brains. Not only it will give you first hand info on the many ways of setting up a reef system, you will also meet great people.

Become a paid member of WAMAS, it's only $20.00 per year but it will give you access to the member's area of this website such as the member's only, for sale for trade auctions etc...

For ex, I am a paid member and under my screen name it says, Wamas member. Others opt out to only be BB members, which only grants free restricted access. Trust me, these 20 bucks are worth every single penny and more.

Last but not the least, our winter meeting is just around the corner. I strongly reccomend you attend it.

Happy Reefing

JM

Welcome to Wamas.

If I may make just a couple of suggestions, the first one would be to really take your time to research and get well informed. Do visit other members and pick their brains. Not only it will give you first hand info on the many ways of setting up a reef system, you will also meet great people.

Become a paid member of WAMAS, it's only $20.00 per year but it will give you access to the member's area of this website such as the member's only, for sale for trade auctions etc...

For ex, I am a paid member and under my screen name it says, Wamas member. Others opt out to only be BB members, which only grants free restricted access. Trust me, these 20 bucks are worth every single penny and more.

Last but not the least, our winter meeting is just around the corner. I strongly reccomend you attend it.

Happy Reefing

JM

And once you join, Jean Marie will be happy to push you out of a perfectly good airplane!

It already says "WAMAS member" under his profile.