Oakton High School 40 Hex Seahorse Tank

L8 2 RISE

Don't forget to add unions to both the intake and return on the closed loop. If you have to do anything to that mag5 you will be kicking yourself trying to get it out.

Unions are some sort of valve to shut off the water, correct? If so, then I have two ball valves in there, but they're kind of hard to see since the handles are black instead of red... Is this what you meant?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi Sam, where is this tank at right now? Also, I'd still like to move it to the education forum if that's OK with you. We have a sea horse set up over at Floris now, just wondering if you ever got the tank up and running. One suggestion as you were looking for sand, I have gone bare bottom in most of the tanks at school to keep things cleaner. It probably won't be as big a problem with high schoolers as it is for elementary school kids, but we had a 2nd grader put a sandwich into a tank for Thanksgiving break... didn't want the clowns to get hungry I suppose.

(edited)

Hey,

It's at school now, filled up with fresh water, the last thing we need is some LR and we're ready to go for the most part. lol, I saw your post somewhere about a sandwich in a fish tank. I think we will still go with the sand though because of the piping that runs along the bottom. Hopefully we won't have the same problem ;), but thanks!

Tim: I told asked Dr. Wang if she knew you when we were talking about the tank, and she said yeah, but he wouldn't be into fish or anything like that and she wouldn't believe me until I actually showed her your account :lol2:.

EDIT: oh yeah, I don't mind where the thread is, it would be great in the education forum.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Sam, I have a 4 or 5 head hammer, plenty of dark purple schrooms, many softies, Gsp, and a decent rock if you want them for the tank.........

Sam, I have a 4 or 5 head hammer, plenty of dark purple schrooms, many softies, Gsp, and a decent rock if you want them for the tank.........

Sam, if some of these corals come on rock already you won't overload the system by adding them. Corals themselves don't produce all that much waste unless you feed them a lot. The rock will help to establish your tank. My suggestion is to add your salt, toss in some rock, no matter how little there is, and go from there. I think one thing that you'll find is that there are a lot of people in this forum who will offer you stuff but you'll always end up adding your own, too, as you'll want it to look how you want it!

Thanks a lot, I think I'll do that after spring break as it's only 4 days away... that way there's nothing to worry about. What do you all think of having corals under a 28 watt coralife 50/50? The softies/zoa's should be OK right... or not?

That'd be great!, but I need to get some LR in there first which is turning out to be rather tricky to get :wacko:. I'll be sure to keep you in mind :)

Sam,

remember to stay away from anything that stings. gsp, shrooms and softies great. Hammer might pack a wallop to seahorses.

An encrusting gorgonian is good, too, gives a little life to the tank. Also, since you've probably got a great art department there, ask one of the art teachers or art students to make you decorations for the tank. One of the 5th grade classes at Floris made some decorations for their tank that the horses could hitch on. They made them with Fairfax Earthenware White clay and fired them without any glaze. This is what the frag plugs you see made of ceramic are made from. I'll bet you could get some really great shapes in there that they could hitch to and then simply add some life to it.

Sam,

remember to stay away from anything that stings. gsp, shrooms and softies great. Hammer might pack a wallop to seahorses.

I have hammer coral and frog spawn in my horse tank, no problems yet. Going on six months.

I have hammer coral and frog spawn in my horse tank, no problems yet. Going on six months.

I'm happy your seahorses haven't had any run-ins with the hammer and frogspawn, but that doesn't mean it should be recommended. I kept seahorses for a couple years and let me tell you, there's nothing worse then seeing a horse killed by a coral. I learned the hard way. Its simply too risky, and while some have success, i say, stay away. The seahorses will be the stars of the tank, and since this is for a school, avoid any potential problems and play it safe.

Sam, PLEASE do not add the Torch coral especially. There are so many other beautiful and horse friendly coral. Including macro algae which looks fantastic in horse tanks. ( I just got 4 neat species, but there just little frags now, when they've grown out, I'd be happy to donate some for the horsies hitching posts!)

Also, you MAY be able to find someone willing to donate, or cut you a great deal on the horses. A lot of aquarists have so much luck raising H. ERECTUS, that they really have to give them away (I got 4 gorgeous 4" yellow and pink erectus from a hobbyist who simply coudn't get rid of them for just a few coral i traded.) If you post something on seahorse.org you *might* get lucky. (there is a online website SEAHORSE.ORG which is a WEALTH of information on seahorses, in case anyone didn't already know that :)

post-2631756-1238468709_thumb.jpgHere's a pic of my now dismantled 46 gallon bowfront reef seahorse tank. There's 4 ponies in there you might see if you look hard. Just to give you an idea of all the coral that can be kept with seahorses, without endangering them.

