Where to buy locally large aquariums (200G)?

elm66

Before getting a glass cage, think long and hard about the maximum amount of water you would like to have on your floor at one time. Then order the tank based on those paramiters.

Sure it is nice to save a few bucks, but for a tank that only lasts a year or so, the price should be lower.

Never heard of a GC tank going bad. I've read about Oceanic, one of the 'top notch' tank builders, having many tanks break.

Never heard of a GC tank going bad. I've read about Oceanic, one of the 'top notch' tank builders, having many tanks break.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25627

Quote: "It really sucks that his Glass Cage's tank failed at the bottom seam. It looked like it was a really nice setup."

Just the facts as I understand them.

Rik,

I have replaced two GlassCages Tank this year alone. One was a 360gallon and the other a 320gallon.

Both GlassCages failures were at the bottom seam.

The GlassCages tank owners here on WAMAS that have not leaked/broken are very happy with their tanks. :cheers:

I think the 3-month (!!!) warranty is more than enough statement about that company. Most manufacturers are doing 3-year to lifetime warranties on large tanks now.

I would like more info on that. The only one I found that has a decent warranty is Marineland and that's if you use their stand. I've talked to Aquarium Obsessed, Miracles, and A.G.E (and a few others) and 1 year is all you get....A.G.E will give you 3 if you use their stand, otherwise it is 1 if you use a commercial stand. I'm looking for an 8ft long glass tank. If you have any suggestions, send me a PM. BTW, I bought my 90g and Bellus from you guys ;)

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/ma00300w.html

Limited Lifetime Product Warranty

Products manufactured by Aqua Plex Products Inc. / TRUVU Aquariums carry a lifetime warranty against leakage. Third party products distributed by Aqua Plex Products Inc./TRUVU Aquariums or included within our products are covered by that manufacturers warranty. Those third party warranties must be presented to their respectful companies.

I've had mine 14 years and counting.

I also have a 29 that I have had 12 years with zero problems.

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/ma00300w.html

Limited Lifetime Product Warranty

Products manufactured by Aqua Plex Products Inc. / TRUVU Aquariums carry a lifetime warranty against leakage. Third party products distributed by Aqua Plex Products Inc./TRUVU Aquariums or included within our products are covered by that manufacturers warranty. Those third party warranties must be presented to their respectful companies.

I've had mine 14 years and counting.

I also have a 29 that I have had 12 years with zero problems.

Too bad it is acrylic :( We really need a good glass builder around here.

Too bad it is acrylic :( We really need a good glass builder around here.

I have a 35 gal hexagonal acrylic tank from TruVu that I used to house my african cichlids in. I love the clarity of that tank. The only thing I dislike is that I have to be careful each time I clean that tank as to not get any of the sand onto the scrubbing pad and end up scratching the tank.

I agree with you though, we do need a good glass builder in this area. I've heard more bad things than good things about GC so going with them on my next tank upgrade is not an option.

Whats Turkish Football got to do with GC?

TFF

Search on Reefcentral, you'll see many more on GC quality. I just hope my 120 Oceanic TT holds for years

:biggrin:

You'll also find plenty or "other" manufacturers with blowouts, including acrylic. Bottom line is people buy these "larger" tanks because of cost and then build skimpy homemade stands. Then wonder why they break. Look at the stands from those of us who haven't has a failure and you'll see the difference. A piece of glass can only take so much twisting. Eventually the glass or silicone will fail. JMO

George

Geofloors makes an excellent point and indeed the GlassCages tanks that I have had to deal with have been on less than desirable stands. I run into this problem all the time where people want the big tank and then skimp on the other aspects of the system. Perhaps that is why the warranty is a 90day for GC. These lifetime warranty tanks are really limited lifeftime warranty's. They often pro-rate the tank over time and then base the replacement cost off of that. So if you have a 5yr. old tank and then it breaks where one of these limited lifetime warranty's are in place you will find that perhaps 50% is what they will give you towards another tank of theirs. READ THOSE WARRANTY'S CAREFULLY.

Superpets in Annandale sells all sorts of big tanks and they have them in stock too. All the way up to a 285g tank. They also stock and sell the stands. Pretty decent pricing too.

I noticed this weekend they have some of the big marineland tanks that were being discussed earlier (36x36 footprint)

I would also try ordering one from Wallys Aquarium in Annandale/Alexandria. I have gotten good prices on my tanks there for several years. Tom used to stock the larger tanks regularly, but I believe with the new ownership they have gotten rid of a lot of them. They can order though so I would check them out.

I got my Tech 120 there at a fantastic price.

Superpets in Annandale sells all sorts of big tanks and they have them in stock too. All the way up to a 285g tank. They also stock and sell the stands. Pretty decent pricing too.

This is where I got my Marineland 220 from , they are always running good specials on there tanks and generaly have larger ones instock.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sellling mine if your interested. Its beautiful (oak i think) and i have had it for abt two years. I am going to take a better pic tonight, but let me know if you rinterested. I am moving (it sucks)