Protein Skimmers

cbatkinson

I'm getting back in the hobby and thinking of starting a 65 gallon reef tank...can anyone tell me if the Coralife Protein Super Skimmers are any good, and if not, what size and brand skimmer I should get.

Thx

IMHO, I refuse to buy a brand whose products catch on fire. I have an AquaMedic TurboFlotor that would be perfect for a tank your size... since I have a high bio-load, I'm looking for something a little more effective.

Stay away from most hang on the back skimmers. Most of them truly suck, at least compared to in-sump skimmers. The only exception to the rule is the Deltec MCE600, which is a beast of a HOB skimmer. The Remora HOB skimmers are ok, but I wasn't too impressed. Others on here swear by them. Probably would be good enough for smaller tanks. What do you plan on keeping?

Stay away from most hang on the back skimmers. Most of them truly suck, at least compared to in-sump skimmers. The only exception to the rule is the Deltec MCE600, which is a beast of a HOB skimmer. The Remora HOB skimmers are ok, but I wasn't too impressed. Others on here swear by them. Probably would be good enough for smaller tanks. What do you plan on keeping?

Eventually I'm looking to do everything....all types of corals and fish..I'm trying to find one that I can use in my maxi-reef, but its not looking so good. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new wet dry or sump....unless I absolutely have to.

Eventually I'm looking to do everything....all types of corals and fish..I'm trying to find one that I can use in my maxi-reef, but its not looking so good. I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new wet dry or sump....unless I absolutely have to.

You also don't have to get a "in-sump" only model. You could also get a decent recirculating skimmer that you can house next to, or outside, your sump. You would just need a separate pump to feed water into the skimmer, like a maxi-jet or something. The the outflow of the skimmer flows back into your sump. Great for those with limited space in their sump.

Here is a pretty good skimmer for only $100.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26887

If its still available that is. If not, just pay attention to the boards to catch anything good that might come along. Unfortunately there's been alot of people getting out recently.

About the only good reason not to get a sump is because you can't... Even better if you use part of the sump as a refugium. Everything just seems to work better with a sump.

bob

I'm getting back in the hobby and thinking of starting a 65 gallon reef tank...can anyone tell me if the Coralife Protein Super Skimmers are any good, and if not, what size and brand skimmer I should get.

Thx

I currently have a Coralife Super Skimmer 220. When I first got it I placed it in the sump to break in and then placed it HOB style of a new tank about a month later. It had a major leak, kinda like a water fall, from where the molded bottom joins the main body so it is now a sump only unit. They are not easy unit to clean inside and I would only recommend it if you can get a really good deal on it.

I also have an ASM G1X which is really easy to clean and operate. I ran both skimmers on my tank for about three months just to see how they compared. The ASM kicked the Coralife's butt. If you can grab an ASM or EuroReef unit that is what I would recommend.

can i hang it on the side of a maxi reef wet dry filter?

The Turboflotor Multi SL (which is a pretty large skimmer) can be operated in-sump or as a HOT skimmer and does well. I had one hanging off the side of my sump when space was tight. I've just put one up for sale on this thread: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26989

I agree, however, unless there's some pressing reason not to install a sump, you're likely to regret the choice not to go with one in short order. That's how I started and found myself putting a sump in within 45 days of filling the system up with water using a HOB overflow box (and wishing mightily that I had drilled the tank instead).

Edited by Origami2547