digital slr vs. point n shoot digital

jamal

i would like to get more into reef photography in the near future and would like to know is it worth spending the 1500 or so bux to get something nice or can i get really good shoots from a simpler camera?

My dad just gave me his nikon 5700 and its a point and shoot camera and i got some amazing pictures with it that i never got with my other camera. Its what i would call a semi pro point and shoot however. They run about $300 used on ebay. Its got a great zoom on it. As soon as i get the cable for it ill upload some new pics

as i read a bit i get the impression that a slr is a bit overkill. more input would be great

as i read a bit i get the impression that a slr is a bit overkill. more input would be great

I have a point and shoot, with 'macro' and 'digital macro' settings. BUT - it doesn't have manual focus. There are certain distances and subjects that just will NOT focus. I move closer, further away, more zoom, less zoome - some situations will just not auto-focus.

So whatever camera you decide to get - make it one that has manual focus available.

bob

Ken Rockwell $150 vs $5000 camera

The key is the the importance of knowing how to use your camera over buying a fancier one. Cameras are just like cars: even if you have a Mercedes with automatic-tailgating, radar-controlled cruise control (Distronic) and navigation, you still need to keep it in lane with the steering wheel. A camera's steering wheel is the Exposure (light-dark) compensation control and the White Balance (color) control. Just like cars, regardless of how automated they are, they all need your help now and then.

Well, sure you can get some good photos with a point-n-shoot, but if you want great shots - slr's move and react a lot faster and can do more than point cameras. See Ken Rockwell's site on why you need a SLR.

see Ken's articles here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

So in the end, it depends on what you want to do with camera and how willing you are to adjust settings to take photos. If all you plan to do ever is point-n-shoot, then forget the SLR. But if you have interest in adjusting settings, SLR is way to go. Perhaps starting out in photography - just get a good cannon compact for $300 or less and see what your level of interest is. A good compact is always good to have even if you end up getting a SLR down the road - easy to take compact almost any place you go ... SLR a bit more to tote around.

I had a old nikon 995 semi-compact point-n-shoot and it had a 1/2 second or more delay b/w pressing button and taking shot. With my nikon DLSR (D70s), it's instant snap of shot and a .3 second wake from sleep mode. The color, depth and detail is really great to me and I love it - way better than any compact I have ever used.

* - Chris (aka 143gadgets turned me on to Ken's website).

I second craigs post. You have to know how to use what ever camera you buy. If you are just using the camera for occasional use you don't need an SLR(unless you really want one). SLR have a lot of manual settings to which you have to understand f stops/appature settings/lighting, etc. Point and shoot cameras are better for the occasional use. My wife has a digital SLR and loves it, but she is a good photographer, I have here old point and shoot and love it. Remember a person with a great SLR can take real crappy pictures and a person with a point and shoot can take great pictures.

Just my 2 cents....

I have both. I love my digital SLR (Canon Digital Rebel XT) mostly because of the speed (lack of autofocus delay) and ability to shoot many pix in rapid succession. I also love the variety of lenses that I have available to suit different conditions.

I also have a Canon point and shoot. The size and convenience are among its best features. It's really easy to use. The shutter delay has caused me to miss more than one "perfect" picture, though. I do have an underwater housing for it that I use when diving, so it's the one I take in the water with me when I go.

If all you're really wanting to do is to shoot pix of your aquarium, I'd stick with a point and shoot, but make sure (as Bob says) that it has a manual focus capability because autofocus may cause more problems than it's worth. Also, equip yourself with a small tripod.

Hey Jamal, take a look at the Nikon D40. From what I understand it's not that expensive compared to other cameras out there, it's got the same benefits of a point and shoot (as do most of the DSLR cameras out there), but it's also an SLR. One advantage that is significant in my mind is that you can change lenses. This was always a problem with my Nikon Coolpix 8700. It was a great camera, did a ton of things that were completely automated, but didn't have the flexibility that I wanted. When we were able to get a refund for that one and purchase the D80, we jumped on it and for some pictures, it was very telling. I am far from being a master at the settings, but I am slowly learning how to adjust. This past summer with the speed of the DSLR I was able to take some of the greatest pictures at the pool during swim meets. You have no idea how many parents have asked me for the action photos I have taken. On the occasional one (I'd say about 1 out of 20 or 30 pictures is really good) where I was able to really capture the moment by simply taking as many photos as possible, I'd say that the picture was professional quality to the point where I could see the individual droplets of water flying around in the picture. That said, there are some settings that are much easier to master than the aquarium. I am having a heck of a time figuring out which white balance to use to master my tank pictures, but I have the same problem with a point and shoot as well and I think that I'll take much better pictures with the SLR once I have mastered the nuances (or at least gotten a little bit better).

the camera i have does a manual white balance and has expsure settings. i just want to take good pics of my aquarium without paying 1500 for camera and lenses but i like the idea of flexibility that comes with being able to change out lenses. thanx guys