That's pretty funny. You can tell her I did ace biology in college.

Maybe it was the teacher...........only kidding :lol2:

Anyway, I have a pretty nice frog spawn (if you decide you want to keep it in there) I'd be willing to donate if you are interested. It's 4 or 5 heads with pink tips and green stalks. I also have a smaller zoo, maybe 10-20 polyps as well as some dragon

Edited by FishyTim

BTW I just wanted to make sure i didn't have a super dumb seahorse or really bad luck so I looked up seahorse compatibility with euphillia sp (torch, hammer, frogspawn) at http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/t...tankmates.shtml.

They are rated a 4 (from 0 to 4, 0 being safe and 4 being "has no business in a seahorse tank")

OK done preaching. I just love ponies soooo much :biggrin:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Never thought it would happen at the rate we've been going, but thet ank's been up since two Fridays ago and has been doing well. The one thing I'm regretting is that I either didn't rinse one of the buckets of sand I got well enough, or it's just super fine sand because I don't like how it looks on the bottom. I did the same thing with the rock from this tank with the leftovers from my aquascape at home. I just set up a 1/2 inch pvc frame and then drilled holes in the rock and stacked them on it. Closed loop is a Quiet One 4000 donated by Lifegard Aquatics, obviously it's a pretty clumsy set up, but it's better than nothing. We only have the shroom rock donated by wfoxfox in the tank right now, just to make sure everything's going well, but I have some other corals at home. Working on getting a clean up crew this weekend, and hopefully seahorses will go in the tank the week after thanksgiving weekend. I have the skimmer at home, but need to finish plumbing the pump to it.

BTW, doug, I read through the thread real quick and saw that you posted muchrooms as stinging corals that shouldn't go in the horse tank. Are they actaully or was it a slip? I thought they were pretty safe.

Thanks for everyone's help in this!

Sorry for the crappy images, had to use my phone.

100_3009.jpg

100_3017.jpg

100_3016.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3019.jpg

100_3021.jpg

100_3022.jpg

Sam, you might want to be careful of the closed loop. The way you have it set up, one bump and it could crack the glass. I'm not a big fan of having closed loops that have a pump that is hard plumbed to the tank itself. The holes in the glass can easily get stressed and the vibrations from the pump will spread to the tank. If you're going to hard plumb it, you might want to consider plumbing it so that the pump rests on the ground instead of being propped up like that on a bucket and books... the books could easily fall of the pile and then your pump is held vertically in place by the bulkheads and glass.

As far as the mushrooms, they do sting as they are related to anemones and polyps, somewhere in between. One thing to be very careful of is that they can get big enough where they can surround the seahorse and then digest it. A seahorse is not strong enough to escape from a mushroom that has encased it.

Sam, you might want to be careful of the closed loop. The way you have it set up, one bump and it could crack the glass. I'm not a big fan of having closed loops that have a pump that is hard plumbed to the tank itself. The holes in the glass can easily get stressed and the vibrations from the pump will spread to the tank. If you're going to hard plumb it, you might want to consider plumbing it so that the pump rests on the ground instead of being propped up like that on a bucket and books... the books could easily fall of the pile and then your pump is held vertically in place by the bulkheads and glass.

As far as the mushrooms, they do sting as they are related to anemones and polyps, somewhere in between. One thing to be very careful of is that they can get big enough where they can surround the seahorse and then digest it. A seahorse is not strong enough to escape from a mushroom that has encased it.

The closed loop is plumbed with flex pvc, also the return that you can see jutting way out into the tank will be changed soon to just one piece so that it doesn't jut out at all. It's only that way because lowes didn't have the right fitting at the time. I tried having the pump rest on the wooden shelf that I attached to the stand that you can see in the pics, but it simply wasn't getting enough flow into the tank. I could barely feel it. Next time I take the tank down I'll try and work on a better solution, and for now I'm working on getting a better stand in place, but I really don't have much else of an option right now...

Wow, I didn't realize they were any risk so I may end up having to get rid of them.

Thanks a lot!

Flex PVC will still allow the weight of the pump to be on the glass if it happens to slip off its stand. A shorter span of PVC, maybe even directly into an elbow, would alleviate a lot of the pressure on the glass (think pulling down on the hole versus putting a lever into the hole and pulling it). How big are the horses going to be? The mushrooms may not be an issue if the horses are big enough, but they still could deliver a sting to the horses and a sting on the mouth may be an issue for them.