Oakton High School 40 Hex Seahorse Tank

L8 2 RISE

I have been "hired"/allowed by my previous Biology teacher to set up a tank for the Oakton Biology department to be shared/mantained by the Scuba Diving Club. We had three tanks to starte out with, one of which was a 37 tall. The first thing I thought when I saw it was that it would make a great Sea Horse tank. Come to find out, all of the silicone is falling off and the tank needs to be resealed. Instead of doing that I sold all of the tanks and got about $75 total. The Sea horses as well as any other live stock (hermits, snails, etc.) are going to be paid for by the teacher/scuba club, but I have to set up the tank for $75. I plan on using the 20 sump that I got from Yauger a while back, but come to find out it's too small for my soon to be home system, as a fuge, and I'm also going to drill a closed loop into the tank.

I now have the tank, plan on drilling it this weekend, and will have it in school hopefully next week. Now "all" I have to do is somehow get 40-60 pounds of live rock, some live sand, and two pumps on the $25 of what's left. Obvioulsly that's a lot to ask of $25 and I plan on putting some of my money towards it, but, I and Oakton HS would GREATLY appreciate any donations of any supplies anyone can give.

Thanks a lot, and pics to come,

Sam

Donors that made/are making this possible:

-www.airwaterice.com: mighty mite RO/DI unit

-The Marine Scene: Mag 5 pump

-stevearlen: Money Donation

-Patti Bittner: Money Donation

-ctenophore: Blue counter current skimmer

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I live in the subdivision that borders Oakton High School. I'd like to donate $50 for this project. I can drop off a check at the school or mail it. Let me know your preference.

Steve

WOW! Thanks so much, by all means, whatever is easiest for you! I'm not really sure who you would make it out to... let me check with some people tomorrow and then tell you. Oakton's address is 2900 Sutton Rd., Vienna, VA, 22181, If you mail it, please address it to Dr. Grace Wang and it will come straight to us.

Thanks so much again,

Sam

Hi Sam, get in touch with... Susan Tompkins of Chantilly HS. I gave her some livestock a few years back from some of my tanks and she had mentioned that they have a large supply of aquarium equipment, just not lights. She might be able to help you out.

Hi Sam - this is a great project!! Seeing as Oakton is my ALma Mater - I would be happy to donate! If you are able to make it SUnday remind me and I'll give you a donation then, if not I will send it to Dr. Wang @ OHS.

Patti B.

Also, I have some additional equipment - including a couple of pieces of uncured base rock, HOB-style filters, and a 30 long (not suitable for display). You never indicated that you wanted these items when you won the auction, so I didn't bring them, but if you want 'em now, they're yours.

Hey Sam, I have a student who is also looking at doing a seahorse tank at school. I have suggested to her that she post up in this and seahorse.org to see what she can find out. She has already done a lot of research and has a nice powerpoint presentation on the basics of seahorses. What type of horses are you looking at? Also, do you mind if I move this to the education forum?

It's fine if you move it. I was looking at doing (excuse my spelling: kuda's or reidi's as they, from my research, seem to be the hardiest and easiest to keep, also, they are, in my opinion, "the perfect size".

I've sent an e-mail off to Mrs. Tompkins and am waiting for a reply.

Im about to send a PM off to stevearlen, thanks again!

And, MisterTang, Thanks for the offer, but I can't really see a use for those supply's on the tank right now, I'm planning on using LR for filtration, and maybe a skimmer if I can get a cheap/free one, Thanks again though!

Thanks a lot Mrs. B, will do, hope to see you sunday.

How cool!

I have 40 hex seahorse tank with 2 yellow reidis myself.

This is a nice tank for ponies. I tried not to build up too much upper part of it. Seahorses like floating in the open water column at "dusk" so 40 lb of live rock might be overkill. Think about extra water movement too - I have a powerhead and it helps alot with avoiding having dead pockets. Seahorses are sloppy eaters and lots of not-eaten food can accumulate really fast and mess your water chemistry. It's sort of a myth that seahorses do not like much flow. In reality they do much better with water movement than without.

Many people do not have skimmers in their seahorse tanks. I do not either, just HOB, and it works great. Lots of algea too.

I have some live rock I can donate as well as algea but I live in Germantown so if you can figure out transfer - be my guest.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

ok, time for an update (no pictures now, but by the end of the week ;)

I have now drilled and plumbed the tank with a mag five for the closed loop, and a rio of some sort (forgot which one) for the return. I installed a small shelf sticking out of the back of the stand to put the mag five on so that there werent pipes going everywhere. The overflow is just a simple pipe that water overflows into down to the sump, then flexible hosing attached to the rio for the return. I'm waiting on the blulk reef supply group buy to get some loc-line to finish it off though. We brought the tank into school yesterday and it is now set up there so I'm now ready to glue all the piping and get that finished.

:excl: Now for the inevitable: This tank is still quite a ways off from completion and any and all donations are very helpfull. I can get you a tax write off if you would like as well.

This is what we need, however, anything you think would be helpful is still greatly appreciated and will be put to use:

-thermometer

-heater

-Live Sand

-Live Rock

-clean up crew

-seahorses (probably not something that will be donated from an aquarist but worth a shot :))

-test kits (used new, anything

-food (for fish)

-MONEY DONATIONS- These are extremely helpful for keeping the tank going for all of the little things that really add up (plumbing, food, clean up crew, etc)

(the following are things that would be very helpfull in making the tank better, but are more day dreams than anything I guess :lol2:)

-chiller

-nice T5 or metal halide lighting for 18 or 21 inches.

ok, time for an update (no pictures now, but by the end of the week ;)

I have now drilled and plumbed the tank with a mag five for the closed loop, and a rio of some sort (forgot which one) for the return. I installed a small shelf sticking out of the back of the stand to put the mag five on so that there werent pipes going everywhere. The overflow is just a simple pipe that water overflows into down to the sump, then flexible hosing attached to the rio for the return. I'm waiting on the blulk reef supply group buy to get some loc-line to finish it off though. We brought the tank into school yesterday and it is now set up there so I'm now ready to glue all the piping and get that finished.

