Headed your way

Guest EagleEyez5

Guest EagleEyez5

Hello everyone,

I am from Utah, and am headed your way next Thursday. I am wondering what 'fish' sites I should hit up while in DC. We are flying into Baltimore, and my Sister-in-law lives close to DC. I have been pretty active in the club back here{WMAS, utahreefs.com}, they even convinced me to run for pres of the 200 plus member society,{lucky for my pregnant wife, I didn't win}.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is anything specific that I should see while out there, related to fish, or should I just stick to the basics in DC.

One thing that I did notice and was very impressed by is the fact that this club seems to care about the community and the NADC. There is almost no support for the local Aquarium here in Salt Lake City, and the dynamics of our 'little' club seem to differ from those of any other club. Anyway, I have been in the hobby for quite a while now, and have many different corals that I could bring out and trade if people were interested, or just buy and ship home while I am there.

Any good stores or other site preferences will be carefully considered.

Thanks,

Jerry

WELCOME TO THE WAMAS!

The stores to see in Va are Blue Ribbon Koi (yes they have saltwater, lots of it, and a new store), and The Aquarium Company (fantastic store, great selection, great staff), to see in MD is one of the highest volume dealers in the area Mr.Coral, in and around Baltimore is Exotic Aquatics (has some interesting stuff, and prices in an ok range), oh and there is a little known niche in Rockville Aquarium One, family run has some neat stuff now and then, and Scales tropical fish wear house, a large, clean, and well laid out store

DC sucks pretty hard, well there are some awesome member tanks, really awesome.

Edited by jason the filter freak

Jerry,

I went to school in your area and can empathize... I'm also over on the WMAS boards and lurk from time to time. I've been helping a guy set up a tank in Ogden, and it's been a constant battle to find places that are well-stocked.

The Aquarium Company is the closest place directly west from DC, if I'm not mistaken. The advantage here is that they're right off of the toll road from the airport... Dulles, that is. If you're coming from BWI, you would need to head south on 270 or something.

I was just in the Baltimore area this week. The shop I stopped at was underwhelming, but the Baltimore Aquarium is a good (albeit pricey) place to go. If you want to look closer to BWI, go to the CMAS boards and see if you can hit 'em up for recommendations.

Edited by MisterTang

For stores, MD: Aquarium One, Mr. Coral, Scales Tropical Fish

VA: Aquaco, Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine, Fins & Feathers, and Pristine Aquariums

If you are going to be around Baltimore, you really shouldn't miss The National Aquarium in Baltimore (www.aqua.org), which is much bigger than NADC (www.nationalaquarium.org). Also check out the Natural History Museum in D.C., they have a new ocean all exhibit which is supposed to be pretty cool. (http://ocean.si.edu/ocean_hall/)

Be sure to check out The Marine Scene. It is one of the nicest, well stocked stores in the area. It is 1.5 miles down the street from AQUACO- another nice store in the area. Both are just off the Dulles Toll Rd in Reston.

If you have time, go to the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

- The Marine Scene & AQUACO (as mentioned above, very close to each other)

- Natural History Museum in D.C.

comment -- In my view, the Marine Scene is the best in the DC area. However, frankly, they may be also be the most expensive and therefore (again, in my view) is not that popular within the WAMAS board where we thrive on group buys for livestock and drygoods.

If you have time, go to the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

I agree.

Also, take a look at the Vendor Forum on the main page. You can get to each of their websites and see what they have to offer.

Enjoy your DC visit.

Maureen

Guest EagleEyez5

Thank you all for the nice welcome.

It is great to see that there are fellow 'nerds' out there. I will start my list of places and then narrow them by distance once I arrive. Thank you again for all of the input.

FISH ON DUDES!!

I too am from Utah and was very active on the WMAS board - also a really great club. I lived in Murray, but never attended a meeting.

Ditto to the Nat'l Aquarium in Baltimore. Great stuff there to see but maybe get your ticks on line so you don't have to wait in line at the door. While there, check out the tapas restaurant down the block, past the cheese factory :)

If you are on the "Mall" you'll want to take a small detour for the "NADC"

http://www.nationalaquarium.com/

Also definitely check out natural history museum - I could spend days there. Also, if I were there, I'd definitely check out the National Museum of American History - it was closed for 2 yrs for renovations and just reopened.

