Pump is too strong

capsfan

The pump in my 2.5 gallon is a little bit too strong for the mushies and zoas. Does anybody see a problem with cutting off a couple rotors on the impeller to reduce flow?

The pump in my 2.5 gallon is a little bit too strong for the mushies and zoas. Does anybody see a problem with cutting off a couple rotors on the impeller to reduce flow?

hmmm... why not valve it back some? add a ball valve to the output and use it to restrict outflow.

You could also try opening up the outlet a little bit, or even drilling some additional holes -- the idea being to disperse the flow rather than reduce it.

Can you fit vinyl tubing over the outflow? Then you could put a vinyl reducing fitting in the tube (1/4"->1/8" or some such).

If the outflow is a bunch of holes, you could try plugging one or more of them up to restrict the output also.

You can add a nozzle to the end of the pump to spread out the flow so it's less direct. It's pretty common in nano cubes, jump over to nano reefs and have a look around. Something might work for you

why not just get a new pump? How strong is the pump you have now? Surely there are pumps out there that have 10 or so gph that you could use?

Maybe I'm wrong... if so, I'll leave it to these guys :lol2:

Shorter blades on the impeller is one typical way that manufacturers use to reduce the pump output. I have heard about people removing impeller blades, but you have to be balanced about it, otherwise you wind up shortening the service life of the pump. In both cases, you need to make sure that the impeller remains balanced (just think of blade removal as an extreme form of blade shortening).

Is there any chance that the pump that you've got has a flow adjustment already built in to it that resticts the intake? (That's another way that I've noticed that manufacturers use to give variable output capability to small centrifugal pumps like the one you're showing in your pictures.)

a simple solution often done on nano reef is sanding down the the fins of the impeller so cut down of flow some

That might work

why not just get a new pump? How strong is the pump you have now? Surely there are pumps out there that have 10 or so gph that you could use?

Maybe I'm wrong... if so, I'll leave it to these guys :lol2:

I don't want to get a new pump because the hole in the acrylic would be too big or too small.

Shorter blades on the impeller is one typical way that manufacturers use to reduce the pump output. I have heard about people removing impeller blades, but you have to be balanced about it, otherwise you wind up shortening the service life of the pump. In both cases, you need to make sure that the impeller remains balanced (just think of blade removal as an extreme form of blade shortening).

Is there any chance that the pump that you've got has a flow adjustment already built in to it that resticts the intake? (That's another way that I've noticed that manufacturers use to give variable output capability to small centrifugal pumps like the one you're showing in your pictures.)

It does have an adjustment. It goes from 60 to 90 gph. It is turned all the way down.

Pumps used for tabletop fountains go really low gph if you have trouble finding something else low enough, though I'm not sure if they would go high enough. Pond section of pet store, sometimes reptile section (not sure how strong those are), and then craft sotres sell them without fountains (people make their own). The nozzles are very short so you would maybe have to add something on to it.

Edited by treesprite