What is a ballast?

sen5241b

A ballast also limits current in gas-discharge lamps. They are necessary because these lamps exhibit a negative resistance characteristic which would cause them to burn out quickly without the ballast. Incadescent lights don't need them because they have a postive resistance characteristic.

Edited by Origami2547

They're expensive and you'll let the smoke out of them if they get wet.

If they get wet, you can smoke em'??@?@?@? Yeah BUDDY!

Gunna go fry it now... lol

And lets not forget you also have; Magnetic, Solid State type ballast and then pulse start and probe start type bulbs that go along with those type of ballast. Now don't get worried there is plenty of information on the web for both types. You should mainly worry about the Kelvin values and the wattage.

Never let the smoke out of 'em. All electronic devices require a certain amount of captive smoke. It you let the smoke out, the device will stop working and may even become more susceptible to spontaneous combustion. This may then cause the smoke to be released from wood and other nearby organic and man-made substances, an ugly chain reaction that really isn't pleasant to consider! :eek:

you guys are always funny. That aside, I'm glad the question was asked - I knew only that a ballast is like the engine for lighting - take it away and nothing works.

Never let the smoke out of 'em. All electronic devices require a certain amount of captive smoke. It you let the smoke out, the device will stop working and may even become more susceptible to spontaneous combustion. This may then cause the smoke to be released from wood and other nearby organic and man-made substances, an ugly chain reaction that really isn't pleasant to consider! :eek:

So hold your smoke. Bob said so.

Replacing them is soooo fun........my eyes get blurry from all the wires.

some ballasts can get quite heavy to......must be the tar inside :biggrin:

Alright I cut them open with mu Saw-zaw but no smoke came out. Now what?

Check your purchase order to see if you bought the smokeless kind, if that is not the case then check your warranty because you ballasts were missing essential compenents :biggrin:

Check your purchase order to see if you bought the smokeless kind, if that is not the case then check your warranty because you ballasts were missing essential compenents :biggrin:

They're definitely the smoke type. When I plugged'em back in --then the smoke started coming out!

They're definitely the smoke type. When I plugged'em back in --then the smoke started coming out!

Great!!!! At least we know you got the product you paid for... of course now you need new ballasts because you let the smoke out....

Saw-Saw...

Free acro frag to anyont that can explain this clasic HowardofNOVA refrence.

Edited by Grav