Anemone under Power compacts??

johnnybv

Looking for feedback.....want to set up an 12gal aquapod with clowns and anemone, it only has PC's.

thoughts?? Looking for feedback from anyone that has tried this. Can an anemone survive, if so what type .

thanks

Johnny,

was in between tanks for awhile and had to keep all of my corals/anemone (an RBTA in this case) in a tank with an 80w pc fixture (40w 10k and 40w actinic) for about 8-9 months (not exactly long term, but a fair amount of time). The anemone was fine. Didn't grow significantly, but didn't lose color either.

HTH.

Garrett.

Hey John, it depends on how much lighting you have in there. I would say that you're fine with a set up like that. You could even squeeze a 96W quad into that hood I think, which would be tons of lighting. I had a 2.5 gallon with dual 9W PCs and the stuff in there did great.

Looking for feedback.....want to set up an 12gal aquapod with clowns and anemone, it only has PC's.

thoughts?? Looking for feedback from anyone that has tried this. Can an anemone survive, if so what type .

thanks

I would stay with the smaller clowns, ocellaris, percula, skunks.

In a 12gal aquapod, 2x27w PCs, skip the actinic bulb for a mixed 10K/03. Other bulb could be 10K or 6.7K.

Assumng you want your clowns to be hosted by the anemone:

BTA: just be sure to pull clones as the divide.

H. malu: If you can find a healthy one. Not likely.

Skip the hosting carpets.

Skip Magnifica

Skip Crispa and Doreensis(unless you don't mind relocating it to a larger space)

I would stay with the smaller clowns, ocellaris, percula, skunks.

In a 12gal aquapod, 2x27w PCs, skip the actinic bulb for a mixed 10K/03. Other bulb could be 10K or 6.7K.

Assumng you want your clowns to be hosted by the anemone:

BTA: just be sure to pull clones as the divide.

H. malu: If you can find a healthy one. Not likely.

Skip the hosting carpets.

Skip Magnifica

Skip Crispa and Doreensis(unless you don't mind relocating it to a larger space)

Cool, good info. it does have dual 27 wt pc's. How about LTA?

Cool, good info. it does have dual 27 wt pc's. How about LTA?

LTAs via wholesale are typically M. doreensis, see above.

Most H. crispas from wholesale are short tentacled, bleached, etc., and typically get the tag Sebae Anemone.

After captivity conditioning, H. crispa and BTAs both frequently get the LTA tag on them, see above.

I would not try newly arrived anemones in such a small container, variations in conditions are bad and a dead anemone in a small space can be catestrophic.

Edited by traveller7

The reason I hesitated to put a nem in my nano at work is that I thought I couldn't keep it under PCs.

Does anyone think a BTA would be ok under the PC lighting for my work tank?....

The tank is a 16g, subtract DSB and there's about 13" from light to bottom. Light fixture is 20", a 40watt dual actinic and a 40watt dual 10k. I really only decided to do a DSB because I wanted to put corals in the tank and I figured under PCs without the DSB there wouldn't be enough light penetration (originally I was going to use a 10g).

Edited by treesprite

I had a green bubble tip anem for about 3 months under PC's 6 X 96 W mix of actinic, daylight and mixed current bulbs. (Note this is on a 150 gal 30" deep to sand) After the 3 months he stopped eating and began to shrink away. I convinced a friend to come over who had just added 150 W MH, to come and take away the anem. before there was nothing left. Within two weeks under MH he was fully entended and eating well.

I guess my experience under Power compacts was not favorable. I had a similar experience with a clam. (Also note I have just upgraded to t-5's anybody want to buy my PowerCompacts?)

Edited by Bob

Smaller spaces and anemones present special challenges in the area of stability, water conditions, temps mostly.

Many of my old anemone tanks(20H) were lit by 3x28wt PC fixtures. The key is to keep the bulbs fresh, the reflectors clean, and the tank covers clean. PCs, t5's, HO, VHO, and even proper NO tubes can be used, just make sure to have proper depth, proper feeding, and water stability.

Lighting is not really a huge issue with BTAs, but they do prefer fairly intense lighting, even better if it is from a point source so they stay put. Part of the reason for using a single 70wt MH over the 3x28's on this set up was to keep the anemones in one place away from fliters and power heads:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17537

BTAs are the most widely distributed hosting anemone for a reason, their ability to adapt to the greatest variations. Mine have done well over the years under single 28wt PCs to 400wt MH, just don't stretch the limits too far ;>)

Great question Johnny.

A friend of my has the exact setup of your question with stock 2x27w 10k +03 bulbs. He has a small 4th generation of RBTA and a pair of true percula clown hosting. He placed the anemone on top of the rock near the PC light. The pair of clown fishes are feed daily with mysis shrimp; therefore, the anemone is also fed. After three month from a super small, about 2 fingers in size, it gets big and split in three seperate ones. It's has been 6-7 months now and all three still are well, keep their color.

He does change water weekly.

I am going to do the same like him now. Having my 12G water cycle. Ready in a months and will stop by BRK for those $10 frags. :)

KLee

so does this all mean I should not try it in my work tank?

so does this all mean I should not try it in my work tank?

I'd say Go for it! I am setting up a 12G in the office with water cycling right now and would be up running in a month.

according to the feedback here, it looks like you should be able to do it.

No one has questioned the SIZE of the tank. I thought 'nems needed a pretty stable water supply, in terms of salinity, etc. Is the tank too small, or ok, do you think?

No one has questioned the SIZE of the tank. I thought 'nems needed a pretty stable water supply, in terms of salinity, etc. Is the tank too small, or ok, do you think?

May not have been questioned, but :)

Smaller spaces and anemones present special challenges in the area of stability, water conditions, temps mostly.

In my experience a tight lid, auto top, consistent small water changes, no to extremely little dosing, help alleviate the small space stability issue. Small spaces definitely complicate matters and required due diligence has been assumed by anyone attempting such a challenge.

My friend (that got me into the hobby) has a 8 gallon biocube with pc's with a condi and small clown. The condi is as happy as can be and growing well and been that way for probably close to a year now of good health and growth.

Edited by Nitro Junkie

I'm not sure what type of clowns they were, but my ex had a pair of clowns hosting in a condy for years. It was a typical white/pink $12 condy from petco. It was really fun watching them constantly snuggle into it.

Before the anemone, they were hosting in a heater :) It was fun to watch them bring it food, too.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I'm not sure what type of clowns they were, but my ex had a pair of clowns hosting in a condy for years. It was a typical white/pink $12 condy from petco. It was really fun watching them constantly snuggle into it.

Before the anemone, they were hosting in a heater :) It was fun to watch them bring it food, too.

tim

this gives me an idea for an interesting thread.