Run Carbon and Phosphate remover in the same reactor?

bk_market

i been reading and seem like I can run reef carbon and phosphate in the same time in the reactor? Anyone do this? Also im not quite sure but im planning to get Two Little Fishies Aquarium Phosban Reactor 150 for my 90g tank.

If I decide to run both what pump should i get for it and is it enough for my tank? thanx

I've been doing this for more than a year. Pump = maxijet 1200

(edited)

I've not done it in the same unit, but you shouldn't need more than a small pump......mini-jet or something like that. You want the flow through the reactor to be fairly slow, likely under 80gph (well under) = most any small pump will do. Pretty much the same for carbon, no real need for high flow through that either.

Going to the meeting? I have a mj400 laying around..........I think.

Edited by ErikS

i will be at the meeting :D

I'll double check when I get home & send a pm. I'm 90% certain I have one........just want to be 100% certain. :biggrin:

I run both on my system as well. Since I run just a little bit of carbon (1/4 to 1/2 cup) at a time, I cut a foam separator to keep the two media separate in my reactor. I keep the carbon on top so that I can change it out more frequently since my GFO phosphate media generally lasts longer.

I run both on my system as well. Since I run just a little bit of carbon (1/4 to 1/2 cup) at a time, I cut a foam separator to keep the two media separate in my reactor. I keep the carbon on top so that I can change it out more frequently since my GFO phosphate media generally lasts longer.

<TJ>

How do you determine the correct flow (i.e. most say media "boiling at the surface")?

</TJ>

I use a pump that's rated for under 100 gph with no head. It gives far less than that with the media in-line. The pump also comes with a small ball valve that fits on the output side. This gives me the ability to turn the flow down as I need it. Most of the time, I run it wide open without problem.

:lol: It would seem I wasn't very clear. I know what TLF recommends, they also recommend "until the media just boils at the stop" (specific gph isn't definitive as there are many factors such as the amount of media....etc).

So my question - if you're running carbon on the top (or bottom) are you just measuring the flow?

Really just a curiosity question - see how others are using them.

I run both together in one of Dans GSA reactors. I run about 1 1/2 cups of PhosBgone and 2 1/2 cups of carbon. I found that it works better when I put the carbon on top of the PhosBgone. I run mine with a Maxijet 1200 and seems to work pretty well.

I run mine with about an inch or two of carbon on top of the phosban. I read that you don't want the phosban to get stirred up too much inside the chamber and that you only want enough water pushing through to where you can see a bit of activity and that's it. That's how I do mine. Though I do like Origami's idea of separating the carbon from the phosban so you can do more frequent carbon changes.

I have run them both in the past , but I find that they are more effective separate. The carbon needs more gph to tumble than the phosban, IME. I have never used anything else so I can't comment on those.

I run mine with about an inch or two of carbon on top of the phosban. I read that you don't want the phosban to get stirred up too much inside the chamber and that you only want enough water pushing through to where you can see a bit of activity and that's it. That's how I do mine. Though I do like Origami's idea of separating the carbon from the phosban so you can do more frequent carbon changes.

Yep, it will grind itself to dust if the flow is too strong.............too weak & it turns into a lump.

I also like running the carbon last, as mentioned due to higher change frequency........and.........it keeps the fines from going into the tank (even when rinsed some destruction does occur).

I just happen to use a separate carbon filter...............for no real reason other than I had a Sat afternoon, some acrylic scrap, and figured what the heck :lol:

I was just interested in how those who combine it into one unit measure/set the flow.