product comparison

jamal

i am getting a new ro/di unit soon and i was looking at the typhoon and the typhoon 3 for the differences. can you tell me what they are?

i am getting a new ro/di unit soon and i was looking at the typhoon and the typhoon 3 for the differences. can you tell me what they are?

Just by looking at the website it looks like the 3 comes with a handheld TDS meter and an RO sample port that bypasses the DI. Good luck.

i wonder if the pressure gauge can be added as an option since pressure is so important to production levels. id rather not pay the extra to get the extreme just for the gauge.

The Typhoon III includes a hand held TDS meter, fast flush valve, DI bypass and RO-only valve. It also included a pressure guage when I bought mine years ago but I don't see that listed as a feature now. It takes 20 seconds to add one on though.

The Extreme Typhoon is the same as the Typhoon III but has a 150gpd membrane and includes a pressure guage, dual inline TDS meter and float valve.

Maybe you will get lucky and win the Extreme Typhoon III that we will be raffling at the spring meeting?

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20951

thanx bob that is great. if you know how to do it i may have to drive to manassas again. it is especially important because i have alot of water pressure coming out of my faucet.

Jamal,

The pressure gauge, or at least the one sold by AWI, has the same push in fittings used throughout the AWI units. You simply cut the RO tubing where you want to install the gauge then push the tube ends into the left and right sides of the gauge. It doesn't matter which end is input or output. 10-20 seconds and you are done.

I wish my house had a lot of water pressure but I only have ~38 pounds to the unit and have to use a booster pump.

Their website doesn't show it, or at least didn't the last time I looked, but the Typhoon III that I got during the recent group buy had the pressure guage installed in the bracket

Their website doesn't show it, or at least didn't the last time I looked, but the Typhoon III that I got during the recent group buy had the pressure guage installed in the bracket

My T III also came with the pressure gauge installed in the bracket. I purchased it about two to three months ago.

That's what I thought and that makes the Typhoon III an even better value compaerd to the base Typhoon. More than one person I know has purchased the Typhoon then ended up buying most of the extras, spending quite a bit more in the process. Get it all up front and save your money.

Guest beatle

Add me to the list of people who bought the base Typhoon and wished he'd bought the III. Their site doesn't really have a great breakdown of what all the differences are. It looks like the DI bypass, pressure gauge, and TDS meter are the differences.

The Typhoon III includes a hand held TDS meter, fast flush valve, DI bypass and RO-only valve. It also included a pressure guage when I bought mine years ago but I don't see that listed as a feature now. It takes 20 seconds to add one on though.

The Extreme Typhoon is the same as the Typhoon III but has a 150gpd membrane and includes a pressure guage, dual inline TDS meter and float valve.

Maybe you will get lucky and win the Extreme Typhoon III that we will be raffling at the spring meeting?

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20951

I don't understand what the difference in the RO-only and the DI bypass are? Does the RO only skip the carbon (And if so why would you want to do that?)?

i think the ro only does all filtration except the di resin. this is in case you wat to drink the water or test the water comin out before the di to see how hard that stage is working

i think the ro only does all filtration except the di resin. this is in case you wat to drink the water or test the water comin out before the di to see how hard that stage is working

but then what is the di bypass?

I also own a typhoon 3 and upgraded it to use the 150gpd membrane. I have 80 psi of water pressure pressure at the meeter and before installing the 150gpd membrane was reading 80 psi at the filter....since installing the 150gpd membrane the pressure has dropped to little less then 60 psi at the filter but I also changed.....wait, off topic.....

yes, the AWI typhoon 3 or extreme (if you have the water pressure) is a great product. their support is good and should filter all the water you need.....it comes complete and ready to setup. Can easily be attached to a wall or board if need be. I added an inline TDS meter to my unit and was the best add-on I made. I use the inline meter to quickly measure how much disolved solids are entering the unit (~128 for me) and when to change filters (>0 TDS in production water). Think the extreme unit has that as a standard item....make you decision on your known water pressure taking into account the lower water pressure in the colder months.....if somewhat low pressure, either get a booster pump or stick with the T3.....

Even with ~60 to 80 psi and the 150gpd membrane, this setup is not capable of producing 150gpd in production water.....other than that, great unit.

Edited by kngfisher

I also own a typhoon 3 and upgraded it to use the 150gpd membrane. I have 80 psi of water pressure pressure at the meeter and before installing the 150gpd membrane was reading 80 psi at the filter....since installing the 150gpd membrane the pressure has dropped to little less then 60 psi at the filter but I also changed.....wait, off topic.....

So by upgrading to the 150gpd membrane from the 75gpd did your rate of product water produced increase or decrease? Also, did the tds coming out of the membrane increase after you upgraded?

Thanks,

_Matt

rate of production increased w/ no change in TDS out....remained zero. Noise of the unit increased however....looks like they changed the design/source of their flow restrictor again on their site.

Edited by kngfisher

Jamal, I bought my Typhoon III last fall and it came with a pressure gauge. I don't recall if the website showed it or now. It might be worth a call to clarify if they still have it on their product. I have good pressure in my house so I can fill a 30-gal brute trash can in probably about a half-day which is more than enough since I typically won't use that much in a week.

I relayed the question to AWI with a suggestion that they describe the differences between the Typhoon, Typhoon III and Extreme Typhoon III 150gpd on their website. Their website is now updated:

The Basic Typhoon has everything you need to make RODI water. The Typhoon III adds a DI bypass assembly, an RO only valve, a membrane fast flush valve and comes with a HM DIgital hand-held TDS Meter ($60 more value). The Typhoon III Extreme has all features above plus a built-in pressure guage, a built-in TDS alarm, a dual in-line TDS meter, a 150 GPD membrane and a float valve ($125 additional value).

I mentioned that the Typhoon III's we ordered came with pressure gauges. They explained that due to a mix up in parts received from their supplier, they had some extra gauges that were not the right size for the Extreme Typhoon frame and decided to go ahead and add them as free, unadvertised upgrades to the Typhoon III model. They are now out of these extra gauges and future Typhoon III's will not include a pressure gauge. HTH

I bought an Extreme about 6 months ago. It's a great unit. I agree with above though, it is rated for 150g per day and I'm lucky to get 50. I have a constant water pressure system and I just bumped it up to 90 psi. The meter on the unit is reading 75 now and it IS producing more water. Another problem I have is my well water is cold, very cold, about 50 degrees. I'm thinking of tapping the hot water line and mixing them going into the unit to help warm the water. Cold water great reduces the production too.

AWI IS a great company to deal with. Shoot them an email and you'll get a response really quick.

50 degree water will definitely slow production. Tapping in hot water (keeping temps from getting too high though) might help but I think you will find that the RO membrane and DI resin will be exhausted quicker.

After I posted that, I read about someone running loops of tubing through their collection barrel, which has a heater in it to bring the water up to 78, and the loops help to warm the water before entering the unit. I might try that.

I got the plumbing parts and connected the hot and cold water into a T and adjusted the temp so it feels like around 78 coming out into the collection barrel. I went from 40g in about 20 hours to 40g in about 6 hours. You're VERY much correct though, the DI resin is disappearing at an alarming rate. I have a replacement here already though.