A couple questions

L8 2 RISE

first, does anyone know if tek lighting has individual reflectors for each of the lights, or if it has one big reflector? Would anyone recommend this lighting?

second, I'm trying to decide what type of skimmer to get and I'm leaning towards euro-reef, but it's expensive. I've been talking to a few people recently about skimmers and a few of them recommended another skimmer that was either ATI or ASM, but I cant remember which one or if it was even one of these. Can someone help me out.

I have Tek reflectors for my T5 lighting. They are individual reflectors but were a "retrofit" kit. I'm not sure what the situation is on their pre-package, but I would guess individual. For skimmers, Euro-Reef is good, as is the ATI bubblemaster. Look at Grey Seas Aquatics as well - built locally by a fellow member. Excellent skimmers, rivals Deltec and definitely beats Euro-Reef. Costs less too. PM Dandy7200 for info. He's working on the national launch of the product line, so he's a bit busy. Be patient. All the good skimmers are expensive but are worth the money. If you buy a cheap skimmer you'll probably be buying the good skimmer in a year.

All the good skimmers are expensive but are worth the money. If you buy a cheap skimmer you'll probably be buying the good skimmer in a year.

Man if that isn't the truth. Who knows how much I could've saved it I had just started out with GSA and deltec from the start. Not just on money saved by not buying the prizm, ETSS downdraft, berlin, ASM, etc....but also think about all the livestock that might have actually lived if I had a much better skimmer and better water quality at the time.

Your skimmer is the heart of your system, don't skimp on it.

The Tek hoods have individual reflectors. A number of folks use them successfully. Mileage will vary based on how many bulbs you get, the combination of bulbs you use and the types of corals you want to keep. The ATI hoods seemed to get higher reviews, based on (supposedly) better reflectors, built in fans, etc. - commensurate with higher costs.

Oh, and the Tek units are pretty good, but there are alot of viable alternatives now. I would get a fixture with fans inside. It helps keep the bulbs from overheating and makes the bulbs last longer and perform better overall.

(edited)

ok, after looking at what you all said, I found some more lighting options, let me know what you think.

I still really like the Tek lighting just because it looks nice and a lot of people seem to have it and it's not rediculously expensive. I really don't want to spend more than $300 on the lights.

Sundial T5 lighting

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?P...amp;ProdID=1388

36" Nova Extreme Pro

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?P...amp;ProdID=1382

As for the skimmer, I've PM'd Dandy7200 and am waiting for a reply. Again, I'm shooting for high quality, and not too rediculously expensive. Deltec definetly is one of those high quality, rediculously overpriced ones so I think I have narrowed it down to ATI, Euro-Reef, or GSA

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I have a spare ATI Buble Master that you can try out to see if you like it.

Thank you very much for the offer, and I may take you up on it later, but right now I don't have a tank to try it out on. :(

(edited)

I'm surprised to see ASM in a list of inferior skimmers. Every review I see of them is great for the money. I believe several WAMAS members have them.

The ASM G2 should rock a 75 for $250.

I'd definitely look into GSA.

Edited by Larry Grenier

For a 75 you'd be looking at a GSA Shorty. I can't remember the price on that one. The Standard Six is $575 and suitable for up to 200gal.

Big fan of the Tek fixtures here. I have the 24" 4 bulb and 48" 8 bulb and love them. I've had one ballast go down but it was a simple replacement.

Scott

ok, I think I have good idea's on lighting now, so I'm just going to focus on the skimmer. Do you know what the next size up from the standard six is, what it's rated for, and how much it costs? I'm looking for something that is rated for about 250 gallons with a heavy bio load.

The ASM does a fine job but I can understand why it is rated as a cheap skimmer. First it has to be used in the sump unlike many of the other skimmers mentioned. The acrylic used in making the skimmer seems much thinner. Overal there really is no comparison between an ASM and for example a grey seas or Deltec.

I'm actually looking for an in sump skimmer, so I will definetly check ASM out. I just read the thread Origami2547 referenced, and I would have to go with a standard eight to get what I want done, done. I have plans for the future that need a bigger skimmer, but I don't want to release them yet as I don't want to get burned again as with what happened when I first got here and released my plans for a cuttlefish tank :wig:. The problem I have with the standard eight is I will be dishing out $700 which will definetly be hard to do. Even if I go with the standard six, it's more money than what I would pay for a euro-reef, and even then it's a lot. I think it's back to research as well as ebay :lol2:.

If you are interested in the ASM, I have a G3 I bought about a month ago from discretekarma (Scott Lumley). I have not used it since the tank I ended up buying came with a EuroReef. The G3 has the recirc mod with a Sedra 5000 hooked up for recirc, a Maxi Jet 1200 for the feed pump, along with the gate valve and the mesh wheel mods. I also have an extra new Sedra 5000 that came with it so you won't have much down time if the pump ever goes down. PM me if you are interested.

