Unhappy with T5s. What do u suggest?

Gadgets

I have been using T5s on my lps tank and I an not very happy with the color of the tank or corals. It's a 24" 4-bulb Tek fixture. I just can't seem to get that radium look. They are also bleaching out a couple of the chalices. I would like to know what you all are using, those of u with LPS. I moved the chalices over to the radium tank and they look 10x better already. I really think I might scrap the T5 thing. Thoughts?

I have used these combinations: (front to back)

B+

B+

Special

B+

B+

B+

Special

ULV SA

ULV SA

B+

Special

ULV SA

It's funny you posted this now. Just yesterday, I was watching over the tank with a cup of coffee, just checking out all the critters, and realized that some of the new corals I got from the last meeting (zoos, in particular) were a little off color. Not much, as they still look great, but enough to make me think about the lighting.

Chris: how often do you change the bulbs for T5s? I'm sure mine are due...

Matt

Chris-

I'm debating which light to use as well. I have a brand new T5 fixture, but I like the looks of my tank much better under MH. I read on RC that people are very happy with the Current USA outer orbit fixtures, but the best reviews I saw were for the Sunlight supply Maristar and geissman fixtures. That being said, I'm a bigger fan of the MH/VHO combination (the above fixtures are MH/T5 combos). PFO makes a MH/VHO fixture but you have to hang it. Hope this helps.

Steve

I really think I might scrap the T5 thing. Thoughts?
They are worthless IMO, get rid of them and get MH.

1ST IN LINE FOR THE FIXTURE!!!

Listen bud why don't you try:

ATI B+

ATI B+

UVL AquaSun

ATI AB Special

(edited)

Chris,

isn't Sanjay doing spectral plots on T5s? I thought I saw that somewhere. Perhaps you could wait until the spring meeting and ask him there.

FWIW I use 4x39w overdriven on an IC660. blue+, SA, Procolor (for the reds and oranges in the LPS-par sucks) and blue+. The acans look good, but I don't have much in the way of challices to compare. I also use an HQI to run my radium which is much whiter than the electronic ballast which I believe you used to use.

G.

Edit: Have you tried the geisemann pure actinic? They put out a spike at the mid 500nm just like radiums.

Edited by gastone

I tried T5 on one of my tanks and wasn't happy with it either. I went back to MH. I am now running the Outer Orbit with the T5 for actinic on the 180. I don't have many corals in it to compare anything yet.

Good Luck in your search. Those chalices were very nice. Hope they go back to the beauty for you soon.

Sandy

It is a matter of what you like.

My T5s are overdrive with AB and B+ bulbs and I love the color. I have LPS, SPS, and a large clam, all quite healthy. Comparison to looks between T5, VHO, and MH is going to be different no matter what combination. I can't do with the heat of MH and do not like VHO, T5's are perfect for me and the physical setup.

As far as bulb changing timeline, the four that are overdriven I change every 12 months, the other two go for 16-18 months.

It must be my years, but I have not found anything that creates the look of MH+VHO(03).

Did keep just about everything under all VHO tanks in the past, but they all improved when I pulled tubes and added MH.

Never kept LPS under T5s so I am of no value on the front.

I also use an HQI to run my radium which is much whiter than the electronic ballast which I believe you used to use.

IME, HQI burns radiums whiter then magnetic or electronics as well.

Thanks everyone!

They are worthless IMO, get rid of them and get MH.

1ST IN LINE FOR THE FIXTURE!!!

Listen bud why don't you try:

ATI B+

ATI B+

UVL AquaSun

ATI AB Special

LOL!!! I'll give that a try Raf. Thanks.

Chris,

isn't Sanjay doing spectral plots on T5s? I thought I saw that somewhere. Perhaps you could wait until the spring meeting and ask him there.

FWIW I use 4x39w overdriven on an IC660. blue+, SA, Procolor (for the reds and oranges in the LPS-par sucks) and blue+. The acans look good, but I don't have much in the way of challices to compare. I also use an HQI to run my radium which is much whiter than the electronic ballast which I believe you used to use.

G.

Edit: Have you tried the geisemann pure actinic? They put out a spike at the mid 500nm just like radiums.

Thanks for the info. I may have to try a procolor.

I tried T5 on one of my tanks and wasn't happy with it either. I went back to MH. I am now running the Outer Orbit with the T5 for actinic on the 180. I don't have many corals in it to compare anything yet.

Good Luck in your search. Those chalices were very nice. Hope they go back to the beauty for you soon.

Sandy

They look the same as when u were here, but they looked much better when I first got them. :(

how much different to the eye of how bright the T5 will be if i use the icecap ballast to overdrive compare to the regular ballast?

Also Im running MH plus T5, I have one blue+ and 1 super actinic. I dont liek the color I dont know if the superactinic bulb do anything should I use 2x blue+?

Chris,

As we talked about when I picked up the acans, sometimes the draw of the Radium bulbs is just too much. I scrapped the attempt to go exclusively T5 on my new tank just so I could keep the Radium bulbs. This probably doesn't help your situation much, but you know the Radiums are calling!!!

Before you give-up on T5sc check out lanman (Bobs) tank... awsome under T5s :clap:

Or chck-out Quazi's skinny skinny skinny 55 :biggrin: also great under T5s plus VHOs :clap:

I understand what your saying. I not unhappy with them because I don't think they can make a nice tank. One of my favorite LPS tanks in WAMAS uses T5s (Raf's), so I know they are great. I just can't seem to find the best combo for me.

Chris,

As we talked about when I picked up the acans, sometimes the draw of the Radium bulbs is just too much. I scrapped the attempt to go exclusively T5 on my new tank just so I could keep the Radium bulbs. This probably doesn't help your situation much, but you know the Radiums are calling!!!

Yeah. When I upgrade I definitely plan to use radiums again. :D

Well... I couldn't take it anymore. I moved all the LPS to the radium tank and all the sps to the T5 tank today. I plan to see how the sps do. I'll jeep you all updated. :)

Are the Radiums that good? I've never used them before. At twice the cost of the XM 20K, I'm assuming the color is much better.

Sorry for the highjack Chris.

Well... I couldn't take it anymore. I moved all the LPS to the radium tank and all the sps to the T5 tank today. I plan to see how the sps do. I'll jeep you all updated. :)

H-E-double hocky sticks if you can't switch the lighting, switch corals I would have never thought of that... :why: :lol:

H-E-double hocky sticks if you can't switch the lighting, switch corals I would have never thought of that... :why: :lol:

LOL!!! Yeah. I really like my LPS more than my SPS.

I'd ask Grimreefer @ RC if it's possible but I doubt you'll get the look you're after.

Radium look = lot's of blue = actinic is T5's weak spot.