Sharks teeth

Coral Hind

I just got back from Scientist Cliffs in Calvert Co. Maryland. I found about a dozen teeth each from snaggletooth, mako and tiger sharks. I found about a dozen dental plates from bonnet and eagle rays. I also found one mostly intact Ecphora shell. Ecphora is Maryland's state fossil. If there is a teacher that can use these in the classroom please let me know.

These items would be from the Early to Middle Miocene Epoch of the Neogene period, 15 to 18 million years ago.

If you find someone lemme know. I have tons of Sand Tiger Shark's teeth from my days teach scuba in Morehead City, NC. I'd find them on teh wrecks, throw teh teeth down my wetsuit and dig em out on the boat (which always was a bit of a show...)

Rebecca at cedar lane would probably take them. Heck, I would like to check them out! I will send her an email letting her know where they are.

Bit of a hike from Alexandria to Ashburn, but if anyone heading that way, post up. I'm sure if he is down that way, she'd do the same.

I would also like to have some if they are available for my classroom. We do a mini-unit on fossils and "make" our own using plaster molds. In the past I have also shown pictures of fossils that I have seen but don't have a whole lot of my own.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the geology behind sharks' teeth being found in that area, although I'm not familiar with the area, it's most likely due to the rifting that has occurred in the area. The Chesapeake Bay is an area that is an incomplete rift where the plate is being pulled slowly apart. Over the course of time, it has pulled apart and also gone back together. My guess is that the area is home to some fold mountains as well, which are caused when the land is being compacted and lifted some of it above the water line.

Dave,

I will give these to you so you can use them in your class and/or pass them around to the other teachers. Send me a PM so we can arrange a pickup.

I also have two fragments of fossilized coral which I found a few weekends ago if you want them.

David

Edited by Coral Hind

I would love to have them, PM coming. Doug, let me know if Rebecca also wants them and I can arrange to share them between the schools. We don't do our landforms unit until later in the year, so it's best to let her take advantage of them as well.

I was just looking at some fossil shark teeth that I got from the MD shore of the Potomac about 15 years ago. My daughters thought they were neat.

If a teacher could use some I would donate a few.

• 2 years later...

If anyone is interested in diving for Meg teeth off the coast of NC or Meg teeth and various other fossils in Charleston, SC let me know. I try to go several times a year. These are advanced dives. NC is over 100ft deep. SC is closer to 40 or 50 feet with very low visibility and high current.

I think Shark's teeth are very sharp and thanks for the other information about the Shark's teeth.

lol, gotta love trolls...

If anyone is interested in diving for Meg teeth off the coast of NC or Meg teeth and various other fossils in Charleston, SC let me know. I try to go several times a year. These are advanced dives. NC is over 100ft deep. SC is closer to 40 or 50 feet with very low visibility and high current.

I'd love to go, but I'm not exactly an advanced diver....

Wow, this was an old post brought back to life.

I'd love to go, but I'm not exactly an advanced diver....

Hopefully if you take Dave's Advance course this year you can join us next Summer in NC.

You can also find whale bones and fossilized turtle shells.. SO don't throw away things that aren't teeth.