Exhibition pics

dshnarw

My mother has been pushing me to enter a hometown art exhibition, so I'm trying to decide on which photo(s) to enter. Decided that I should stick to photos that I would like in the house since it may or may not sell, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the best shot...

So I thought I'd toss if out here and see which ones got the best responses. Thumbnails are clickable for larger size, or you can view here: http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/arwndsh/exhibition/

th_IMG_1856.jpg

th_IMG_1970.jpg

th_IMG_2113.jpg

th_IMG_2430_filtered.jpg

th_IMG_2648_filtered.jpg

th_IMG_3070_0_filtered.jpg

th_IMG_3098_0_filtered.jpg

th_IMG_3745hdr.jpg

th_IMG_3746hdr.jpg

th_IMG_3963hdr.jpg

th_IMG_4284hdr.jpg

th_IMG_4285.jpg

On a related note, any recommendations on local framing shops?

Thanks all :)

Edited by dshnarw

I like the 4th one up from the bottom. The water hitting the rock making the big splash. The composition is great and the color is fantastic plus you captured the water splash, great pic. The sunset pics are also nice but the color is a little over done, IMHO. All of them at great pics though, very nice!

All I can say is....

WOW!!!!

These are beautiful shots. I'm having a hard time myself helping you pick. What did u use to shoot these?

I think I can narrow it down for you, if on the pretense of hanging it on a wall in a house, this is what I think:

th_IMG_1856.jpg

I think this is too "bright" or something for me, I just don't think it would fit with much...

th_IMG_1970.jpg

I think this is an AWESOME pic to put in a house, but in the enlarged version, the background is "too" blury, I don't know if you can fix that, but it's one of my favorites otherwise

th_IMG_2113.jpg

I really like this pic, but can't point my finger on why I don't think you should use it, it's one of my favorites, but for some reason, I have trouble with it...

th_IMG_2430_filtered.jpg

It might look good in a few rooms of peoples if it matches the "setting", but I don't think this would be a very great seller just because it's too bright

th_IMG_2648_filtered.jpg

one of my favorite pics, but is it possible to tone down the flower, it's just "so" bright that it seems to be photoshoped on almost...

th_IMG_3070_0_filtered.jpg

It's a cool pic, but I don't think I would want it in a house, it's just that it looks kind of gross... what would it look like in B&W? I think it would be better that way...

th_IMG_3098_0_filtered.jpg

AWESOME picture, if this were an exhibition for post cards, there's not a doubt in my mind that you should choose this, and I definetly think it's one of the top ones of your photos for this

th_IMG_3745hdr.jpg

Same as above, except I prefer the one below..

th_IMG_3746hdr.jpg

see above...

th_IMG_3963hdr.jpg

This should also be one of your "finalists" I think it would look great in the right setting.

th_IMG_4284hdr.jpg

The bottom two are also awesome, however the one below looks better to me just because it has more features.

th_IMG_4285.jpg

see above

These are just my opinions on each photo, I could not pic a single one, however, without doing anything to change any picture, I'd say I'm pretty drawn on 7,9, and 12, however I think 2, 5, and 6 would look really good too if you were able to edit them a little and I noted how below each...

JMHO,

Sam

Amazing pictures.

Based solely on which one I would like in my living room, though some will probably think not the most artistic of the bunch: my favorite is the lighthouse - it is just very pleasing and comforting to look at.

Others I especially like:

the stream

the lilly pad

the wave - 3rd from bottom - the light hitting the water almost looks like blurry lightning to me -- very cool.

I like the 4th one up from the bottom. The water hitting the rock making the big splash. The composition is great and the color is fantastic plus you captured the water splash, great pic. The sunset pics are also nice but the color is a little over done, IMHO. All of them at great pics though, very nice!

Thanks! I wouldn't disagree about the sunset shots :) The last one is actually straight out of the camera with just a polarizing filter, one before that is an HDR attempt (although I will say that it was the best sunset I've ever seen, which is why I like the pics so much) :)

Lighthouse

All are very good. Really dig the Framing and detail of photo #4.

Thanks! I've gotten a lot of good feedback from friends on that one especially.

All I can say is....

WOW!!!!

These are beautiful shots. I'm having a hard time myself helping you pick. What did u use to shoot these?

Thanks gadgets. They were taken with my Canon Powershot G9

I think I can narrow it down for you, if on the pretense of hanging it on a wall in a house, this is what I think:

These are just my opinions on each photo, I could not pic a single one, however, without doing anything to change any picture, I'd say I'm pretty drawn on 7,9, and 12, however I think 2, 5, and 6 would look really good too if you were able to edit them a little and I noted how below each...

JMHO,

Sam

It'll take me a while to get through all that!! :biggrin: Couple of questions off hand though - can you explain the brightness issue a little more? Are you talking about color saturation or actual brightness?

Unfortunately, I can't do much about the blur on the water lily - I was limited to f/8 by the camera, so that'll have to wait until next spring when the lilies bloom again.

