What kits are good now??

jamesbuf

I'm looking to get a magnesium and a phosphate kit, but with Salifert having yet another round of bad test kits, I'm not so quick to go with them anymore. I'm curious to know what other test kits people have had success with? Especially the ones that won't brake the bank.

I got the Tropic Marin Ca/Mg kit that tests for both at once. It seems to work pretty well, I got it for $20 from PA but they don't seem to carry them anymore. Marine depot has it for $30.

I don't test phosphate.

I've used the Deltec phosphate kit before and found it to be very easy to use and accurate, but it is pricey.

Phosphate test kits (just based upon my research): gotta go upscale for any semblance of accuracy:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=1660

here is a good thread that talks about the hanna meeter and mention other tests kits (a la salifert which I have and don't even touch) http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1182318

for mag I use this: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~SC4119.html

Comes with a standard (can't remember if it's 1350ppm or 1250). so, predicated on that being correct, the readings should be okay... IMO.

Garrett.

API

as long as you know how far from the white background to hold the test tube... this is the problem people have with the nitrate test kit.

I just picked up a Sera magnesium test kit from BRK a couple of weeks ago and like it. John tested it out in his place for a while before deciding to stock it for customers. He was impressed but thed quality and accuracy. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I just picked up a Sera magnesium test kit from BRK a couple of weeks ago and like it. John tested it out in his place for a while before deciding to stock it for customers. He was impressed but thed quality and accuracy. Maybe he'll chime in here.

I picked up one of these kits as well. this kit would be great if reagent 3 was supplied in a larger quantity. Depnding on your Mag levels you use approx. 1.25 mL of reagent per test. The vial supplied is only 15 mL.

That would be the ones I believe. They aren't ALL bad. If you want real pinpoint accuracy a chemical test that relies on color and size of drops is really not going to give it.

Along with James' general question, specificially is there a reasonably priced calcium test that doesn't require counting drops?

I was wondering if anyone had checked out ELOS test kits?

I should get one of those phosphate test devices... wish there was something like that for alk/calcium & magnesium.

Dave

I was wondering if anyone had checked out ELOS test kits?

I saw those on marinedepot and was wondering the same thing. Hopefully somebody here has tried them. They are quite expensive though.

James, the API alk test are very comparable (accuray wise) to the ELOS... at a fraction of the cost.

Dave, did you see that link that I posted on the DIY forum about the guy on RC who was putting together an automatic titrator to test alk at least daily, if not two or three times per. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1073780

Amazing, and he says that it might be something that he can put together for a few hundred dollars. Pricey, but absolutely rockin'.

G.

Edited by gastone

I've got this ALK kit. BRK sells them and Johnny said that he and Copps tested it out and it was just as accurate as the other kits they used. All he had for Phosphate and Mag testing was Salifert, and I simply refuse to use them now after another MIA episode from the owner.

G,

Yeah I did...but I thought it was going to be more than that... one part cost ~300-400 and that was used on ebay.

Dave

Yep, heard decent things about the IO kit as well. Anything but salifert these days which is a shame. For years there were top notch hobbyist grade kits. Now... boo.

G,

Yeah I did...but I thought it was going to be more than that... one part cost ~300-400 and that was used on ebay.

Dave

I read it through a couple of days ago. He seemed to waiver back and forth about getting it done for somewhere between a few hundred and 15 grand. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part that it would cost a few hundred.

G.

I've used the IO kits since I started. I definitely like the measured syringes from Salifert better. The alk and calcium IO kits use liquid reagents, but the others use granular. And the little pouches are super tiny and hard to manipulate. Also, the ammonia test takes 15-20 mins vs 5 with salifert. While IO are decent tests, the salifert are definitely much much much easier to use.

API? Dan, you can't really mean these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=15473

Are you serious or messing with me?

Yes, I am serious. Accurate and easy to read endpoints for Ca and Alk. For po4 your not going to find anything accurate for less than $60 though. From what I have heard Elos very accurate, I might check those out next time I refill, although once you start paying $4 for a alk test kit and find the results are very good it is hard to go back to spending $20 a kit just to try something new.

I've got this ALK kit. BRK sells them and Johnny said that he and Copps tested it out and it was just as accurate as the other kits they used. All he had for Phosphate and Mag testing was Salifert, and I simply refuse to use them now after another MIA episode from the owner.

I have been using that same tester. It's quick, easy - and gives me the same results as my Salifert kit.

bob

Yes, I will agree on the Sera MG test, it is accurate and easy to test. I'm Not so hot on all the other sera tests.

As stated we (Copps & Myself) did some pretty extensive test comparisons a few months back with the Salifert ALk deal, and found the Instant ocean Alk test to be, quick, easy, and accurate. I have used the ELOS kits, they are nice, accurate, priced similiar to the salifert, and I probably will be carrying them soon. As far as phosphate, if you need to test phosphate, you need the Deltec one. It is expensive because it is made at pharmacuetical grade by Merck, in Germany. As for the API tests, they are OK as long as you are good with colors, many of the colors are very close. The real nice thing is they are inexpensive, they come in kits & individual, are quick and easy to perform. I dont think everyone needs to go out and invest $500 in a Haack (sp) kit. there are good options available.

john

Well the Instant Ocean ALK kit is great, but I just bought the nitrate/posphate test kit and man does it suck. To read the nitrate kit, you have to tell the difference between 5 very similar shades of yellow. Save your money everyone. I haven't used the phospate kit yet, but at least it looks like its going to be much easier to tell the difference between the shades of blue.