gioNVA's 45g Oceanic Tech tank build

gioNVA

I've always wanted to do a reef log but have always been in a rush to get things done. Since I still have my 156g, I figure I'll be able to go slow on this build. I got a good deal on this tank from another member. I've been wanting to shut down my frag tank but for some reason, I add more than I remove from the frag tank :biggrin:

The tank is a 45g Oceanic Tech with Starphire glass. I built a stand for it since I didn't want to use the small Oceanic stands. I wanted to have a little more room under the tank. Stand has a 30"x24" footprint and a height of 28", just in case I want an Elos tank in the future. I only have room for a 23" tall skimmer.

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

I didn't like the cherry trim on the tank so I painted it silver. I used the Krylon Fusion paint for this.

DSC_0137.jpg

I painted the stand black. It was a pain to do this in cold weather so it took me a week to get the stand painted. I used semi gloss spray paint from home depot. First, I applied a coat of primer and sanded it with 250 grit sandpaper. Applied a second coat of primer and then sanded with 320 grit sandpaper. After a day, I sprayed a coat of black paint and then sanded with 400 grit. Then layed another 2 coats but didn't do any sanding afterwards. I then sprayed 2 coats of clear. Here's how it turned out:

DSC_0147.jpg

More to come...

Thanks K!

I had my brother help me get the tank on the stand last night. This tank is heavy for a 45g. This will be setup in the corner of our family room. The light is an Sfiligoi XR6 400 watt halide with 4 T5s :smokin: I will try to get the fixture hung from the ceiling sometime this week so it will have to sit on top of the tank for now. I'm still not sure whether I want it like this:

DSC_0148.jpg

or this (I think I like this better):

DSC_0150.jpg

What do you guys think? BTW, the tank will mainly be SPS. The skimmer is a Vertex IN-100. That's it for now.

Thanks! Yes, I will definitely need a chiller :). I kinda regret selling the finnex setup I had. I've been looking around for a JBJ 1/10hp chiller. I still need to do the plumbing and build a sump so it will be a few more weeks before I can add water and rock. As far as plumbing goes, the tank has holes for two 1" bulkheads in the overflow. I will set them up so that 1 hole is always used and the other is a failsafe. I have an eheim 1262 laying around so I will use that as a return pump and split it so I can just use one pump for media reactors and the chiller.

I dunno about 400 watts, good luck with that though. I'd be cool that much light in a tank that small, but there is such a thing as too much light when you overcome photo saturation. Tank looks great i like the dimensions

Thanks! I will leave it angled. I'll be hanging the light fixture tonight so I'll post another update. I have another 250w ballast and bulb that I can use if 400w is too much. I'm thinking of doing a shallow sand bed in the display and then running a remote sand bed. What do you guys think? Since I have limited space under the tank, I'm thinking of plumbing in a 2.5gal tank with just sand. It should give me a 12x8 area of sand and will be about 6" deep. Just wondering if that much sand would be effective at all.

Great job Francis!

Your system is similar to mine excepts for the light. When i set up mine i was debating whether i should go with 400w + chiller or 250w + fan. I took the cheaper route :). What is your plan for flows?

I dunno about 400 watts, good luck with that though. I'd be cool that much light in a tank that small, but there is such a thing as too much light when you overcome photo saturation. Tank looks great i like the dimensions

With all sps and a 6-7 hr photo period that will be fine. Should have sick color and growth.

Thanks! I will leave it angled. I'll be hanging the light fixture tonight so I'll post another update. I have another 250w ballast and bulb that I can use if 400w is too much. I'm thinking of doing a shallow sand bed in the display and then running a remote sand bed. What do you guys think? Since I have limited space under the tank, I'm thinking of plumbing in a 2.5gal tank with just sand. It should give me a 12x8 area of sand and will be about 6" deep. Just wondering if that much sand would be effective at all.

I think that sand tank would be a good idea. Just keep enough sand up top to look nice. What are you doing for flow? vortech or streams?

Keep the 400w and get a chiller. You will have phenomenal color if you put a radium and some B+/03 T5s in that fixture.

I'd love to help you aquascape this if you want :)

Edited by ctenophore

I am thinking of going with a Vortech for flow. I like them better than the streams. I've had nothing but problems with the nano stream mounts. I'm just not sure if I want an MP40w or an MP20w yet. For the meantime, I have a four Koralia 2s that I can use.

Justin, I would love some help with aquascaping. I am going for the bonsai look so there will be a lot of open space. Maybe I'll do some rods and a little bit of foam/epoxy to form a nice aquascape. I will let you know once I get to the scaping part.

(edited)

Let there be light! :) This Sfiligoi fixture is really nice.

DSC_0152.jpg

Next up is plumbing and sump. I will probably use a 20g 24x12 tank for the sump. Will have to check out what's available at the LFS. I also need to add some drapes or replace the blinds.

Edited by gioNVA

Now THAT is a thing of beauty!!!!! Can I have the honor of putting the first piece of SPS in there? I'll give it to you for free!

Francis I think you love having a tank on that first floor...I am following along to see how this one turns out. Should be nice like the other ones that were there! The stand looks sweet I will have to stop by and see it soon :).

Henry

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to update this thread. Here's what I've done so far:

Did the leak test last week and filled her up this morning. I turned on my Vertex IN-100 skimmer as well for the first time. Came home during lunch and the pump on the skimmer seized up. I was hoping that the Vertex would be problem free for me.

I wanted to use this one really big piece of rock but it took up all the space. I ended up with this:

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

My son likes this because the rock on the right looks like a lion's head sticking out. The tank is really cloudy so I had carbon in the phosban reactor running.

DSC_0163.jpg

Someone had asked me what the reflector on the Sfiligoi looked like:

DSC_0170.jpg

I am going to be reaquascaping and will be trying out a foam wall of some sort next week.

Last night, I added a RDSB and the topoff system. I purchased 4 gallon square buckets from usplastic.com.

DSC_0212.jpg

The DSB is at about 9 inches. I'm going to add another inch of bigger grain sand tonight. I'm also going to add a spray bar inside because there is one corner in the bucket that isn't getting much flow.

DSC_0213.jpg

The RDSB is tee'd off the return pump. Here's how it's connected.

DSC_0215.jpg

Updated picture of the sump area. Still waiting on the replacement impeller for the skimmer. This thing still shuts down but not quite as often. I'm running it just to break the skimmer in.

DSC_0214.jpg

I also ordered some of the new marco rocks. I'm not too happy with the current fiji rocks I have in there now.

Someone had asked me what the reflector on the Sfiligoi looked like:

DSC_0170.jpg

Like the setup, but did you think of this?...

When I see open light fixtures I think of the little ones. I don't know how old your kids are but if they are small this picture illustrates what they can see from their perspective. With a metal halide, have you thought of any health concern and strain/damage to the eyes?