I've tried the yellow tidepool in B&W, but I never really liked it that way...just seems like it lost some impact without the bright algae color (I do plan on having that one in my house tho, if that tells you anything about my taste :laugh: Probably right above one of my algae-filled fish tanks :biggrin: )

Anyway - thanks for the comments!

Amazing pictures.

Based solely on which one I would like in my living room, though some will probably think not the most artistic of the bunch: my favorite is the lighthouse - it is just very pleasing and comforting to look at.

Others I especially like:

the stream

the lilly pad

the wave - 3rd from bottom - the light hitting the water almost looks like blurry lightning to me -- very cool.

Thanks!

It'll take me a while to get through all that!! :biggrin: Couple of questions off hand though - can you explain the brightness issue a little more? Are you talking about color saturation or actual brightness?

Unfortunately, I can't do much about the blur on the water lily - I was limited to f/8 by the camera, so that'll have to wait until next spring when the lilies bloom again.

I've tried the yellow tidepool in B&W, but I never really liked it that way...just seems like it lost some impact without the bright algae color (I do plan on having that one in my house tho, if that tells you anything about my taste :laugh: Probably right above one of my algae-filled fish tanks :biggrin: )

Anyway - thanks for the comments!

In the pics that brightness is an issue it's more color saturation, in the first pic, It's just shoots out at you which I personally don't like in a picture on the wall, I like a picture that you can look at as you go across the wall, so you aren't just instantly drawn to it, not a dull boring pic, just something that blends in well. With the flower on the log, it's similar to the explanation above, but instead of looking across a wall, just looking across the single pic... It just stands out way too much for me, you go from a dull sort of log to the most colorful part of any picture ever (exageration of course :wacko:).

The yellow tidepool actually looks better to me now after looking at it for a while, I'm not sure wy, but it does, lol. But I still don't think it should be "the" winner, if you've tried it in black and white then I guess it's just a lost cause :tongue: jk of course.

In the pics that brightness is an issue it's more color saturation, in the first pic, It's just shoots out at you which I personally don't like in a picture on the wall, I like a picture that you can look at as you go across the wall, so you aren't just instantly drawn to it, not a dull boring pic, just something that blends in well. With the flower on the log, it's similar to the explanation above, but instead of looking across a wall, just looking across the single pic... It just stands out way too much for me, you go from a dull sort of log to the most colorful part of any picture ever (exageration of course :wacko:).

The yellow tidepool actually looks better to me now after looking at it for a while, I'm not sure wy, but it does, lol. But I still don't think it should be "the" winner, if you've tried it in black and white then I guess it's just a lost cause :tongue: jk of course.

LOL - I think we may have opposite tastes in art :biggrin: But hey, thats what art is for, right? I think in this case, the "HEY LOOK AT ME" factor is something I want to have, since I have to get people's attentions off the other artwork.

The yellow tidepool grows on everyone ;) Something about that color :happy:

I like the light house and yellow stream the most,

are any of these "shopped" n any way? If not what do you do to get something like the green in that grass with the light house pic?

I enjoyed looking at them all and also enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Beautiful pictures

I like the light house and yellow stream the most,

are any of these "shopped" n any way? If not what do you do to get something like the green in that grass with the light house pic?

Thanks Jason. My usual editing routine is a quick sharpening function when needed and sometimes shadows/highlights to lighten the shadows just a bit (as in the bromeliad pic - #4 where the red leaves in the background were too dark). The only time I mess with color saturations is on HDR shots where it's part of the overall workflow. Everything else gets done in camera, sometimes with a polarizing filter to reduce glare and darken skies.

The grass at the lighthouse came out that color in camera as a result of the somewhat harsh lighting it was getting at the time - similar to blown highlights in the sky makes the sky bright white.

4,5,and 12. AMAZING SHOTS!!! i like them all but what i listed is what i like best.

Thanks Gary!

I enjoyed looking at them all and also enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Beautiful pictures

Thanks! (and thanks again to everyone for those comments!)

Amazing shots! I like the wave crashing onto the rocks.

Thanks!

My favorite is the first sunset #11..... cold grey sky, sharp rocks, smooth water and a hot sunset. I love it.............I have a new desktop pic!

My favorites, in order, are #6, #4, #10

All great photos though!

I think that was the concensus of my office as well, except the bromeliad (#4) was in front of the yellow tidepool (#6).

Thanks!

My favorite is the first sunset #11..... cold grey sky, sharp rocks, smooth water and a hot sunset. I love it.............I have a new desktop pic!

Thanks...and your welcome :)

So, do we have a winner yet? (or at least, a close 1st place)

I think I have it down to 3 now...

I took a tally and it seems that these are at the top of the WAMAS grouping:

-bromeliad (#4)

-tidepool (#6)

-lighthouse (#7)

-the big splash (#10)

-the wave hitting the cobbles (#11)

After adding in the preferences at the office and such, the top three are currently:

IMG_2430_filtered.jpg

IMG_3070_0_filtered.jpg

IMG_3963hdr.jpg

And those were my favorite three to begin with :laugh:

I veiwed the photos and asked myself which ones would I like in my home. For me it's 4 and 11. Great photos, you obviously know what you are doing.