Goniopora

zygote2k

Why are people still buying Goniopora corals? Maybe 1% of them survive in captivity. I've seen 2 local vendors selling them but no one ever talks about their mortality rates in captivity. These corals are best left in the ocean...

I've been told that they're actually doing much better in captivity now.

That's misinformation. There have been very few examples of this coral surviving in captivity.

i had my red/pink goni thriving for 5 months and now it is in Doug(dbartco)'s tank..dunno how it is doing in his tank...

uhhhh :blush: half was shaded and deteriorated. Moved it out into the light more, but continued to die off.

I have another red one that seems to be holding its own after some initial recession. Had since april, so lets keep the fingers crossed.

We had a talk at the frag meeting a few years ago from the goniopora guru. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Perhaps one of the officers has his presentation laying around somewhere if people are interested in keeping flowerpots.

Try www.goniopora.org

Garrett.

Most die within 6 months to a year. Don't Buy Them. Ask your local retailer to stop selling them.

Major steps in feeding and overall better chemical balances in synthetic saltwater has made goni's a coral not to fear... Ask me how many have died in my shop....ryhymes with "Hero". Feeding is a huge part of success.. Ask me what my mortaility rate is on green chromis.... why do people buy those? Bangaii Cardinals? Hippo Tangs? Powder Blue's/Browns, Copperbands? Acro's....dont get me started on SPS.

Dont fear the goni's!!! Just ask what you need to take care of them...not an upsell. Tropic Marin, Fauna Marin, Brightwell and Two Little Fishes make great foods that will ensure long term success. I have three service tanks wtih 'em....All three over a year old!

Just some input from a professional insider.

BTW, I have some killer Red's and Outstanding Blues that are doing amazing!

:biggrin:

Major steps in feeding and overall better chemical balances in synthetic saltwater has made goni's a coral not to fear... Ask me how many have died in my shop....ryhymes with "Hero". Feeding is a huge part of success.. Ask me what my mortaility rate is on green chromis.... why do people buy those? Bangaii Cardinals? Hippo Tangs? Powder Blue's/Browns, Copperbands? Acro's....dont get me started on SPS.

Dont fear the goni's!!! Just ask what you need to take care of them...not an upsell. Tropic Marin, Fauna Marin, Brightwell and Two Little Fishes make great foods that will ensure long term success. I have three service tanks wtih 'em....All three over a year old!

Just some input from a professional insider.

BTW, I have some killer Red's and Outstanding Blues that are doing amazing!

:biggrin:

Don't forget to mention the feeder tentacles coming out of some of the Frags. REALLY COOL

Here's some more info regarding this delicate coral:

Scientific Name: Goniopora sp.

Classification: LPS

Common Names: Flower Pot Coral, Goniopora Coral

Description:

Typically rounded or oblong colonies with polyps that have 24 tentacles. Similar species Alveopora, always has 12 tentacles. Color most often seen is green as seen in the baby above. Other more colorful variations exist including pink and purple as shown above.

Veron: Colonies are usually branching, columnar or massive but may be encrusting. Corallites have thick but porous walls and calices are filled with compacted septa and columellae. Polyps are long and fleshy and tentacles are normally extended day and night. Polyps have 24 tentacles. Different species have polyps of different shapes and colors.

Natural Environment:

Veron: Low to moderate current areas such as lagoons and often associated with turbid water conditions.

Care:

Hardiness: Goniopora is delicate and long term survival (>12 months) is probably less than 10%. Not recommended for the beginning hobbyist, although success is as much luck as skill at this point in our understanding of this coral. It does appear that the more colorful short tentacled specimens, like the pink and purple shown above are more hardy than the more common greenish brown versions with long tentacles.

Lighting: Seems to like moderate lighting in general. Brightly colored specimens seem to like the highest intensity lighting. The specimens above are all kept 24" under 400W 10K MH lamps.

Water Current: Seem to prefer moderate water motion which keeps their polyps gently waving in the water current.

Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 77

We had a talk at the frag meeting a few years ago from the goniopora guru. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Perhaps one of the officers has his presentation laying around somewhere if people are interested in keeping flowerpots.

Try www.goniopora.org

Garrett.

Justin Credabel. According to him, it's important to pick the right species and be willing to feed the right food. Not something I'd bother with.

Consider the question asked

1st a healthy coral. Shorter polyped Goni's. Red and Blue/Purple do great. Aussie collected corals seem to do the best. Additives such as amino acid and reef snow, along with a very small micron plankton with cause feeder polyps extend...at that point I have witnessed goni's eat cyclopeze.

The Red morph is by far the most durable.. I do agree that the greens tend to fade fast.

JMHO.... Dont shoot me!

All I have is my experience to share.. People who know me will tell you that I am not in this business for purely profit. I will turn down plenty of species that I know would sell in a heart beat due to their survivability rate.

There are alot of "breakthroughs" that hobbiest discover, maybe one day in the near future we will see a thread. "5 year old Goni!", dont know until we try.

Dave...

my hero.

I still have some green cloves for you... somewhere... I think.

G.

It's hard to forget a speaker with a stage name and a mohawk.

I have a big ugly worm somewhere for you as well.

The Red morph is by far the most durable.. I do agree that the greens tend to fade fast.

Can't say I've ever paid much attention, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any that weren't green.

There are alot of "breakthroughs" that hobbiest discover, maybe one day in the near future we will see a thread. "5 year old Goni!", dont know until we try.

Completely agree.

I still have some green cloves for you... somewhere... I think.

Didn't know the green ones could be smoked as well.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Had 3 neon green ones die in a row. Gave on them up after that... The last one I had did well, until my clowns hosted it.

Why are people still buying Goniopora corals? Maybe 1% of them survive in captivity. I've seen 2 local vendors selling them but no one ever talks about their mortality rates in captivity. These corals are best left in the ocean...

I've actually had really good success with this coral. I target feed with powdered Haliotis sorenseni.

You have any data that supports your 1% captive survival rate? If not I would suggest this topic be moved to the "Conservation Corner".

We have also had some luck with these. Got one by mistake a while ago, did so well and looked so good... figgured if I split it up it had a better chance. All 5 frags are doing well. I have one, My brother in CT has one and 3 customers... all doing great. Just over a year old I guess.