PVC leaks

magnetic1

I just plumbed up my 125G and guess what... a couple of the PVC joins are leaking. ARGH!

Im guessing the only way to fix this would be to cut the leaking pieces off and redo?

when mine leaked i pulled them apart or glued the excessively over that spot and it has worked.

when mine leaked i pulled them apart or glued the excessively over that spot and it has worked.

How do you pull it apart? it's glued in and doesnt budge! I guess I can glue over the spot and see if it works before cutting things apart :(

Since it sounds like you're still in the beginning stages, I recommend cutting/salvaging what you can and buying new parts to redo the plumbing. I wouldn't want to risk a failure down the road when everything is up and running.

When re-plumbing, dry-fit the pieces to make sure they fit into each other (approx .5" - 1"). After cutting the pvc, you may need to sand down the excess around the perimeter so that the pieces slip into each other. After glueing, make sure you get a nice, tight fit. You can apply extra cement to the exterior, but it's not necessary. Allow to dry completely before water testing.

Good luck

How do you pull it apart? it's glued in and doesnt budge! I guess I can glue over the spot and see if it works before cutting things apart :(

I have done this and it works but I don't know if I will have issues down the road... but one year now and no leaks.... if your not too far along the build I would recommend redoing the plumbing, but then again its your call...

Since it sounds like you're still in the beginning stages, I recommend cutting/salvaging what you can and buying new parts to redo the plumbing. I wouldn't want to risk a failure down the road when everything is up and running.

When re-plumbing, dry-fit the pieces to make sure they fit into each other (approx .5" - 1"). After cutting the pvc, you may need to sand down the excess around the perimeter so that the pieces slip into each other. After glueing, make sure you get a nice, tight fit. You can apply extra cement to the exterior, but it's not necessary. Allow to dry completely before water testing.

Good luck

I agree with Tygger, cut out the leaking parts and use new parts. Always make a dry-fit before gluing. Also as part of the dry-fit, it's a good idea to to make lineup marks on pieces so you can put them in exactly how it was dry-fit. Also make a mark on pipes that go into joints where they stop so you know you are all the way in the joint when you cement them. I probably don't need to say it, but make sure the joints are clean and you use fresh joint cleaner and cement.

Good luck,

Wreck

PVC is cheap. If it leaks, cut it out and replace.

I use Rain R Shine (blue glue) on everything and am generous with it.

OK, will cut out later and redo :) Just need to run to HD and find me another gate valve. I hate going to HD, nothing is ever where it is supposed to be!

I guess I did not put enough glue on? When you put pieces together, are you supposed to twist them in or just push them in?

I guess I did not put enough glue on? When you put pieces together, are you supposed to twist them in or just push them in?

I put glue in the fitting, then a bead around the pipe including the end surface and then push in with a slight twist.

It's all in the wrist.

I vote for cut and redo the whole thing.

If you could pull it apart after the glue had dried... you better expect it was leaking!

Is there any reason why nobody uses primer before they glue the pvc together?

I do. I at least use cleaner if not primer. It seems to give you just a little extra time to get everything aligned the way you want it. Also makes everything slide together easier.

Is there any reason why nobody uses primer before they glue the pvc together?

I think plenty of people use primer. Some even use a pipe cleaner, primer and then glue.

In my plumbing, I use oatey RAIN-R-SHINE (baby blue container), and do not use primer.

I think it's a personal preference with no clear right or wrong, partly experience with piping joints.

I just replumbed my system with some sections almost as old as our college freshman.

All with blue glue and no primer. It might also be the ability to clearly see the glue amount you've applied by using the blue stuff as opposed to the clear glues.

For me,

I lay out my pipe run, mark with pencil joint lines to match up and start at one end working my way to the end. I measure periodically to make sure I'm not running long or short on the run.

Putting a complete coat of glue inside the joint, a complete bead all the way around the pipe including the end and gently, evenly pushing with a slight twist rarely fails you.

Most, including myself, will tell you to allow your joint to bottom out in the fitting and it's sound advise.

Hence the glue at the end of the pipe. This gives you a complete seal and helps fill the void where the two connect, much like chaulk.

If you've applied enough glue, you will have a great, solid seal with little or no need to wipe the joint clean.