submersible return pumps

FishWife

We got a Sequence Dart and we love it, but we are redesigning our sump for the new 175g bowtank. We have a fish room, so it's not that it has to go under the tank (which is a good thing, because Dan's Standard 8 is LOUD).

Anyways, we have an undrilled old 75g sump shape to work with, and here's the thing. We have been wrestling microbubbles in our current setup, so after perusing Mel's reef website, we like THIS idea of putting the skimmer section to the left and the 'fuge section to the right and having the return come from a center section.

NOW: this poses problems for using a new Sequence Dart, which we'd thought of buying. Question: what QUIET submersible pump would you guys recommend to move 1800gph for one tank (and more eventually for a FOWLR 75g added to the same system) from the MIDDLE section of our sump. Currently, our dart is OUT of our water on the right.

gallery_2631270_258_580947.jpg

We *could* mount it above the water again in the middle, but that means we have to prime the pump and use a check valve.

BTW, we have a Mag 24 and it is WAY too loud. Any other ideas?

Edited by FishWife

neither the skimmer nor the pump should be loud. i have a standard 8 and it is the quietest skimmer i ever had. have you opened the pump? maybe the impeller is off center. it happened to me.

I dunno. We ran the mag for about two weeks and it was vibrating hard AND loud--submersed. I could hear it in the other room.

The skimmer itself is ok; it's the flexible tube... escape?.... that gurgles really loud... sounds like a constant gurgling hiss... python choking on a rat that won't go down right... you know. I just don't want it under my display since I have the luxury of a room.

neither the skimmer nor the pump should be loud. i have a standard 8 and it is the quietest skimmer i ever had. have you opened the pump? maybe the impeller is off center. it happened to me.

I too have Dan's Standard-8 skimmer and it should be whisper quiet. From the pics I saw of your skimmer setup, it looks like you're lacking the "Silencer", a 5 inch capped pvc where the free end of the air-intake tubing should be connected. Dan should be able to easily fabricate one for you.

Without the silencer, my Standard-8 creates a loud gurgling/sucking sound which is enough to drive my wife and son crazy (that's 900-1000 lph of pure air, baby :clap: )

Nevermind, found it in another thread.

Dan nailed it. Your skimmer needs the silencer if you want to run it under the tank. This used to be an option but is now standard. Since you got yours from BRK, it was the last of the ones that did not include it. Send me your address and I will mail you one.

The silencer is still there. She only needs to take the cap off and it should be all quiet.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?act=...si&img=2792

Thanks for the link Lee. The cap is drilled to prevent a siphon but is not the actual silencer.

I'd recommend sticking with the sequence external pumps if you can - less noise, less heat transfer, higher quality pump (motor, impellor, housing, etc). Any way you can connect it to the bottom of the middle sump section? Or... use 2 smaller sumps - 1 for skimmer, 1 for fuge, and T the input from both with the sequence in the middle - this would also let you move the water through the skimmer/filtration section faster than through the fuge. The plant life needs the water to move a bit slower so it can remove the chemicals from the water.

Mag 24 shouldn't make any noise. It probably just needs padding between it and the tank.

Some people use mouse pad material. Some mags come stock with this material.

It's also easy to use an external pump without even drilling, like I do....see external pump sitting on floor in this pic.

tim

gallery_696_10_142579.jpg

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I'd recommend sticking with the sequence external pumps if you can - less noise, less heat transfer, higher quality pump (motor, impellor, housing, etc). Any way you can connect it to the bottom of the middle sump section? Or... use 2 smaller sumps - 1 for skimmer, 1 for fuge, and T the input from both with the sequence in the middle - this would also let you move the water through the skimmer/filtration section faster than through the fuge. The plant life needs the water to move a bit slower so it can remove the chemicals from the water.

Brian: yes! We agree about all of the above. We are working on lowering the overall water in the sump and we want to use the center section as a return. We could mount it similarly to how we have it; we need to see if PVC couplers can replace the rubberized ones we grabbed in a moment of crisis while doing "open pump surgery" in switching out the Mag 24 for the Dart.

Tell you what about the Mag 24: we had it in 15 gallons of water, on pad made of filter webbing, in the far end of our sump. I could sit on the other side of our mudroom wall (ten feet away) hear it hum AND feel the vibration. The difference with the Dart was incredible. AND, the water temp. was only controllable after we got the submersible out. SO, we're leaning towards finding some way for the second Dart.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Thanks for the help with the Standard 8. I didn't mean at all to badmouth Dan's skimmer. I thought it was just "the way it was." We've LOVED the skimmer, and if we can silence the flexible tubing, that will be SWEET and open up all kinds of plumbing options for us with the 175g.

:bb: We get to pick it up on Saturday!!!! I am SO excited!

I have run Mag 24/Mag18 for the return.

With my design, it is almost dead silence.

If you want, you can stop by to see if it fits yours.

Thanks for the offer! Where are you located, generally speaking?

Just FYI, everyone, I got Dan's silencer and my Standard 8 is now SILENT. I love it. THANKS for such great support on your product, Dan! I'm glad I asked!

Fishwife,

Why don't you just drill the 75 and use the Dart?

That's what we're thinking we'll do now. GREAT minds! :-) Who around here could drill a couple of holes for us if we brought tanks to them?

Edited by FishWife

If you would like and the tank is not tempered I will drillit for you.

NOW: this poses problems for using a new Sequence Dart, which we'd thought of buying. Question: what QUIET submersible pump would you guys recommend to move 1800gph for one tank (and more eventually for a FOWLR 75g added to the same system) from the MIDDLE section of our sump. Currently, our dart is OUT of our water on the right.

We *could* mount it above the water again in the middle, but that means we have to prime the pump and use a check valve.

BTW, we have a Mag 24 and it is WAY too loud. Any other ideas?

I didn't have an opinion when you first posted this - but I now have TWO Eheim 1262's pushing about 1800gph; and they are almost dead silent.

bob