Drilling a tank without breaking it down

YBeNormal

I got tired of having an overflow with u-tubes on my 75g so I decided that I would drill it this weekend. I didn't want to break it down completely though and decided to drill it while it was still set up. I took a few pictures of the process I used in case someone else wants to give it a try.

Warnings:

- Be prepared perform a large and hasty cleanup if the tank cracks or shatters. Make sure you have money to buy a new tank, have lots of towels handy and make up a batch of SW the night before.

- Wear eye protection--this is a must when drilling glass.

- Hearing protection is recommended.

Preparation: I drained about 2/3 of the water into a large storage container. I then removed the top layer of rocks, all of the fragile corals, power heads and other items that might get in the way if the tank cracked and I had to catch my fish in a hurry. As you can see in this picture, I've already drilled the first hole before I decided to take pictures. Yes, that's right--I drilled the tank without even removing the fish!

DSCN9492.jpg

I needed to figure out a way to pump water over the drill bit while I was drilling the holes. I cut the top off of a square plastic milk jug and made a temporary shelf that I attached to my pine stand with two screws. You could find another way to support the water container or have someone hold it for you but I was working alone and this turned out to be the easiest solution. The container is filled with fresh water and I used a maxi-jet 600 with a section of tubing and a flow valve.

DSCN9493.jpg

I like to use a jig to hold the bit steady when starting the holes. I drilled a hole in 1/8" plywood and cut a notch at the top to make it easier for water to reach the cutting surface.

DSCN9494.jpg

I used aluminum foil and foil tape to make a funnel to catch the cooling water and return it to the gallon jug. I held the hose in my left hand and the drill in my right hand. I didn't have a spare hand to take a picture while I was drilling so you'll have to use your imagination.

DSCN9495.jpg

The wood jig was removed once the drill had made a shallow cut in the glass.

DSCN9496.jpg

I then finished drilling the second hole. When drilling glass, keep the bit cooled with water, apply very light pressure and let the bit do the work. Be patient and you should have no problems (if the glass is not tempered!).

DSCN9497.jpg

Installed the new plumbing...

DSCN9499.jpg

And the fish were happy in their newly renovated home. I still have to secure the plumbing, do some more cleaning and work on the aquascaping but this was enough work for one day. :drink:

DSCN9498.jpg

Very cool. I guess a person has to have a lot of space behind the tank to do that.

I have a broken down tank:) I want to drill any advice on how to tell if its tempered glass or not and how do you drill it steve out law said he wuld help me anyway hope you guys are doing well Troy

HAHAHAHAHA

and people didnt belive me when I said Ybes a bit off his rocker....

i knew you were gonna do this at some point, that marvel of a overflow box never did seem to sit 100% with you.

Did you tell your wife you were risking her carpet in the basement? or should i never mention that ever again :biggrin:

My mom would of sent me packing:) how did you keep the fragments of glass out of the tank?

Thanks everyone. We should do a glass drilling class at the summer meeting and let you guys actually do the drilling. It's actually pretty simple. Anyone work at a glass company that can get us a few scraps of plate glass?

Very cool. I guess a person has to have a lot of space behind the tank to do that.

My tank room is 9.5' x 11' so I have plenty of room for projects like this. :)

I have a broken down tank:) I want to drill any advice on how to tell if its tempered glass or not and how do you drill it steve out law said he wuld help me anyway hope you guys are doing well Troy

YGPM

HAHAHAHAHA

and people didnt belive me when I said Ybes a bit off his rocker....

i knew you were gonna do this at some point, that marvel of a overflow box never did seem to sit 100% with you.

Did you tell your wife you were risking her carpet in the basement? or should i never mention that ever again :biggrin:

She knew. She also knew that I might have to run to the store for a new tank if this failed. She's learning to accept the hobby. Not exactly a fan of it, but accepting it...

My mom would of sent me packing:) how did you keep the fragments of glass out of the tank?

It's easy. Tape a cup, bag or something over the inside area where the hole will be. I didn't bother though and all that went into the tank was a little bit of FW with glass dust and maybe a few very small splinters of glass. No harm done.

Thanks everyone. We should do a glass drilling class at the summer meeting and let you guys actually do the drilling. It's actually pretty simple. Anyone work at a glass company that can get us a few scraps of plate glass?

That woul be great. I drilled my 75 gallon tank about a month ago. I have plenty of plumbers putty to help with the drilling and a once used 54mm bit. I also noticed BRK has a shelf full of bits of various sizes.

What is the plumbers putty for and I won't be able to make it to the summer meeting as much as I want to... I have to be at some crazy zoo thing:) I've been to the last 2 meetings, as well as a few other events and this one seems really intreasting with all the do it yourself things!

She knew. She also knew that I might have to run to the store for a new tank if this failed. She's learning to accept the hobby. Not exactly a fan of it, but accepting it...

I see there was no mention of how big this replacement tank would be :P, glad to hear shes warming to the hobby a bit more .

I do need to talk shop with you about stands and a few other things later, Ill PM you with pics in the coming week i hope.

What is the plumbers putty for. . .

Plumbers putty is used to make a dam to hold the water around the drill bit. I prefer to just use a hose with running water.

See I am so mechanically inclined my dad is a mechanical engineer for the navy and fixes our fridge:) scary thought me fixing the fridge and my brother fixes high end cars then theres me who went to school for conservation biology .... Of my family all 20 adults that I actaully know half are teachers the other half are engineers and then theres me:P I'm that apple that fell off the tree! Rolled down a hill and into a river!

See I am so mechanically inclined my dad is a mechanical engineer for the navy and fixes our fridge:) scary thought me fixing the fridge and my brother fixes high end cars then theres me who went to school for conservation biology .... Of my family all 20 adults that I actaully know half are teachers the other half are engineers and then theres me:P I'm that apple that fell off the tree! Rolled down a hill and into a river!

LOL I know how you feel.

I'm a third gen aircraft mechanic. But now I like being in management at the current airline I work for so now I'm thinking of going back to school to get my bachelors in business management to work in a hospital. Total 180!!

Well drilling tanks is not hard it just take lots of water and patience. The putty is just a darn to hold water but when you finllay cut thru to the bottom you loose water and fast and that is where to trick is. You got to be able to keep drilling and pour water in order to keep the bit both cool and lubricated. Other than that just let the weight of the drill do all the work.

Planning on attempting to drill this tank on wensday cross fingers!

Go on to Youtube and watch the videos it has lots of great information on how and what to look for when drilling your tank. Its not as hard as you may think. In some of the videos the guys are drilling everything from twenty gallon tanks up to 400 gallons. The thing is watch and see the various ways the guys made water darns or used garden hoses to keep cool running water on the surface.

• 2 months later...

Great! I'm glad it helped. I will drill my 29g soon, just need to find the time...

i wanna do this to mine...maybe make it for 2" bulkheads. but i have no room behinf the tank :(

Do you know anyone with an angle drill?

Great! I'm glad it helped. I will drill my 29g soon, just need to find the time...

Do you know anyone with an angle drill?

yups..me but i need a large air compressor to run it. i guess i can ask around. do you have one bob? :biggrin:

Edited by GaryL

Nice, Bob.

I've been thinking about doing something similar but didn't think through how to get the cooling accomplished. Great idea.

Now, if I only had the nerve to go out on that limb.... :biggrin: