Petland in Fairfax

davidk

I'd advise you all to check out Petland in Fairfax (next to Chuck-e-Cheese). They are in the process of redoing their fish section and already have a very decent selection. I've found the prices to be extremely competitive as well.

I'd advise you all to check out Petland in Fairfax (next to Chuck-e-Cheese). They are in the process of redoing their fish section and already have a very decent selection. I've found the prices to be extremely competitive as well.

but............are they healthy.........petco has good prices ...but.............very sickly

I purchased a few things from them and I agree with Davidk. The prices are competitive and the staff was very helpful. They are not a chain (I believe) and they are investing in there marine area, worth a trip.

I bought a couple of things (a few shrimp, a 6line wrasse and 1 coco worm) and they are thriving in my tank.

I purchased a few things from them and I agree with Davidk. The prices are competitive and the staff was very helpful. They are not a chain (I believe) and they are investing in there marine area, worth a trip.

I bought a couple of things (a few shrimp, a 6line wrasse and 1 coco worm) and they are thriving in my tank.

Petland is a chain http://www.petland.com/FindPetlandStores/Virginia.htm. I had good experiencies (fresh water) with them when I lived in New York.

Everything that I've purchased from them thus far (clowns, tangs, anemones, coral, etc) are thriving. You will do best if you ask for Karim or Yannis. Mention that you are a WAMAS member and most likely they'll give you a discount. I have not found better pring in the area - even Roozens.

It is a good store, the fish are healthy and priced well. Plus if you have small children, like I do, there is the bonus of other critters for them to look at.

• 4 weeks later...

I went by petland and was rather disappointed. Truly a waste of time and gasoline. I would like to say that Wally's is coming along nicely and it seems that the enw owners are going to really bring that place back on line.

Andre

Just to let everyone know...........Petland is indeed expanding their marine area. I know this as I am building a number of large tanks for them in the coming weeks. In addition they are investing in large sumps for their new system and heavy filtration systems. The first stage should be done in about a month with more to follow soon thereafter.

I spent a good bit of time with the owner last week and he is dedicated to the idea of making this part of the store a quality section of his business. I certainly did not get the feeling of cheesebagging things at all but, rather a dedication of doing it right. I would look to see them be a player in the coral/saltfish biz in a couple of months.

Guys,

i was in the area a few weeks ago and bought a cool awesome fat red scooter blenny(dragonet) from them.....a bit higher priced but none the less a awesome fish and he has even got fatter since then.

i like the prospects of the store....and some of their prices were really good.....like he had some neon gobies for 9.99$$....and he had a mated pair of shrimp gobies in the seahorse tank that he was selling for $40.....sixline wrasses @18$.

Bryan

• 1 month later...

They are installing large coral tanks with lights on tracks and all sorts of neat stuff. They are going all marine, they guy said the profit margin is much higher that freshwater. Looks neat in there. The bonus is the other critters for small children to look at, kinda like going to the zoo.

Who's got an address? I am in Fairfax all next week.

Who's got an address? I am in Fairfax all next week.

9404-A Main St.

Fairfax, VA 22031

(Pickett Shopping Center)

Store Hours

Mon-Fri 10-9,

Sat 11-7:30, Sun 11-6

I delivered those new large aquariums last week. They are getting a inverterbrate system as well that I have yet to complete. They will be doing a lot more on the fish system after they have finished the coral and invert system.

• 5 months later...

I'll toss a bone to Petland!

I have picked up some excellent top notch live rock from them, decent amount of corals, and I know recently they were adding on an additional seris of small invert tanks too.

Yannis consistently works with me on prices of rock and live stock. Last, thing I bought was a Tang for ~10 dollars off asking price. So, far I think they far exceed other fish/marine stores in the immediate area (Wally's/ SuperPetz) which i know does not say too much!

they took the whole mobile sun systems lights idea from you guessed it....AQUACO...and they don't quaratine there livestock....i have spent my fair share of money there when i first got into the hobby a year ago and from all the things that i've learned in this hobby i would not spend another dollar to support Petland...very often they will bring in species that should clearly be left in the wild for example a blue ringed octopus..but one of the things that i do take pride in that i did get from Petland...WAMAS..i had no idea about WAMAS until someone that worked there told me about it..and it was because we were talking bout this new LFS that opened up that had awesome corals and good prices..he said he had found out about it through this forum and told me to check it out...and guess which LFS it happened to be..thats right AQUACO..he told me to come on WAMAS to find the store info..shortly after i checked out AQUACO and it quickly became my new favorite LFS..i met Sean for the first time and had told him how i found out about his store and where i was going before for my reef tank needs and that Karim had been in there a few days before to check the place out and that is how they got the whole mobile lighting idea..becuz they didn't have any of those new tanks and lights they have now prior visiting Seans store...

and Yannis will work with you on the prices if you are a frequent customer...but they make there money off other things that they offer since it is a pet store and not actually a LFS IMO..so they can afford to do that..i think we as reefers should be supporting the real LFS' so that they don't end up closing down in these hard times..and then we will really be limited to our options...JMO

Edited by DDiver

• 2 months later...

I went there today for the first time in quite a while.

I have to say, I was very impressed with their set up. They have greatly expanded their S/W stuff in the year or so since I have been there last. They had several really big tanks (6x4' footprint maybe? just guessing) that were just chock full of corals, at least 2 dozen of which made me drool. There was a time I wouldn't have left that store without spending $500.

They had 3 10" clams that looked great, a basketball sized leather (that was closed...who knows how big when open), some really green leathers, and zillions of ricordeas (ranging from "20 polyp" rocks which appeared to me to have 30 in the $400 range to 3 polyp rocks for $250 [i think this one was labeled "rainbow yuma" but I'm not sure]...I don't know diddly about ricordeas and their pricing, but the stuff looked really nice to me).

Most of the corals were not priced, which is irritating, but they had so much that it sees it would be hard to keep up with it.

I asked prices for a couple corals just to gauge the pricing, and it seemed quite reasonable to me.

They had some LR that probably wouldn't fit in my old 125.

A few miles up the road from Wally's and Superpetz and not anywhere near the same league IMO.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Those big coral tanks were custom made by me last summer. From what I remember they are 59"x34" by something like 14" tall. They have invested a lot in that new system and the last time I was there it was full of corals as well. They don't have a lot priced so it is frustrating to see how much some of the things are. They had a cubicle rack set up there as well but, it was empty the last time I saw it.

Those big coral tanks were custom made by me last summer. From what I remember they are 59"x34" by something like 14" tall. They have invested a lot in that new system and the last time I was there it was full of corals as well. They don't have a lot priced so it is frustrating to see how much some of the things are. They had a cubicle rack set up there as well but, it was empty the last time I saw it.

Those big coral tanks look great. Agree it would be nice to have prices. They had all the ricordeas priced at least.

The cubicle racks were full today. I even bought a contestant for Crustacean Wars out of them. The employee advised me against buying it because it was super aggressive. He already hurt me.

tim

I think that store is the biggest sleeper store around...........................very quiet they have built up their stuff without a lot of publicity. You walk in and you'd have no idea that they would be a place to buy corals from til you walk in the back.

I'd love to know what Crusty wars are about...............if I think it is what I think it is that sounds like fun!

I think that store is the biggest sleeper store around...........................very quiet they have built up their stuff without a lot of publicity. You walk in and you'd have no idea that they would be a place to buy corals from til you walk in the back.

I agree.

I'd love to know what Crusty wars are about...............if I think it is what I think it is that sounds like fun!

Videos of my mantis shrimp against all comers. I usually post in General Discussion.

this is the best one

Crustacean Wars III

Crustacean Wars II

Crustacean Wars I

Crustacean Wars V: unpublished: emerald crab

Crustacean Wars VI: unfought: undisclosed challenger I bought today

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

• 1 month later...

Petland has been around for a long time. They were the ones that got me up and running with my tanks 20 years ago. This was in New York. They were the best! Always very helpful. They got me whatever I wanted.

I recently found Petland in Fairfax and I had the same experience I had 20 years ago. These guys were great. They took their timewith me. There is a really nice guy that takes care of the salt water tanks. I forgot his name. He's always in the back. Then there's the owner. He gave me his card and told me to call whenever I needed help. He said that when I was ready to buy livestock for my tank if there was something I wanted and he didn't have it all I'd have to do is ask and he'd try to get it for me. Really nice guys. I was there last week. A couple of the reef tanks needed a little color or something, but their frags, clams and anemones were really beautiful. Bright, open and healthy looking.