Edited by Sharkb8

Hello everyone,

I am from Utah, and am headed your way next Thursday. I am wondering what 'fish' sites I should hit up while in DC. We are flying into Baltimore, and my Sister-in-law lives close to DC. I have been pretty active in the club back here{WMAS, utahreefs.com}, they even convinced me to run for pres of the 200 plus member society,{lucky for my pregnant wife, I didn't win}.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is anything specific that I should see while out there, related to fish, or should I just stick to the basics in DC.

One thing that I did notice and was very impressed by is the fact that this club seems to care about the community and the NADC. There is almost no support for the local Aquarium here in Salt Lake City, and the dynamics of our 'little' club seem to differ from those of any other club. Anyway, I have been in the hobby for quite a while now, and have many different corals that I could bring out and trade if people were interested, or just buy and ship home while I am there.

Any good stores or other site preferences will be carefully considered.

Thanks,

Jerry

If it is fish you're most interested in - the best collection of angels in the area is in Copps' tanks! :)

bob

Guest EagleEyez5

Ok so we are here, and Dang is it cold. We were lucky enough to make it from New York to BWI without landing in the river, but we did get delayed for a few hours on the runway waiting for 'the ice to melt'.

We are staying in Silver Springs, and will be running around tomorrow and ending the day at the Bal. Aquarium.

I don't know how close I will be to the comp, but if you have some suggestions on good food that we 'simply HAVE to try', Shoot me a Text message with the name, address and type of food served. {just keep in mind where we are staying, so closer would be better, and price is not an issue} I do want to find one great seafood place, as well as one good 'hole in the wall' pizza place.

Thanks again.

801-631-2013

I'd recommend the invert house at the DC national zoo and the recently renovated Sant Ocean Hall in the Smithsonian Natural History museum. Both are free. Here's a pic of the new reef tank at the Smithsonian. http://www.daylife.com/photo/09Qi1Sa2fC1xa

There is really only one (real) reef tank at the Baltimore aquarium, but they have a massive fish only (synthetic rock and fake coral) tank worth the price of admission.

Ditto on the Invert house at the Nat'l Zoo. If only to see the largest elegance coral you have ever seen. That coral alone is worth making the trip. Oh yeah the zoo also has some pretty cool Pandas too.

On food. If you want neat/fun I would suggest

BD's Mongolian grill in Bethesda.

7201 Wisconsin Ave

Bethesda, MD 20814

(301) 657-1080

If you want a really great seafood restaurant: (it is in Georgetown and a bit pricey)

Black Salt

4883 Macarthur Blvd.

Washington, DC 20007

(202) 342-9101

Other notables:

Burgers: Five Guys

Silver Spring

12269 West Tech Rd.

Silver Spring , MD 20904

Chili: Hard Times

Bethesda

4920 Del Ray Avenue

Bethesda, MD 20814

Sushi:

Sushi Ko

2309 Wisconsin Ave NW

Washington DC (near Georgetown)

American: (completely across town it would take you about an hour to get there from SS w/out traffic, but the food is FANTASTIC!)

Mikes American Grill

6210 Backlick Road

Springfield, VA 22150

(703) 644-7100

I was out in SLC a few weeks ago and noticed they were building a Five Guys there. If you haven't tried it, try it while you're out here. In fact, even if you did try it there, try it here, because dining in Utah sucks :)

IMHO for where your located, I don't think for seafood you can beat O'donnell's, and it's been in business since 1922 which speaks for it's self. It's most likely within 30 minutes from anywhere in Silver Spring. If you have a sweet tooth in the AM, take a box of Rum Bun's with you. One will come with dinner as well for you to try.

http://www.odonnellsrestaurants.com/

Why am I now craving seafood at 8:40 in the AM?

:blush:

For pizza, you can't beat 2 Amy's in NW DC:

http://www.2amyspizza.com/

3715 Macomb St NW

Washington, DC 20016

It's definitely NOT a hole in the wall. It is always packed, parking is nearly impossible (you have to troll the neighborhood for a spot). It is, however, the best and most authentic Italian pizza you'll find.

and for good and cheap NYC (and I really mean NYC) pizza, if you're going to Aquarium Company or Marine Scene, both in Reston, check out Church Street Pizza in Vienna, VA. It would be about halfway between I66 and Reston if you're traveling that way.