Paint

Carl

I'd like to paint the back glass of my 75 gallon glass tank.

The outside back...not the inside back.

Any recommendations on what paint (I assume spray paint) would work best?

-Carl

(edited)

Chris, I have spent the past two weekends going from HD to Lowes to HD to another HD.

I've designed the plumbing for a CL and a sump for my 65 to 75 upgrade project I'm working on. I get to the store, and they don't have 1/2 the parts, so I redesign on the spot, sitting on the floor of HD putting the pieces together, I get home...and realize I have the male slip 1/2 inch, and need the female threaded 3/4 inch...I have about 150 plumbing parts for this project all over my kitchen counter...3/4 of which are going back to the store unused.

I hope this is not an indication of the problems I'm going to have plumbing the 500...

My 65 with hang-on-back-skimmer and no sump...is SO simple...but NO...I wanted a sump and refugium...and decided to upgrade to the 75...

And now I need to paint the back glass...another trip to HD/Lowes...

Sorry...been a frustrating weekend dropping in at the stores in between the kids karate, ballet and birthday parties....

Chris, since you asked...update on the 500...i have the tank, stand, pumps, 2 water change barrels, skimmer, a whole lot of dead LR, and auxillary lighting. I may even have a refugium. I'm still in search of some lighting, a sump and the energy to put a drain in the fish room floor. I wish I had the time and $ to finish it...

Krylon fusion in black you can get at most any craft store but not home depot or lowes

thanks Jason...I assume I can get it at Michaels or similar...

Have you used it? Has it held up to time and salt water?

-Carl

Edited by Carl

Ive been using adhesive vinyl on my past two tanks. Works really well :) No overspray to hassle with.

You can get it at any sign shop that cuts vinyl. Should be $8-10.

Carl,

I spray painted the back of my 30 gal reef tank and my 35 flat back hex tank that I once had. The paint I used was not Krylon, I think the brand was American or something like that. Anyway, it worked for both tanks. For my 30 gal, I think I used 1.5 spray cans of the dark blue color paint.

I feel your pain for having to find plumbing parts. For me, not knowing anything about plumbing and having to try to find something and not know if what I'm looking for is there or not, makes it that much more difficult. This last time for me was quite a bit less painful. I dragged YBeNormal to HD with me and got him to help me find the parts.

Ive been using adhesive vinyl on my past two tanks. Works really well :) No overspray to hassle with.

Eric,

How does it stick? Glue like duct tape? or more like a post-it note?

Does it form bubbles under the vinyl?

-Carl

Eric,

How does it stick? Glue like duct tape? or more like a post-it note?

Does it form bubbles under the vinyl?

-Carl

It is self adhesive. (and removeable should you ever want to take it off or change colors). Same stuff they use to make signs and lettering and almost all those "racecar" Hondas you see around town :hammer:

No bubbles if you put it on right. Just use some soapy water and squeegy (or credit card). I can help if you want, my office is in Alexandria.

(edited)

Is there one in Silver Spring? Info please :)

Edited by 143gadgets

It is self adhesive. (and removeable should you ever want to take it off or change colors). Same stuff they use to make signs and lettering and almost all those "racecar" Hondas you see around town :hammer:

No bubbles if you put it on right. Just use some soapy water and squeegy (or credit card). I can help if you want, my office is in Alexandria.

YES! I am interested in some help. Do you know of a place near Kingstowne/Alexandria/Springfield that sells the self adhesive?

-Carl

(edited)

I used Krylon Fusion spray paint, but imagine any spray paint will do.

If you guys want to use vinyl, I remember a custom sticker shop in Springfield off of Backlick Rd near the Toyota dealer. I'm sure you can also find places in the superpages, but I think it's going to cost more than $8-10 for 500g sized tank.

Edited by tygger

(edited)

I used Krylon Fusion spray paint, but imagine any spray paint will do.

If you guys want to use vinyl, I remember a custom sticker shop in Springfield off of Backlick Rd near the Toyota dealer. I'm sure you can also find places in the superpages, but I think it's going to cost more than $8-10 for 500g sized tank.

