green hairy mushroom

These things apparently grow to monstrous sizes but don't multiply. I've had mine for a year and that's how it's been. I would like to know if these can easily be split. I really can't tell where the mouth on it is.

I had one that got to be 3 inches across, I felt this was too big, so I cut it in half with a razor and both halves healed nicely. After about one week of healing they were fine. One is in my office nano and the other in my 75.

I had one that was about 1/2 in size eigh months later it grew to an icn and a half. Then two months later is split and split and split. Today I count about ten in total.

mine don't look like that... but I have some that have split about 5 times in 3 months

(edited)

Mine doesn't look like that either. I got it from Antonio a year ago... this is the pic of his from his leaving hobby sale:

corales2113.jpg

The "hair" on it is not fuzzy, it's these weird things that looking like branched polyps. I can't tell where the shroom's mouth is . There a a couple spots where the "branch" things are a little bigger and lighter in color.... maybe one of those is the mouth, but its not in the center of the mushroom as one would expect.

I have some of the green with brown fuzzies mushrooms - totally different thing. Got those from him at the same time.

Edited by treesprite

if they are the corallimorph...mine split like crazy...just had one split on a shot glass i dropped into the tank....something about vodka?

The one I got from DaveS opens to around 6 inches. It's a terror, because every so often it opens wider than expected and any corals nearby had better watch out. One stung spot killed an entire porites. It is very cool, though. DaveS had mentioned that I could just cut it in half when I bought it.

Agreed and my clownfish thinks mine is an anemonee ! If you can't find the mouth put some food in its body and a purple mouth will come out!

I target feed over it and never see a mouth. The stuff I read about these is that they don't usually split or leave babies, just get bigger and bigger.

WOW those are lovely. I have a regular red maroon mushroom. Where did you get that nice piece from?

I originally purchased it off a guy on Craiglist. It only had about 2-3 med size pieces, the guy said I can cut them down the middle and they would mulitply. He didnt tell me that they get "angry" like the Hulk and get bigger too. Next thing you know the whole rock was filled with them. :eek:

we have 3 different people saying that 3 different mushrroms are green hairy mushrooms - we need to clarify this. I spent a long time looking mine up when I got it because Antonio gave me teh wrong name for it, so I know for a fact that the one I show pic of IS a green hairy mushroom.

(edited)

Are you sure that you don't have an elephant ear mushroom? I got a huge one from Antonio, and it has "branched polyps". It's different than the fuzzy mushroom that I have. Unfortunately I can't see pictures on this computer.... (Edited - my elephants actually do have dear mouths. I say elephants because the original has created a baby.....)

Edited by Hilary

Mine has a green body long frawn like spikes and a purple mouth it closes like aaneme when feeding and has a purple underside it hardly ever sends out a shoot, but it did once!

It came from dave lin's massive frag tank:)

(edited)

Are you sure that you don't have an elephant ear mushroom? I got a huge one from Antonio, and it has "branched polyps". It's different than the fuzzy mushroom that I have. Unfortunately I can't see pictures on this computer.... The elephant ear doesn't have a clearly-defined mouth, while my fuzzy does.

Mine came from Antonio a year ago - he mis-identified it.

These are types of elephant ear, which are Discosomatidae:

http://www.aquariumarts.com/giantelephantearmushroom.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...ticleid=2366%5d

This is a green hairy or green frilly mushroom, which is a type of rhodactis:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/...lides/index.php

http://reefermadness.us/HAIRY-GREEN-MUSHRO....351.2300.3.htm

Edited by treesprite

unfortunatley i need a basic photo class (hint hint chris) to figure out my settings on my camera.... its either makes it really blue or the flash filters out the actinics. 1361.gif

Mine is very bright green either way - all actinic or mix.

(edited)

so i think this is an actinic shot....i forgot i had it on the camera...cant remember the settings

Picture043.jpg

Edited by GaryL

That's not is. I'm afraid to cut the thing because it has those branching kind of things blocking me from seeing where the mouth is. I wonder if it would work like some other mushrooms where you can just cut off a corner and have it grow from that (people have put mushrooms in blenders).

Are these fairly easy to keep? Normally, I think mushrooms look plain and boring, but these are intriguing.

They are SO very easy to keep. They pretty much don't care where they are. I keep mine on the bottom but have had it up much higher in the past and it does well either place. Of course I'm talking about the kind in the picture I posted, not the others.