high alkalinity

jtro

I need to lower my alkalinity it threw the rough 3 times what it should be. I think it was overdosed with buffer what do I need to get it back down.

Thanks

Jim

Is the pH raised at all?

Are your Calcium levels where they should be?

I would say let it settle out, if your pH is okay then just small H2O changes over a few days and natural usage to bring it down.

Is the pH raised at all?

I would say let it settle out, if your pH is okay then just small H2O changes over a few days and natural usage to bring it down.

+1

Jim, what are your parameters? It's hard to give advice without some numbers. Some tanks run very high alk - upwards of 15 - 20 dKH and there's some evidence to show that some corals actually grow much faster in this kind of environment. Most people run about half that, however. If your numbers are not too out of line, waiting it out is probably the best course of action (or inaction, depending upon how you look at it). Alk has a way of coming down quickly. You'll lose 1 dKH of alk for each 20 ppm of calcium.

Is the pH raised at all?

I agree but would have some form of Ca to add with the w/c's. I would match the desired level in the w/c water.

I would not add just Ca to bring the Ca level down.

This will cause a fall out that you will likely not be able to control like you could with simple w/c's and waiting.

I need to lower my alkalinity it threw the rough 3 times what it should be.

Wait.....3 times? Are you sure you're looking at the correct units of measurement?

Alkalinity can be measured in the unit mEq/L (milliequivalent per liter) where 3.5 is good

or

Alkalinity can be measured in the unit dKH (German for degrees of karbonate hardness) where 10 is good

The second number is 3 times the first number.

Wait.....3 times? Are you sure you're looking at the correct units of measurement?

Alkalinity can be measured in the unit mEq/L (milliequivalent per liter) where 3.5 is good

or

Alkalinity can be measured in the unit dKH (German for degrees of karbonate hardness) where 10 is good

The second number is 3 times the first number.

2.8 times... but who's counting. :)

bob

Did a partial water change

Ph 8.02

Phos 0

KH 23dkh

Ca 200

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Amoninia 0

I know I need to get the Ca up will that bring the kh down some

Thansk for the replys

Jim

Ph 8.02

Phos 0

KH 23dkh

Ca 200

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Amoninia 0

Thansk for the replys

Jim

I've had mine up to about 18dKh with no harm - so just let it fall, or add a little turbo-calcium perhaps? Maybe the CA part of some two-part?

How are your inhabitants reacting?

bob

Ph 8.02

Phos 0

KH 23dkh

Ca 200

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Amoninia 0

Thansk for the replys

Jim

From what I understand yes bringing the Ca up will help bring the dKH down as well.

Well, that's pretty high. A good water change should be able to both bring your calcium up and bring your alkalinity down, which is the direction that you need to go. Aim for something like 300 for calcium and maybe 15 dKH or so for alk initially, then dose calcium over time as you let alk drop naturally. Target final parameters are your choice, but I like 425 ppm Ca and 10 dKH alk.

If everything looks like it will make it, you can alternatively just dose calcium while letting the alk fall on it's own. Remember, corals consume about 1 dKH of alk for every 20 ppm of calcium. Your measurements are saying that you've about bottomed out on calcium.

What salt are you using? And do you know how your Calcium - alkalinity balance got so out of whack? Are you able to check your magnesium levels?

Edited by Origami2547

Readings today

Ph 8.32

Phos 0

KH 22dkh

Ca 230

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

Now using a GSA kalk stirrer for water top off.It has been running for a few days. Will the kalk stirrer raise the calcium levels enough? If not what should I use and How fast should I raise the calcium levels?

Instant Ocean is the salt I use.I think its a lack of water changes on my part have been tied up for the last few months have changed water but not like I should.I just purchased a magnesium test kit so I will know what that is shortly.

Thanks for all the help

Jim

I would not add Kalk in this circumstance. Kalk is a balance additive which will raise both Ca and Alk, and you don't want that right now. Ideally you want to slowly raise Ca up to desired levels while letting Alk fall on its own as it is utilized by the calcifying organisms in your tank. So you are looking for a Ca-only additive--basically just Part 2 of a two part solution, but any calcium chloride additive will do. With Alk as high as that you may get some precipitation as you start adding Ca (that may be why your Ca is so low right now) but as long as you go slow you should be alright.

Before you do anything else though, make sure you verify the accuracy of your test kit, if you haven't done so already.

Water test today

Ph 8.18

Phos 0

KH 20dkh

Ca 280

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

Mg 1290

I used two of the 8oz bottles of kent marine liquid calcium

Water test today

Ph 8.18

Phos 0

KH 20dkh

Ca 280

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

Mg 1290

I used two of the 8oz bottles of kent marine liquid calcium

Keep it steady dont try and add too much at any given time but your pH is looking better along with the dKH and Ca. Just hang in there and keep up the hard work.

I would not add Kalk in this circumstance. Kalk is a balance additive which will raise both Ca and Alk, and you don't want that right now. Ideally you want to slowly raise Ca up to desired levels while letting Alk fall on its own as it is utilized by the calcifying organisms in your tank. So you are looking for a Ca-only additive--basically just Part 2 of a two part solution, but any calcium chloride additive will do. With Alk as high as that you may get some precipitation as you start adding Ca (that may be why your Ca is so low right now) but as long as you go slow you should be alright.

Before you do anything else though, make sure you verify the accuracy of your test kit, if you haven't done so already.

+1 Discontinue kalk for now. It adds BOTH calcium and alkalinity. Either correct this through water changes, or get ready to dose a calcium supplement (without alk) while letting your alk fall a bit. Calcium supplements include supplements like calcium chloride (bulk), Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium, Kent TurboCalcium, ESV Calcium Chloride, and others.

What makes the alk goes up? I don't recall any over dose and my alk went up from 8.9 to 13.4 dkh after I changed my calcium media a month ago in the reactor. I also drip kalk water. Do I need to change anything to bring it down? My calcium is 400 ppm. Went up from 370 ppm.

What makes the alk goes up? I don't recall any over dose and my alk went up from 8.9 to 13.4 dkh after I changed my calcium media a month ago in the reactor. I also drip kalk water. Do I need to change anything to bring it down? My calcium is 400 ppm. Went up from 370 ppm.

I don't think that 13.4 dKH is much to worry about, actually you are looking ideal IMO.

BJCM, you can increase alk using balanced additives like kalkwasser, a 2-part regimen, or using a calcium reactor. You can also increase alk (in an unbalanced way) using other additives such as baking soda and commercial products like Seachem's Reefbuilder.

Your parameters are fine in my opinion. Balanced alk for 400 ppm calcium is a little less than 5.5 dKH but I woudn't run my system that low. I wouldn't dose carbon (vodka, vinegar, or sugar) with the higher alk levels if you have an SPS tank, but you've not indicated either. There is some experimental evidence that suggests that higher alk levels promote faster coral skeletal growth.

BJCM, you can increase alk using balanced additives like kalkwasser, a 2-part regimen, or using a calcium reactor. You can also increase alk (in an unbalanced way) using other additives such as baking soda and commercial products like Seachem's Reefbuilder.

Your parameters are fine in my opinion. Balanced alk for 400 ppm calcium is a little less than 5.5 dKH but I woudn't run my system that low. I wouldn't dose carbon (vodka, vinegar, or sugar) with the higher alk levels if you have an SPS tank, but you've not indicated either. There is some experimental evidence that suggests that higher alk levels promote faster coral skeletal growth.

I have a mixed tank. I have a kalk and calcium reactor both. I still have some 2 part solution left that I used to use. Do you think I should add the calcium part only to bring the alk level down?

I have a mixed tank. I have a kalk and calcium reactor both. I still have some 2 part solution left that I used to use. Do you think I should add the calcium part only to bring the alk level down?

From what it sounds like I would stop doing the kalk water drip to bring down your alk. Your Ca seems like it is at a good level and you dont want to add more. Some water changes and not adding anything should bring it down naturally.