Temperature

zygote2k

I'm wondering what the temp range is on any given reef tank? My tank at home (unheated) runs from 72-75 from night to day. In the summer, it was running 75-78. Is there a seasonal fluctation in temperature on the reef? What about a day/night fluctuation? Everything seems happy in my tank at its' current temp range- is this too low?

Someone did a poll some time back you can search for. All depends. Higher you run the temps towards the "edge", the higher the metabolism, and the greater the growth (for most coral, that is). Mess with the bull, .....

Fish, all depends where it came from. but the same principle applies. Higher metabolism with higher temps, but fishy might go bye-bye faster.

I would just shoot for middle ranges, keep fluctuations to a minimal, and play it safe.

Someone did a poll some time back you can search for. All depends. Higher you run the temps towards the "edge", the higher the metabolism, and the greater the growth (for most coral, that is). Mess with the bull, .....

Fish, all depends where it came from. but the same principle applies. Higher metabolism with higher temps, but fishy might go bye-bye faster.

I would just shoot for middle ranges, keep fluctuations to a minimal, and play it safe.

so what does it mean when my corals grow like crazy in 76 degree water? :blink:

Maybe it means they would grow super crazy in higher temperature. :wacko:

ummm need to see study findings on that one buddy. I find its best to duplicate nature as close as possible with some things.

http://ozreef.org/library/articles/tempera..._on_a_reef.html

http://www.reefland.com/rho/1105/reefc7.php

and.... well, you can do the search yourself if you want to see the rest.

In my old row house (which had zilch for insulation) the average summer temp reading (according to my thermometer (anyone care to discuss the accuracy of hobby grade thermometers?)) was 80-85. Any higher and I'd keep the halides off. In the winter the temp fluctuated from 68-72. Quite low in my estimations, but through any/all issues that I've had, I don't associate any of them with the temp difference/season fluctuation.

Garrett.

EDIT: That being said, in my upgrade I'll be using a ranco controller to keep the daily fluctuation to between 3-4 degrees.

Edited by gastone

Well, consider the places you find really colorful vast expanses of corals. The water temp is usually high 70s to mid 80s.

The Red Sea in summer months is ~79 in the north and ~86 in the south. The winter only brings a variation of ~3 degrees.

The Great Barrier reef is ~85 in the summer and ~70 in the winter.

Edited by SeanCallan

I just set up a single setpoint Ranco controller (ETC-111000) and keep my system at 79 degrees with a 1 degree differential. My system is set up in the basement, and have never had a problem with high temps (so no chiller) so a single setpoint controller is adequate for my needs.