Snails 'n crabs

FishWife

I am wondering what you all do about replacing snails and crabs. In our 175, we don't have but two large turbos operating, and last week I bought 6 snails (can't remember the name) that were advertised as great at munching cyano. I think at least half of them are dead.

All we have in there are some hermit crabs (like six), a dozen decent sized nassarius (at least, I think they're still in there) two peppermint shrimp and one honkin' hermit crab -- I call him "Bruiser" -- who has survived it all. Could Bruiser be eating my turbo snails et al? Or, do snails just die regularly? How about crabs? Everything else (especially corals) are growing and thriving, and levels look good.

usually when I purchase snails I expect a few to die within a couple of days... don't know what it is but even with slow acclimation they still seem to croak...

I try to keep at least 1 snail and 1 hermit per gallon. I have a mixture of hermits (scarlet, blue leg, mexican red leg) and a mixture of snails (Mexican turbo, nassarius, astria). I was out at BRK this weekend and John has some great prices on clean up packages.

I only keep snails in my main tank and don't notice too much of a die off. In my frag tank I have both and there are a lot more die offs there of snails.

Guest webshout

I am wondering what you all do about replacing snails and crabs. In our 175, we don't have but two large turbos operating, and last week I bought 6 snails (can't remember the name) that were advertised as great at munching cyano. I think at least half of them are dead.

All we have in there are some hermit crabs (like six), a dozen decent sized nassarius (at least, I think they're still in there) two peppermint shrimp and one honkin' hermit crab -- I call him "Bruiser" -- who has survived it all. Could Bruiser be eating my turbo snails et al? Or, do snails just die regularly? How about crabs? Everything else (especially corals) are growing and thriving, and levels look good.

My money is on the hermits. Remeber the old TV commercial, "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" Those are my snails. When they fall off the glass or rock, if a hermit is passing by, he'll say "Oh, the buffet is open!" and buh-bye mr. snail.

Just my .02.

William

Edited by webshout

I have a fairly large green serpent star that I've caught more than once eating my snails. I do believe the hermits take care of the snails that fall down and can't get up quickly enough.

(edited)

If so, then is the answer to get more snails each time I'm at the LFS? 'Cause we need both in our tanks, right? Snails eat algae and crabs eat detritus?

(BTW, it's good to know that others' snails die off. I feel like we've had more of it in a bigger system. Odd to me. Also, we have less green algae in the big tank than we did with the bow80g. The rocks have more coraline algae; I think that's why. They aren't starving to death, are they? There's a ton of green algae on the side glass... but not so much on the rocks.)

Edited by FishWife

Hermits killing other hermits for shells and eating snails for dinner (and taking their shells) is just a fact of life. In my experience, the Mexican Red Leg hermits are not as aggressive as some of the others (like the blue leg). They'll still fight other hermits and eat snails......but they don't just do it for sport! :clap:

I probably add 25 of each every 6 months.

the hermits might be killing them.

Might want to keep in mind that turbos are temperate climate snails and often live shortened lives in our tropical aquariums.

i dont keep alot of snails in my tank. i have nassarius snails exclusively in terms of snails. hermit crabs are opportunistic feeders. they eat algae. i have observed them eating algae off of my overflows. just control your nutrients get a magfloat and some hermits

How big is bruser? is he big enough to eat a fish:>) thats what happend in my first nano he would jump off ledgees and grab them! I have also defenlty seen blue legs red legs and zebras eating snails!

Nassarius snails are The Bomb! I love those guys!