The first project is an upgrade to a 75 gallon glass tank...this NEEDS to be done by the end of June... when my sister is taking the old 65 for herself.

The 500 is acryllic, and well...that project has been going on longer than anyone else's I know...In fact, I know several WAMAS folks that are on their THIRD tank...and I still don't have the 500 set up yet.

Eric...will it stick to acryllic as well??

Edited by Carl

Krylon Fussion scratches too easily as I have discovered actually. The 65 to do the back of it I used regular latax paint, but of course that's not in the water. The 45 was painted with that plastic dip stuff that you use to dip tool handles in or is used on boats sometimes... it's like rubber once it dries and will feel off in one big piece of sheet rubber if you are careful enough.

(edited)

It sticks to acrylic, though perfect measurements might be needed. You cant trim the vinyl with a razorblade like you can on a glass tank. For my two tanks, Ive sprayed soapy water on the outside surface, removed the backing, stuck it on and positioned it. Then use a squeegee to push out bubbles to edge and use a razor blade right by the edge of the tank's trim.

Whoops.. didnt know it was a 500G tank you wanted :) That will be a lil more than $10 :P

Both the 75G and 125G was $10 each.

Chris, the place I use is in Wheaton, MD (http://www.raceapeel.com). He cuts all me stickers for the business so I usually just walk in and he cuts me a quick sheet. If you guys want, give me dimensions and I can have it cut for you (exact to glass size, or over sized so you can trim yourself).

Carl, im sure there is a sign shop in your area, but I can also get a sheet cut for you if you want. Just give me dimensions.

Pretty sure anything from the 55G to 125G (24" tall) range is about $10. Anything taller than 24" might cost more because it needs a taller roll.

Edited by magnetic1

(edited)

Just talked to Chris on the phone and he told me MarineDepot sells something similar... it's just like this stuff, only cheaper :)

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...nd~vendor~.html

The link above didn't work.

NEVERMIND...I found it at Marine Depot...

What colors are you able to get me from your "connection"?

I want a dark blue.

-Carl

Edited by Carl

(edited)

The link above didn't work.

NEVERMIND...I found it at Marine Depot...

What colors are you able to get me from your "connection"?

I want a dark blue.

-Carl

They have dark blue... but many different shades of it. See if there is anything you like here:

http://raceapeel.com/colors/standard.shtml

http://raceapeel.com/colors/high_perf_p1.shtml (pages 7-8 have the colors that might suit you)

Metallic colors (probably costs more, but I dunno how much more): http://raceapeel.com/colors/metallic_p2.shtml

http://raceapeel.com/colors/ultra_metallic.shtml

And these shift colors (sounds interesting, but dunno how it would look in a reef tank):

http://raceapeel.com/colors/flip_colors.shtml

Edited by magnetic1

(edited)

I like the Dark Navy Blue A8597-0.

Do you want to help arrange this?

Or should I can them directly? Should I ask for someone in particular? like a buddy of yours?

Do they ship the racepeel? Or do I need to pick it up?

-Carl

ADDED:

I just called...they said I could come by with the dimensions, and they'd cut it on the spot for me.

Edited by Carl

I like the Dark Navy Blue A8597-0.

Do you want to help arrange this?

Or should I can them directly? Should I ask for someone in particular? like a buddy of yours?

Do they ship the racepeel? Or do I need to pick it up?

-Carl

ADDED:

I just called...they said I could come by with the dimensions, and they'd cut it on the spot for me.

Chris just went by and they quoted him a much higher price than what I normally get. Id call and get a price quote on a specific size. Let me know what they price it at.

Eric,

Have you worked with one person in particular?

Do they quote different prices if you are a friend?

Chris - What size were you trying to get? and what did they quote you?

-Carl

(edited)

Eric,

Have you worked with one person in particular?

Do they quote different prices if you are a friend?

Chris - What size were you trying to get? and what did they quote you?

-Carl

Chris got a 48x24 black vinyl. They quoted him $40, but after some haggling, they reduced the price.

Speak to Dave, and tell him Eric Wong sent you. Ive been working with Dave the most there (he is also the owner). If the price is $20 or more for 48" long, PM me and I'll pick it up for you.

Edited by magnetic1