Kalk

discretekarma

I have been getting overwhelmed with have to dose Two Part in the morning and night everyday and have to make a new batch every week. It's getting old.

I'm looking in to getting a Kalk Stirrer and wanted to know what types of Kalk people use so I can price that vs Two Part.

Thanks

I use Mississippi Lime we purchased in a group buy some time ago. Using a GSA stirrer hooked up to my ATO has made life much simpler for me and the corals seem much happier too. Go for it!

I use Mississippi Lime we purchased in a group buy some time ago. Using a GSA stirrer hooked up to my ATO has made life much simpler for me and the corals seem much happier too. Go for it!

Couldn't agree more. I wonder how many of the GSA kalk stirrers are out there now? I know you're keeping track Dan. Spill the beans!!

Couldn't agree more. I wonder how many of the GSA kalk stirrers are out there now? I know you're keeping track Dan. Spill the beans!!

About 60 :cheers:

I also use Mississippi Lime Codex Vitacal.

I love my GSA Kalk Stirrer. One of the best things I have for my tank. Plus, if I remember correctly about 1/4 the cost of a similar deltec.

Brad

About 60 :cheers:

I use the ESV kalk powder and a Deltec Kalk Stirrer, to my defense though I had never heard of GSA when I bought my Deltec. But I did redeem myself and just hooked up an amazing Standard 6 skimmer on my tank.

Get a GSA Kalk stirrer and some kalk and hook that bad boy up, you won't be dissapointed.

best kalk I have used has been Seachem Reef Kalkwasser. Most stable alk and ph numbers(used 1/2 cup every 7 days in PRECISION MARINE Kalk Reactor). I have used two-fishes kalk, not impressed....had to use more (3/4 cup every 4 days) and the ph of the tank did not seem as stable but tow-fishes was cheeper....just not in the end based on usage. I currenlty use mississippi lime from last group buy....(1 cup /per 6 days).

I used ph (high and low) to determine when to change my kalk....with the AC3 it is very easy. All my top-off goes threw my kalk reactor...~2-3 gal a day on my 90

I use Mississippi Lime and have tons of it now.... if anyone needs some let me know.

Now, I have a question about the GSA Kalk Stirrer:

For the last 2 days I see small lumps in the water... almost like snow flakes instead of the white cloudy water I had before.

Do I need to replace the water and add new kalk? If so, how often do you replenish the stirrer?

Am I adding too little kalk? I have about an inch of kalk at the bottom of the stirrer. I don't know if you can tell by the pics.

Here are the pics that might be more descriptive than my text.

gallery_2631272_242_13452.jpg

gallery_2631272_242_21825.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Boret

Boret, time to add more kalk to the stirrer. There are several links on the top of my kalk stirrer page on my website that will help you determine the amount of kalk you need and the frequency of refills.

I took it off the system and I did a full clean up as per the instructions on GSA website.

I put the amount of kalk based on the Kalk Calc chart. And now I am letting it run for 24 hrs, without placing it in the system.

I did the 6 mon vinegar clean up.

I went the website and found all the information. I also took the time to register.

I bought it used, but less than a year used. It does look brand new and everything is in good shape.

I think I was a bit afraid of the proper amount of kalk so I went low to play it safe.

I will post pics as soon as the new kalk is stable.

Thanks Dan for supporting your product!

Edited by Boret

I'm going to buy a GSA K6 stirrer. I can't really find the Mississippi Lime for sale online. I was thinking about buying some from Boret but have no idea how much I'd need for my 250~ gallon system or how much it normally costs.

Scott

I'm going to buy a GSA K6 stirrer. I can't really find the Mississippi Lime for sale online. I was thinking about buying some from Boret but have no idea how much I'd need for my 250~ gallon system or how much it normally costs.

Scott

wonder what the diff is with my unit and the GSA unit....if I were to add the 1.68 cups of kalk bi-weekly as a starting point according to the chart, that would cause my pH to spike way too high. with my unit, I get a pH of 8.14 after a new fill w/ 1 cup kalk for an average of 5 days.....does the design of the kalk unit make the diff?

I have a serious pH swing problem in my tank. Normally my pH is 7.9~8.0. When I dose my kalk it go up very fast to 8.4 then slowly drop to ~8.0. Is it how the pH suppose to work? Also what bad effect does low pH or huge pH swing can cause? Im using GSA kalk reactor btw.

I have a serious pH swing problem in my tank. Normally my pH is 7.9~8.0. When I dose my kalk it go up very fast to 8.4 then slowly drop to ~8.0. Is it how the pH suppose to work? Also what bad effect does low pH or huge pH swing can cause? Im using GSA kalk reactor btw.

I wouldn't want this in my tank. How fast of a pump do you use for topoff through the Kalk reactor? I have an aqualifter pump that turns on for 15 minutes at 1am, then another 15 minutes at 4am, then 8am. So it tops off 3-4 times per night and there isn't a huge surge of kalk creating large pH swings.

How close to your kalk effluent is your ph probe?

The ph spike could be localized to where the effluent is. If you dose in the sump, put the probe in the display and then take readings for a few days. Could be that the display never spikes at all. .4 is a bit much for a spike. If you find that the display is spiking by this amount, a different delivery method may be in order, either James' method or my method, which is a dosing pump. Comes on every 12 minutes for 1 minute. No spike.

Garrett.

i'll set up a top off schedule for my kalk again but jut curious what effect on coral does ph swing cause?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idP...2102~tab~4.html

Is this the ESV kalk everyone talking about?

Yes, that is the ESV Kalk that I use and where I order it from. If you get up near Germantown and want to try before you buy I can give you some.

I'd like to get a big bulk bag of Mississippi Lime but I'm having a hard time finding where to buy it or how much it'll cost. I don't really want to buy expensive tubs of stuff online and have to get it shipped. I know I'll need to continue to use it so the bigger the bag (and local) the better.

Thanks

I bought 11 lbs of Mississippi Lime off a member here for $15. It sure beat the price of $15 for 250g of Kent Kalk that I got from Congressional. I think when you buy it by the bag it comes in 50 lb bags. I'm sure you can find someone here who will sell you 10 lbs or so that should last you a while. Just put out a WTB Kalk and I'm sure you'll find some.

I'd like to get a big bulk bag of Mississippi Lime but I'm having a hard time finding where to buy it or how much it'll cost. I don't really want to buy expensive tubs of stuff online and have to get it shipped. I know I'll need to continue to use it so the bigger the bag (and local) the better.

Thanks