Petland in Fairfax

davidk

Petland is a franchise. Each store is independently owned. I spoke to the owner and he tried to sell me things that I did not need. He also told me I could put two gobies in my 90 together - I disagree. The guy who manages the fish seems cool though. The fish looked healthy.

I checked this place out last week. Some decent looking fish, but I would QT anything I got them for sure.

While I was there a worker was yanking dead fish and tossing them into the tank for the lion fish to eat...

They also told me that it would be fine to put one of their sting rays only needed a 50 gallon tank... Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would buy something from them. Their prices are no better than AquaCo or BRK and you dont get anywhere close to the same service or confidence in the livestock. Just my opinion.

Petland is a franchise. Each store is independently owned. I spoke to the owner and he tried to sell me things that I did not need. He also told me I could put two gobies in my 90 together - I disagree. The guy who manages the fish seems cool though. The fish looked healthy.

I go to the store frequently. I think it is family friendly, nice store. The owners are more knowledgable about the dogs and other animals and Zack is the person who runs the fish department. I have been in the hobby for a long time and didn't hear him giving any bad advice while I was there. I have been very impressed with the store and am happy I found it. I thought the selection they had was pretty good and the fish looked healthy. Not much in the way of SPS but he said they plan on building that up. He also said he was getting a whole bunch of clams in.

I just bought a blue spotted jaw fish which I have been looking for, for a long time and got it for a bit over $80 which I feel is very reasonable. I also got 2 sand sifter gobies which are doing well.

I personally like the store and my son loves playing with the rabbits which makes the trip with my kids much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

just went there this afternoon for the first time and i was impressed. they have a large selection of corals (lps, softies, zoas, clams, etc., no sps) and their fish looked healthy. zack was very friendly and knowledgeable. worth checking out if you've never been there or haven't been in a while.

just went there this afternoon for the first time and i was impressed. they have a large selection of corals (lps, softies, zoas, clams, etc., no sps) and their fish looked healthy. zack was very friendly and knowledgeable. worth checking out if you've never been there or haven't been in a while.

I agree. I go there at least once a week. Zack is very helpful. He's definatley the guy to see. Their corals are very nice. They had a marine ick/velvet problem a couple of weeks ago in a couple of tanks. They were trying to treat without chemicals.They lost a few very big beautiful fish. Inspect well before you buy.