:excl: Now for the inevitable: This tank is still quite a ways off from completion and any and all donations are very helpfull. I can get you a tax write off if you would like as well.

This is what we need, however, anything you think would be helpful is still greatly appreciated and will be put to use:

-thermometer

-heater

-Live Sand

-Live Rock

-clean up crew

-seahorses (probably not something that will be donated from an aquarist but worth a shot :))

-test kits (used new, anything

-food (for fish)

-MONEY DONATIONS- These are extremely helpful for keeping the tank going for all of the little things that really add up (plumbing, food, clean up crew, etc)

(the following are things that would be very helpfull in making the tank better, but are more day dreams than anything I guess :lol2:)

-chiller

-nice T5 or metal halide lighting for 18 or 21 inches.

What kind of Loc Line are you looking for? I may have some extra I would be glad to donate.

Also, where are the pictures? You should know better, you can post a tank build thread without pictures.

keep an eye on the mag pump running external, they get very hot and leak. Also not sure if the mag 5 will be too much flow in the tank. keep and eye on that as well. SH like calm water.

What kind of Loc Line are you looking for? I may have some extra I would be glad to donate.

Also, where are the pictures? You should know better, you can post a tank build thread without pictures.

lol, I know!!!, I'll get them by the end of the week :). I'm looking for 3/4". Also, loc line pliers that I could borrow/have would be very helpfull too.

keep an eye on the mag pump running external, they get very hot and leak. Also not sure if the mag 5 will be too much flow in the tank. keep and eye on that as well. SH like calm water.

Ok, will do, it's on a shelf that sits right above the sump so if it does leak, the water shouldn't go anywhere. As for the flow, that is what I too thought and was planning on (low flow), but a few seahorse keepers on the board told me that they were fine with more moderate flow and would tend to swim around more that way. Also, the piping is going to split off into 2-4 different outputs and there won't be much flow coming through the sump return so I think it will be fine, but will definetly keep an eye on it.

Also, a few more things I forgot to add to what we need are buckets, and a refractometer or hydrometer.

lol, I know!!!, I'll get them by the end of the week :). I'm looking for 3/4". Also, loc line pliers that I could borrow/have would be very helpfull too.

Ok, will do, it's on a shelf that sits right above the sump so if it does leak, the water shouldn't go anywhere. As for the flow, that is what I too thought and was planning on (low flow), but a few seahorse keepers on the board told me that they were fine with more moderate flow and would tend to swim around more that way. Also, the piping is going to split off into 2-4 different outputs and there won't be much flow coming through the sump return so I think it will be fine, but will definetly keep an eye on it.

Also, a few more things I forgot to add to what we need are buckets, and a refractometer or hydrometer.

What parts are you looking for when it comes to 3/4? I definitely have 3/4 pliers you could borrow. I also have a hydrometer you can have.

sweet!, thanks, I'm looking for anything 3/4 inches, especially hosing, I'm going to need at least 12-18 inches of the hosing, I also need a few Loc-Line 3/4" NPT Connectector and then any of the nozzles, I haven't decided which ones I'm going to use yet, probably whatever I can get...

sweet!, thanks, I'm looking for anything 3/4 inches, especially hosing, I'm going to need at least 12-18 inches of the hosing, I also need a few Loc-Line 3/4" NPT Connectector and then any of the nozzles, I haven't decided which ones I'm going to use yet, probably whatever I can get...

I probably have some stuff you can have. If you want to swing by some time you can go through my box of loc lines. Actually, you can go through all my extra aquarium stuff and take whatever you want (I don't have a lot, but there may be some things in there you want). That much less I need to worry about.

Edited by SeanCallan

woops, sorry, I forgot to ceck this thread.

Sam,

Jon and I have some frags for you the next time we're in the same place at the same time as you!

Maureen

Awesome, PM on the way, thanks!

I probably have some stuff you can have. If you want to swing by some time you can go through my box of loc lines. Actually, you can go through all my extra aquarium stuff and take whatever you want (I don't have a lot, but there may be some things in there you want). That much less I need to worry about.

Thanks!, any chance we could meet at aquaco sometime, Alexandria's a bit too much of a drive....

I have a 3/4 lockline wrench thingy Donated to the club by GaryL. Will try to bring tomorrow to work (reston) or to the benefit sat

Darn, wish I'd seen this and picked it up at the benefit, how could we make this work? Meet at aquaco sometime, I meet you somewhere? What would be good?

So you got my old hex tank drilled? I hope you took action shots of it.

yup, but no, I didn't take pics, probably should have though :wacko:

ok, so I'm not so amazing at sticking to deadlines :wacko:. I had to take them all on my phone, so not the best quality. I rushed a little bit at the beginning of this set up and drilled way to big holes so had to make some of them smaller with pvc peices and such. Any how, I plan on finishing gluing it all together in the next 2 or so weeks (keep in mind that probably means 4 :blush:) Sean at Aquaco has graciously donated the live rock, so all I need is sand and I'll have the tank up and running. So, I'm looking for sand now, if anyone could donate some that would be great!!! Even a donation of 15 bucks would cover the sand so all I'd need is a couple cups of LS to seed it...

FTS, you can see the sump/refuge in the back.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

The mag five is sitting on a shelf at the bottom of the pic that I installed, and the return and overflow are at the top. I plan on getting loc-line to go from the flex tubing into the tank.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg