hobby inventions, innovations, ideas, etcetera

treesprite

Describe an invention you made, want to make, think about but cant make on your own, think about but know it is probably impossible to make, think you could make money off of, anything at all. Use your imagination.

My only idea is to do what marketing scam artists do with common and even disgusting substances... market them as something beneficial to health and self-care. Health nuts will do anything no matter the taste or smell. Wouldn't you want to buy something that sounds this good? "Super high nutrient-rich protien health drink extracted from coral reefs using a specialized fractionation process." I bet if we bottled and marketed the stuff right we could make a few bucks.

Actually I do have another idea. Fit into the glass or acrylic those glove things like scientists use or are used in medical stuff, so I can just reach into the tank at any time to straighten things out without having to reach my arm down into the tank.

Edited by treesprite

hmm if anyone has a good idea they actually want to work with let me know ;) recent business school grad and already looking to get away from the corporate 9-6 world!

i'm kinda lookin for recent grads (college biz degree or biz school) who're interested in starting/running businesses rather than workin for the man... want to meet up for lunch sometime?

hmm if anyone has a good idea they actually want to work with let me know ;) recent business school grad and already looking to get away from the corporate 9-6 world!

Don't post here. Once you post here, your 35 U.S.C. 102 bar time clock starts ticking (1 year). If you truly think you have a good idea and it is novel, not obvious, and possibly patentable, do not post it here. You may lose your rights to it, if it is really a good and patentable idea. Contact a local patent attorney and see if you can get something out of it before you donate it to the public for free. If you ever plan to patent your idea in a foreign country, posting here will immediately eliminate that possibility (for most countries).

Don't post here. Once you post here, your 35 U.S.C. 102 bar time clock starts ticking (1 year). If you truly think you have a good idea and it is novel, not obvious, and possibly patentable, do not post it here. You may lose your rights to it, if it is really a good and patentable idea. Contact a local patent attorney and see if you can get something out of it before you donate it to the public for free. If you ever plan to patent your idea in a foreign country, posting here will immediately eliminate that possibility (for most countries).

spoken by a true capitalist.

g.

is that a bad thing or something?

g.

g.

Guilty as charged (although I've been told I have communist leanings) :)

On the other hand, if its just a cool little tip or trick or technique to help us in the hobby, post away! I need all the help I can get! :)

Neat, you a patent lawyer or just full of random facts.

There is actually an interesting story about a related hobby item that I'm sure everyone here knows.

It seems that there was once this aquarist who got tired of listening to the gurgle and splash of the cascading water down his overflows. So this intrepid aquarist decided to fix the problem. He invented a type of standpipe that would reduce the noise of the overflow. He then decided that this idea was really nifty and worth sharing. At that point, he could have applied for a patent (and if he had would probably at least have enough income to support his reefkeeping hoby). Instead, he chose to post his design and plans for all to use. His placing of the idea in the public domain, prevented it from being patentable. Shortly after publishing his idea, a major aquarium manufacturer offered a new kit that looked remarkably similar. Now, the downside is the inventor could claim no royalty from his design, the upside is the aquarium company could not claim a 20 year monopoly on the design either. So, for his unselfishness I salute Richard Durso, inventor of the Durso standpipe. And now you know the rest of the story...

dfidn't someone here make a thing once to scrape asterinas off of the tank walls... or something?

I've got this idea for a plug in, submersible, self contained device to move water around the tank. It will be held on to the glass by suction cups. Once I get this idea patented and mass produced, I'm going to start working on a device that will control the force of the flow of these devices, maybe even alternate the flow between multiple devices. And then, since the suction cups are destined to fail causing a sand storm and chaos in the tank, I will patent a magnetic holder that I will charge a nominal fee for, that will replace the failing suction cups.

I am going to be RICH!! :cheers:

Neat, you a patent lawyer or just full of random facts.

Guilty as charged, again. I am a Registered Patent Attorney and card-carrying nerd.

My practice is mostly biotech and chemical (pharmaceuticals, genes, proteins, vaccines, assay kits, transgenics, magic potions, snake oil, etc.) :)

I've got this idea for a plug in, submersible, self contained device to move water around the tank. It will be held on to the glass by suction cups. Once I get this idea patented and mass produced, I'm going to start working on a device that will control the force of the flow of these devices, maybe even alternate the flow between multiple devices. And then, since the suction cups are destined to fail causing a sand storm and chaos in the tank, I will patent a magnetic holder that I will charge a nominal fee for, that will replace the failing suction cups.

Hmm, I'd do a quick search first. Sounds a lot like this:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...amp;RS=aquarium

And for more fun, you too can do a quick patent search (issued or just published) at the USPTO website here:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

Just try a "quick search" and enter the word "aquarium" or phrase "protein skimmer." All kinds of neato stuff comes up. :scuba:

Edited by Sharkb8

Is my stratos sided overflow design patentable? I've had several comments that it is, but not sure what good it would be to even have a patent unless a tank manufacturer bought it, plus I don't know if it is really all that novel. Though I still have not run across it anywhere yet.

_Matt

Anybody interested in opening up a saltwater store in the Springfield or Nova area? :rollface:

Seems like all the good stores are soo far away like BRK

Anybody interested in opening up a saltwater store in the Springfield or Nova area? :rollface:

Seems like all the good stores are soo far away like BRK

Oh that would be so awesome. But I think we are getting off of poor treesprite's original topic ... :bluefish:

Why not go for flow devices on tracks that can be programed with a special wavemaker device that can control position in addition to time? I personally would put them behind black covers for aesthetic purposes and to keep cr*p from getting in the tracks and preventing the devices from movement. Track comes in various lengths. Tracks will be help on with suction cups but for a small amount of additional money a magnet mod can be purchased. Also for an additional amount a specially designed track-cleaning brush can be purchased. Upper rail of track has an opened spot so that device can be removed from track easily for cleaning or replacement. Devices come in various flow strengths, however larger ones are rather weighty and for those the suction cups and even mag mod may not be sufficient, therefore tracks may need to be permanently mounted onto the aquarium walls.

What about a simple invention of powerhead stands that have adjustable width clamps and adjustable height? Or build powerhead clamps directly into holes drilled into the back of the tank? Do away with suction cups and magnets entirely.

Someone invent a submersible that will seek out and destroy aiptasia.

I used to come up with ideas... many of them were later sold in various forms. You would be surprised at what you might come up with if you write down all the hair-brained ideas you have.

Mine - back when cell phones weighed 5 pounds - small, light-weight walkie-talkies especially designed for kids, with a range of several miles, so their parents could call them home for supper, and they could call the folks for permission to keep playing after the street lights went out.

Fancy covers for cell phones, designed to attract women and children.

A 'service' which you would call, dial in your phone number and select a time. The service would automatically call you back at the pre-determined time. Great for getting out of boring meetings, waking up to a telephone call in the morning when you overslept your alarm, etc.

I had a bunch of them. The patent process, being a huge mystery to the average person, is probably badly underused by some, and overused by others. The 'services' that offer to patent your ideas for you can be crooks. I know a woman who invented something and sent it to one of those companies. About 2 years later, her EXACT product was for sale in stores, and the company had said they couldn't patent it - and sent her idea back to her. Wish I could remember what it was - something like blankets with pockets in them...

So good luck to anyone that has a get-rich-someday idea!

bob

people make a fortune off of some of the smallest and simplest things.

OK, SharkB8. First I see you copying my license plate with your name on here. (My MD plate is SHARKB8; diver humor). Now I find out that you, too, are a patent attorney. You copying me or something???

Where do you work?

OK, SharkB8. First I see you copying my license plate with your name on here. (My MD plate is SHARKB8; diver humor). Now I find out that you, too, are a patent attorney. You copying me or something???

Where do you work?

Oops! Well, I guess the word "Sharkb8" isn't exactly original. Being that I'm an attorney, it was intended as a double entendre. As for the rest, I will PM - we are getting off topic again.

Oops! Well, I guess the word "Sharkb8" isn't exactly original. Being that I'm an attorney, it was intended as a double entendre. As for the rest, I will PM - we are getting off topic again.

Hey, no offense taken. Just having a little fun.