Strawberry Anemone (also called Club Tipped anemone)

sen5241b

I have the Strawberry Anemone (or Club Tipped anemone) growing in my tank. At this point its very small. Anyone had experience with this? According to what I read it can spread --how much, I don't know. It eats copepods. If you say 'destroy' --why?

I have the Strawberry Anemone (or Club Tipped anemone) growing in my tank. At this point its very small. Anyone had experience with this? According to what I read it can spread --how much, I don't know. It eats copepods. If you say 'destroy' --why?

you have either a tropical Corynactis (not to be confused with Corynactis californica - which is a coldwater species) or a Pseudocorynactis sp. If its Corynactis, it will stay small and slowly spread across the tank, but will pose little to no threat to any livestock like fish or other corals.

If it grows larger than say nickel-sized, you have Pseudocorynactis. These guys rarely split, but they'll grow large enough to go after livestock. I've seen them eat fish as big, sometimes bigger than their oral disks.

IMO, keep it and see what it turns into. If it gets big enough to threaten livestock, sell it. There are plenty out there who would take it.

those links are for the coldwater species, not the tropical species.

Hey dshnarw, i think i do have Pseudocorynactis sp, and i did have one of them with the white balls on the tips too... Didnt see any of the pink and green ones.. How can you remove them..??

if you do decide to get rid of them, and are able to do it in a way that keeps them in tact, I would like them please, if it's all right, that is.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

back of your thumbnail to get under them, or the blunt side of a plastic knife works well for most things. You could also use a razor blade to slice the rock just beneath the anemone, leaving the foot intact with a really thin sliver of rock.

I have these in my 24-gallon nano...

They are devilishly difficult to photograph. Flash washes them out completely.

corynactis2.jpg

This group is on a separate small rock, if anyone is really interested:

corynactis3.jpg

None of mine have very bright colors - but the colors include pink, blue, and green.

None of them are over about the size of a nickle.

bob