I'm actually looking for an in sump skimmer, so I will definetly check ASM out. I just read the thread Origami2547 referenced, and I would have to go with a standard eight to get what I want done, done. I have plans for the future that need a bigger skimmer, but I don't want to release them yet as I don't want to get burned again as with what happened when I first got here and released my plans for a cuttlefish tank :wig: . The problem I have with the standard eight is I will be dishing out $700 which will definetly be hard to do. Even if I go with the standard six, it's more money than what I would pay for a euro-reef, and even then it's a lot. I think it's back to research as well as ebay :lol2: .

The Standard-8 is the skimmer you want. I can be run either in-sump or external. With the option, I would always run external. The Standard 6 is equivalent to a Euro-Reef RC-180 or probably even the RC-250. I don't think you're going to find either of those for under $600.

Well I here you about price. I went from an ASM. I forgot the model but it was a pretty large one I think a 4x. I got a grey seas next. The grey seas will definitly skim better but I did feel the ASM did a good job for me and if you can get one at a good price it would be a good buy.

In the end this is a hobby and it seems you have your priorities right. The correct order of priorities for WAMAS members is 1) Tank 2) Tank 3) food 4) Tank 5) house 6) family 7)eat. The thing about the 3rd priority is I am talking about fish food.

In the end this is a hobby and it seems you have your priorities right. The correct order of priorities for WAMAS members is 1) Tank 2) Tank 3) food 4) Tank 5) house 6) family 7)eat. The thing about the 3rd priority is I am talking about fish food.

You forgot the car. For me it's 1)car 2)car 3)other car 4)tank 5)other tank 6)3rd tank 7)house. I have no time or money for frivolous things such as eating... Bah!

I'm surprised to see ASM in a list of inferior skimmers. Every review I see of them is great for the money. I believe several WAMAS members have them.

The ASM G2 should rock a 75 for $250.

I'd definitely look into GSA.

I agree with you. It's a great skimmer and a great value. I use a G3 on my 125+55+40. Always been very happy.

tim

ok, after some research, I found an ASM G-3 for $280 http://www.momsfishsupply.com/product.sc?p...rceCode=froogle

The standard eight for $700

The Standard 6 is equivalent to a Euro-Reef RC-180 or probably even the RC-250. I don't think you're going to find either of those for under $600.

and the Euro-Reef RS250 for $525 http://commerce03.i2net.com/able55new/stor...immer-P5C4.aspx :)

either way, they're all a lot of money and obviously GSA is the best, then Euro-reef, then ASM, but the ASM seems to have good enough reviews to be up with the Euro-reef, so that may be what I go with, I'm not sure yet though. I'm kinda hoping dan will have some of his stuff in a raffle or something at the fragfest and that I can win it :lol2:.

(edited)

ok, after some research, I found an ASM G-3 for $280 http://www.momsfishsupply.com/product.sc?p...rceCode=froogle

The standard eight for $700

and the Euro-Reef RS250 for $525 http://commerce03.i2net.com/able55new/stor...immer-P5C4.aspx :)

either way, they're all a lot of money and obviously GSA is the best, then Euro-reef, then ASM, but the ASM seems to have good enough reviews to be up with the Euro-reef, so that may be what I go with, I'm not sure yet though. I'm kinda hoping dan will have some of his stuff in a raffle or something at the fragfest and that I can win it :lol2: .

Don't confuse the Euro-Reef RS with the RC. The RC is the recirculating version - more expensive than the RS. There is debate as to whether or not it's better, most feel that it is, some think it's not, but there is no definitive research to prove either way.

Euro-Reef RC-250 is $1200:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1330

Makes $700 for the Standard-8 a true bargain!

Even the RC-180 is over $1000:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1329

Edited by Brian Ward

WOW! I didn't see that, If I went with a Euro Reef, It would definetly be the RS series, the RC is way too much, but wouldn't that be a relatively simple mod? Is the standard eight a recirculating skimmer?

WOW! I didn't see that, If I went with a Euro Reef, It would definetly be the RS series, the RC is way too much, but wouldn't that be a relatively simple mod? Is the standard eight a recirculating skimmer?

All of Dan's skimmers are recirculating. As far as doing the mod, it's somewhat simple but does involve drilling the acrylic housing, inserting uniseals, balancing the output, adding a gate valve, etc. When you go from the RS to the RC the quality of the acrylic goes way up as well and is the cause of much of the price increase. The RC is a much more durable skimmer than the RS - not to say the RS is bad, I'm running an RS-180 on my 120 FOWLR. I have the Standard-Six on my 120 SPS reef - and I like the Standard-Six MUCH better.