Upcomming Storm

fishcam

Is anyone in the DC area preparing for the tropical storm thats supposed to hit tomorrow?

I'll be in Harrisburg, PA, away from my tank unfortunately.

d

yup, stocking up on water, batteries and inverter and candles.

Anyone have any idea on how bad they're saying it's supposed to be?

They say its only a tropical storm so a bit windy and a lot rainy!!

Hers is a pretty good site to track storms.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

I have to say I am still surprise at how delicate VA's power grid is.

I guess I will finally get that UPS I talked about getting after this spring's big storm.

Ron

Edited by onux20

yup, stocking up on water, batteries and inverter and candles.

Anyone have any idea on how bad they're saying it's supposed to be?

Fredericksburg is expecting 20 mph winds tomorrow afternoon along with rain.

We have battery powered air stones on hand.

I just checked the projected path of the storm, and Kent Island is going to get slammed. I'm right in the path of the it......Sat, going to be a blast. :biggrin:

check it out: clicky

I have a smaller tank and few power outages greater than a hour. I'll rely on my computer battery backup and a Black & Decker auto inverter ($26) that I can plug in in to my car's cigarette lighter. I doubt I will have to run my tank filtration and lights more than a few hours a day but then I don't have much in the way corals.

Up-date :eek:

National Weather upgraded the Tropical Storm Watch to a Warning for early Saturday morning through Saturday afternoon. Expecting; 4 to 8 inches of rain and wind gust 40 mph for the Metropolitan Area, Including the District of Columbia.

I'm picking up some ice to keep the beer cold for when the power goes out :drink:

Edited by Vader

We're in the Outer Banks at the moment and the storm is already hitting the area. It started to rain around 11:30 AM, and it's beeen pouring since. We thought about heading home today but then decided to stay until tomorrow. I don't have a generator or a battery back up in my house so if the power does go out, there is little I can do about it anyway.

Still have my Radio Shack power inverter and batteries for backup. Worked well last time. Will be stopping by Radio Shack again to pick up one or two extra batteries, just in case. Its not the rain I worry about, its the wind. Wind = downed power lines = no power, I think ...

Some warnings for those new to reefing and power outtages:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...00&hl=power

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...26&hl=power

(see post #20 for how I survived last time)

We've got the chess board out for power outages...other than that, no worries here. Between hurricane experience (families are from southern Mississippi and Alabama) and tornado experience from living on the fringes of tornado alley, this is but a bunch of rain. A good stir of the fish tank every hour or two should the power go out and plenty of reading and games, and we're good.

good luck all, hope to NOT hear of crashed tanks during/after the storm :)

Fredericksburg is expecting 20 mph winds tomorrow afternoon along with rain.

We have battery powered air stones on hand.

picked up the last battery operated airstone maru pets had on the way to work today...if all else fails then i will use an inverter with the 65 fury battery. just charged it up and ran the car btw.

Stocked up the beer and did a quick test of the 5.5Kw generator. I'm ready! :)

I'm not too worried about it though. Lanman is the only person around here who loses power in the storms.

After the last big hit, (I had no power for 3 days and had 4-5 customers with problems) we got every customer on at least one auto-on battery air pump. We own 2 inverters that I'll use if/when a customer has an extended outage, and 6 extra D air pumps sitting in stock.

I picked up a 5,500 generator that will keep all the tanks, QT system, and a fridge running. $700 but one less thing to ever worry about.

If anyone hits trouble let me know. This time we should have extra equipment to spare if you need it.

Phil

Phil@reefescape.net

(703) 943-6631

Edited by Grav

Prepare? Send the kids out to play in the rain! Fill up the rain barrels! Make and eat some cookies!

I have 2 battery backups that lasted 3 days last time. Don't forget to add a tube/cylinder over your airline tubing to create water movement. As for the rest of the day, our family will be canning peaches and will be very grateful for the cool weather as canning really heats up the kitchen!

so is anyone experiencing any tank issues yet from this storm?I was just over at AQUACO and Sean told me a lot of his service clients are already having problems..

so is anyone experiencing any tank issues yet from this storm?I was just over at AQUACO and Sean told me a lot of his service clients are already having problems..

My roomies monitoring the tank still have power! My backup is if the power goes out I'm gonna drive home (from harrisburg) and power an airstone with my car battery :) Yes, I need a generator.