Fragging the red ricordia yuma

gastone

Very nice!

"After a bit of research i decided to go with a bi-lateral cutting as opposed to a pedal laceration. Which is to say, cut it down down the middle as opposed to cutting its foot off."

Does this mean you pried it off the rock it was attached to before cutting?

When I did my green fiji a month or so ago, I cut the top off the foot, and then cut the top into 4 pieces. I have 3 of the 4 pieces (I think the other one escaped from the container) - and the 'foot' has grown back very very rapidly - it's almost the size it was before I cut it.

bob

Guest MikeInFredVA

I fragged one of the halves last weekend while I was getting prepared for the meeting. The new halves have both attached to a piece of tile that I dropped into the tupperware container.

...and now there are 3.

G.

this is very interesting for Me i've never fragged softies or ric's i was wondering would you frag/slice a LT Anemone the same way, right down the center?

G.,

So now you are an expert yuma slicer. Congrats. :biggrin:

There is nothing expert about anything that I do.

Very nice!

"After a bit of research i decided to go with a bi-lateral cutting as opposed to a pedal laceration. Which is to say, cut it down down the middle as opposed to cutting its foot off."

Does this mean you pried it off the rock it was attached to before cutting?

When I did my green fiji a month or so ago, I cut the top off the foot, and then cut the top into 4 pieces. I have 3 of the 4 pieces (I think the other one escaped from the container) - and the 'foot' has grown back very very rapidly - it's almost the size it was before I cut it.

bob

Bob, I used an exacto to "slice" under the foot against the rock. Worked quite well. I have continued to frag ricordea floridas without impunity or regard for their safety. Much akin to fragging any regular mushroom. The initial yuma halves took well over a month to reform into "whole" mushrooms, whilst the floridas take almost no time whatsoever.

this is very interesting for Me i've never fragged softies or ric's i was wondering would you frag/slice a LT Anemone the same way, right down the center?

Chip (Flowerseller) on the boards has a BTA farm where he regulary cuts his quadricolors just like so, often times into fourths or more. It is my understand that the doreensis can be propagated in this exact same manner. I say go for it!

G.

Guest MikeInFredVA

There is nothing expert about anything that I do.

Bob, I used an exacto to "slice" under the foot against the rock. Worked quite well. I have continued to frag ricordea floridas without impunity or regard for their safety. Much akin to fragging any regular mushroom. The initial yuma halves took well over a month to reform into "whole" mushrooms, whilst the floridas take almost no time whatsoever.

Chip (Flowerseller) on the boards has a BTA farm where he regulary cuts his quadricolors just like so, often times into fourths or more. It is my understand that the doreensis can be propagated in this exact same manner. I say go for it!

G.

thank you i think i might try that before i goto work, let you know how it goes and if i can find someone maybe take pics.

• 2 weeks later...

... and today I split my mother original half in two giving me four red yumas where once there was one.

I need to slice up some more floridas.

G.

• 5 weeks later...

...and they're dead. I hadn't checked on the splits in quite some time. They've been in the same container covered with a filter sock(ish) type material. It was fairly clogged with detritus/algae. No light, no flow = no more yumas. Gross neglect on my part. I still view the fragging as successful and will attempt again when I acquire another nice yuma.

G.

G,

Sorry it didn't work out this time. I hope you will try again and keep this thread going.

Maureen

Garett,

Congratulations on the successful fragging, but sorry to hear it about the yumas' demise. Your clinical trials gave me the inspiration to take the beginner steps of slicing up some of Maureen's floridas, which is looking good.

Jon

Jon, my ricordea floridas that I have sliced away continue to thrive. My research (and limited experience), leads me to believe that they are much hardier and much more adaptable than yumas. I have halved numerous floridas now and they appear to be indestructable. I have heard of others that quarter them... haven't gone that route yet.

G.

Garett,

Congratulations on the successful fragging, but sorry to hear it about the yumas' demise. Your clinical trials gave me the inspiration to take the beginner steps of slicing up some of Maureen's floridas, which is looking good.

Jon

Put me in line please. :)