Mantis shrimps

zygote2k

mantis is gonna start killing stuff sooner or later (or break your glass possibly) and if it's not a nano it's gonna be pretty freaking hard to catch... just my two cents

It's a wives tale that a mantis can break glass fish tanks. Maybe a 12" mantis in a 10gal might be possible.

At 2.5" he can barely scratch my thumbnail when he strikes.

I have a big one in a separate tank which I have antagonized greatly. Sometimes with my bare hands. I've tapped him on the head before. It's a long story. Short story is, this guy just isn't aggressive at all. Some are, some aren't, I guess.

I have an emerald crab and 2 peppermint shrimps in that tank that I put in there to watch get eaten, and even holding the crab in front of the mantis with tongs, he just won't go after it.

He did eat a turbo snail, but I don't think he killed it.

Color me disappointed. I've been thinking about exchanging him at roozen's for a meaner one.

gallery_696_6_68274.jpg

If anyone has mantis shrimps and wants to get rid of them, I'd be more than happy to accomodate them.

Can't find any videos or hard facts about mantis breaking glass anywhere. Time to call Mythbusters...

Mind you I don't believe everything I read on the internet but...

"There are a half dozen species capable of breaking a standard glass aquarium," says biologist Roy Caldwell a professor at the University of California at Berkeley. Including, of course, the peacock mantis, which gets about 7 inches (17 cm) long."

Thats from a USAtoday article

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/apr...09-shrimp_x.htm

I used to have one in the main reef tank for years. It was a hitchhiker from some Caribbean Aquacultured rock. I couldn't figure out why I could never keep small fish in the tank. All the big fish were fine, only the small ones disappeared. I would put them in the tank, see them once or twice, and never again. Then I figured out that this shrimp-like thing was really a Stomatopod.

Great for a species tank or tank with large fish, not so great for a tank with "Small" fish.

oo oo oo I know him, he's done some pretty extensive studies on both mantis shrimp and blue ringed octopuses (he's probably one of the leaders on the blue rings), and from what I remember him saying, he keeps all of the mantis shrimp in his lab in extra thick acrylic aquariums or extra extra thick glass aquariums, however, this is in a lab.... I personally don't think a mantis shrimp will break your glass. I definetly think it's possible, but I also think there isn't much of a chance that a mantis shrimp is going to do it, and if it does, I doubt it would break the glass on purpose. just mygallery_2631577_443_148.jpg

I've had a small green smasher type for probably a couple years in my tank, starting as a 12g and now up to 30g. Rarely see him, never had issues with him killing fish, snails, hermits, etc. Well fed is the key IMO.

Kept him with clown gobies and never lost any to the mantis

Mine lives in a burrow under a rock with an Engineer Goby. The goby is about 4" and chases the shrimp when it goes in its' burrow.

I had a 6" Peacock Mantis in my old 90 reef and kept it with small fish and ornamental shrimps. I made sure there were always extra hermit crabs and snails around. I don't believe it ate anything other than the snails.

It would even battle the 8" Niger Trigger.

It is a fact that some really big ones are capable of breaking thin glass (and I have seen videos), but this is less likely than many other types of failures (it's also likely we could have an earthquake that could break your tank or a burglar could come into your house and shoot it for fun, etc)

I would not worry about it.

tim

Wow, this is a lot of good info. I wanted to make a small mantis tank but all the information I ever got from hobbyist or LFS was that they're super dangerous, break fingers, etc etc.

Are there places around here to find them?

Wow, this is a lot of good info. I wanted to make a small mantis tank but all the information I ever got from hobbyist or LFS was that they're super dangerous, break fingers, etc etc.

Are there places around here to find them?

Roozen's usually has some. They often have a good variety.

Roozen's usually has some. They often have a good variety.

Cool, I'm not familiar with Roozen's but it might be worth going up there just to have a look around

I plan to put one in my frag tank (I don't have one yet... but soon) to help improve my underwater reflexes. However, the wife wants to put pipefish in there instead! It is a battle of wills. Also, anyone looking to sell a frag tank let me know, especially if it comes with an evil thumbsmasher.

Paul

Cool, I'm not familiar with Roozen's but it might be worth going up there just to have a look around

Roozen's is very much worth the trip for mantis shrimp - last time I was there they had about 20. I really like the neon yellow spearers they usually have on hand.

(National Zoo got their peacock mantis from Roozens)

What are the requirements to keep a Mantis in a tank by itself (maybe with some LPS and softies) ?

I know the flow doesn't need to be great, neither does the light, but is there a water volume requirement, sand bed depth?

What are the requirements to keep a Mantis in a tank by itself (maybe with some LPS and softies) ?

I know the flow doesn't need to be great, neither does the light, but is there a water volume requirement, sand bed depth?

There are some with special requirements, but for most I don't think so.

I keep that bid one in my fuge with little light, very little flow (300 GPH), a couple inches of sand, and some rubble. He has made a nice little house using the rubble and sand.

tim

Anyone ever tried one with Old Bay?

Umm Umm good!