Pest Pico

dshnarw

I found a crab in a rock I'd bought for my 30g biotope: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19180

I don't like crabs. I want to give him away. But I took some macro shots, and Amber saw them, and now I have to have another tank to keep it away from the expensive stuff.

So...I had an old 2.5g AGA sitting around. I took the frame off the top and bottom. I painted the back black, added some sand that came with some seagrass for my biotope from lancer99 (thanks again), and some rock from the biotope sump. Added an old HOB filter and 18w pc fixture, and filled it up.

Other things to put in: anemones, of course. I'm getting some new anemones from magnetic1 tomorrow, and they shall go into the rejects tank.

Crab:

HPIM3558.jpg

HPIM3561.jpg

HPIM3583.jpg

HPIM3586.jpg

FTS:

HPIM3606.jpg

Are you going to put a label on the tank? heheheh I can think of a few hilarrious suggestions.

I usually don't, but I'm willing to take suggestions :)

cant wait to see my majanos in there :) more sprouted back to life, so if you know of a way to pluck them off my rock, you can have even more!

Well I think its a great idea and if you have any problems you don't have to worry about expesnive stock dieing because you can always get more free:) anyway I was thinking the Saltwater devils reject:P

cant wait to see my majanos in there :) more sprouted back to life, so if you know of a way to pluck them off my rock, you can have even more!

:bb:

I thought about heading out there tonight to pick them up before taking the FTS, but just wasn't up to it...need more sleep :)

Never tried getting a majano off a rock though.

Thanks in advance for the pests :)

(Ironically, I've only had a couple of pest anemones pop up on rocks since I've started reefing...and now I'm TRYING to get some :biggrin: )

Thanks tx!

Well I think its a great idea and if you have any problems you don't have to worry about expesnive stock dieing because you can always get more free:) anyway I was thinking the Saltwater devils reject:P

Thanks :) I've always thought it'd be cool, especially after I went to a small aquarium in Hawaii (not Waikiki - it was on Kauai) and they had a 75g with nothing but local species of aiptasia. Really pretty for what it was, maybe one of the nicest species tanks I've ever seen.

I went to House of Tropicals for the first time today, and WOW that front tank is FULL of huge majanos. I should have asked them for a couple, but I didn't want to "accidentally" tell them to bag up some of the other anemones they had.

rockwaork looks like a dinosaur skeleton - perfect for the tank purpose

rockwork looks like a dinosaur skeleton - perfect for the tank purpose

thanks everyone! :lol: IT DOES! Rather fitting, I suppose...that was completely unintentional :)

Anyway....I think I ended up with about 10 tulip majanos from magnetic1 (thanks)...which is plenty for now, especially given how many I saw in his tank... :eek: They're still very small, but we'll see what some Cyclopeeze does.

Crab is settling in well. He seems to like the sand better than the rocks and has been digging sand from all the holes in the rock. He came out at night, and wandered around a bit along the edges of the live rock, but wouldn't go out in the small bits of open sand.

Here he is hiding in one of his holes:

HPIM3636.jpg

And the tulip majanos:

HPIM3642.jpg

HPIM3640.jpg

New FTS, not much changed except for the small majano rocks (red fuzzy rock on the top left, red rock on the right):

HPIM3646.jpg

Now you need to add some flatworms and redbugs!

:lol:

If it were up to Howard, I should be putting my mini carpets in :)

If anyone has a MONSTER-sized aiptasia they wish to part with, let me know. Or exceptionally "pretty" varieties, or other majano varieties...

I'm at a loss as to what other pest species I could keep in there. Any ideas?

Mantis, gorilla crabs (I know you don't like crabs but they won't be there long after you add the mantis), whelks, various pest snails...

Oooooh, oooooh! I know... Colt coral! :lol2:

Mantis, gorilla crabs (I know you don't like crabs but they won't be there long after you add the mantis), whelks, various pest snails...

Oooooh, oooooh! I know... Colt coral! :lol2:

Well, I gotta keep the darned crab, much as I hate it. Amber would be ticked if I did something to kill it. So even now, a pest tank that still considers things pests :(

I wonder if I could keep sundial snails and such, without their natural food source?

:lol: I do have some Kenya tree that for some stupid reason I actually grabbed at the last meeting...

OH!!! AND XENIA!!!!!!!! icon8.gif

Looks like I gave you a small thing of green bubble algae too :P

Nice shot of the red "leafy" algae there also. My tang loves that stuff.

Glad to know those majanos can survive a 10 degree temperature spike with no ill effects, lol.

Edited by magnetic1

Daniel, if you are looking for pretty check out some nize zoa eating nudibranchs. Simply stunning and I'm sure you could grow out some ugly ones is a separate sump to keep them well fed. The ugly ones always seem to grow better. Funny how that works.

g.

Daniel, if you are looking for pretty check out some nize zoa eating nudibranchs. Simply stunning and I'm sure you could grow out some ugly ones is a separate sump to keep them well fed. The ugly ones always seem to grow better. Funny how that works.

g.

I was kinda thinking about that - I have a hideous brown zoa rock that hitchhiked in on some mini carpets...:lol: And of course, they're the fastest growing things I have :( Anyone got any zoa-eaters?

If I had the choice, the mantis would go in - I saw a really nice yellow one at Roozen's. But the crab stays.

i have a crab, that i finally captured... accidently... he was in a rock i was taking out of my tank to scrub, and i saw him and im like "ooh SUMP FOR YOU!" weell i put the whole rock in the sump but thats ok!

i dont know what it is though

i think gorilla, or hairy, but idk

what about a decorator crab? Maybe it will put the majanos or aps on itself as they do carry around little nems. Or an arrow crab - fish killers I found out the hard way. Arrow crabs look like dady-long-legs, so that might be expecially interesting.