Peppermint Shrimp eats Aiptasia?

tygger

Anyone have any luck with their peppermint shrimp eating aiptasia? I read that "true" peppermint shimps will eat aiptasia,but how can I tell which ones are "true?"

Anyone have any luck with their peppermint shrimp eating aiptasia? I read that "true" peppermint shimps will eat aiptasia,but how can I tell which ones are "true?"

Some will, some won't. I myself had mostly bad luck, but have seen peppermints keep the smaller aiptasia under control. I would recommend trying Joe's Juice to get rid of most of them, especially the big ones, then try to keep control using peppermints.

There are some peppermint look-alikes (I believe they are called camelbacks). They are noticeable by their big hump on their backs.

tim

I put 4-5 of them in my 240; they have cleaned up the aiptasia in part of the tank - but they don't seem to roam very much. I have to bring rocks to their 'cleaning area' in order to have the aiptasia removed.

bob

It's probably mostly luck for me but every peppermint shrimp I got from SCALES ended up eating any aiptasia in my tank.

The thing is if the aiptasia are real big, you might be better off getting some Joe's Juice to use...

It's probably mostly luck for me but every peppermint shrimp I got from SCALES ended up eating any aiptasia in my tank.

The thing is if the aiptasia are real big, you might be better off getting some Joe's Juice to use...

I've given up on Joe's juice. It seems to 'clog' the injector an awful lot. I do better mixing my own kalk and water. Seems to work just about the same.

bob

I tried the kalk mix, but as soon as I get close to the aiptasia, it retracts back into the rock. I end up injecting the kalk into the hole and the aiptasia "hibernates" for a few days and just comes back out. It's about 1 cm in diameter, but looks like it's starting to spread. I see a mini one next to it... :(

I have had good luck with pepermint shrimp, but the real aptasia killer is my copperband. I actually put aptasia into my tank for it to eat.

I just kill about 5 Aiptasia with Lemon juice I squeez out of a lemon. I did it one at time to avoid chemistry change in my tank. This is a cheap and quick way to kill these son of a gun.

Tee

----------------------------------------

I got a pepermint shrimp from docter mac and they love to eat it, but then again I've never had it really bad. I tried to use some chemisafe brand and it didn't work very well. Anyway, I have heard that joes juice is very good in controling it... Additionally I saw martins copperband eat them it was tight:) if I didn't have a clam I would so get one. I need to figure out how to get the aiptasia out of my sump do I just pick it out or will it stay in the sump?

I tried the kalk mix, but as soon as I get close to the aiptasia, it retracts back into the rock. I end up injecting the kalk into the hole and the aiptasia "hibernates" for a few days and just comes back out. It's about 1 cm in diameter, but looks like it's starting to spread. I see a mini one next to it... :(

Be vewy vewy quiet...

Sneak up on them, and put a drop in the middle when they are open. If they get big enough, you can stick the tip of the needle (I cut a sharp point on a Salifert plastic needle) right into their mouth and fill 'em up. Even bigger? Stick the needle through the side of it.

bob

My pharmosist thinks I am on drugs:) because I asked for a clean srynge anyway they gave me one free of charge I guess its like a needle exchange program because he wouldn't take money!

I've given up on Joe's juice. It seems to 'clog' the injector an awful lot. I do better mixing my own kalk and water. Seems to work just about the same.

bob

Yeah I have that problem too, and it's irritating. Nothing a needle and 3 seconds doesn't fix though.

tim

Jus to add my $.02...

I'd try the peppermint shrimp first. If they don't do the job, try the other suggestions.

They aren't expensive and they're fun to watch scramble for food at feeding time.

I had aptasia and after adding two peps it's all gone.