Where do they end up

Guest webshout

Guest webshout

Ok, I've seen a couple of threads about catching a damsel b/c of incompatibility (being a terror to the tankmates).

So, what do you folks do with the fish? Isolate? Return to the LFS? Put up for adoption? Flush?

I was lucky in being able to house my domino damsel in a 29 with a maroon clown. So far, they play nice. :clap: My daughetr, though, wanted me to flush him, b/c he was so mean to Nemo in the big tank.

Just curious.

William

i keep mine in the refugium. the funny thing is that he plays nice in the reef with everyone except my lubbocks wrasse.

So, what do you folks do with the fish? Isolate? Return to the LFS? Put up for adoption? Flush?

These days I just take them to Wally's and hand them over for free, although in the past I have done all those things. Depends how much the little bugger irritates me :biggrin:

I was going to give it away, but after I put mine in isolation, it died. Funny thing is that I had to do this with a freshwater fish years ago with the same conclusion. I wonder if our aggressive fish need to pick on other fish to live :why:

Working at a LFS, I have heard of all kinds of things that people do with damsels. Usually we tell people up front that damsels have the potential to be aggressive and that they can bring them back when/if that happens. Sometimes, I'll recommend not going with a damsel for a starter fish but people generally don't want pay a whole lot for a fish that is going into a newly cycled tank and may or may not live. Personally, I have never owned a damsel (excluding clownfish) but I don't think I could ever flush a fish, no matter how aggressive. A friend of mine had a damsel that lived in his sump for quite some time. (sorry for the ranting).

I converted my offive FW tank to a saltwater nano for my damsel, and a day or so before I was to take the damsel to work, it carpet surfed :( I miss my damsel.

there is always a good home for anu fish. just gotta find it.

i "adopted" a green wolf eel when I broke down an old tank for a new customer... he wasn't in the plans for the new upgrade.

It took me months of that fish taking up a whole QT tank, but I found him a home.

Don't flush, if need be, I'll find a home for any fish.

I usually take fish that outgrow my tank or too ugly for my wife to look at and give it to Centreville aquarium store. They in turn give me 10% off of my livestock purchase. It's not much, but it's better than me killing the fish just because I don't want it anymore.