when to harvest macros from fuge?

treesprite

At what density in the fuge should macros be harvested, and what is a good average density to have at all times? I feel like I don't have enough, then I see pictures where people have not a whole lot.

this is an awesome question Tree, I would love to hear from the 'experts' on. If the goal is to maximize growth, which maximizes the sucking of nitrates and phosphates from the environment, then there has to be a tipping point.

Basically now at every bi-monthly water change I rip apart about half of my chaeto (I'll guess at a ball of 5x5x3") and toss it. If I should be leaving the mass intact than I will happily change my routine.

jp

At what density in the fuge should macros be harvested, and what is a good average density to have at all times? I feel like I don't have enough, then I see pictures where people have not a whole lot.

When it gets so full of macro-algae that it blocks the light to the mushrooms, zoa's, and monti digi's that are growing in my refugium - it's time for a trim!

Yeah... it all started with a volunteer mushroom in there. And now there's another baby mushroom sitting right IN the chaeto ball... And then I tossed a messed up zoa frag in there, and they started growing better... and then a couple of REALLY messed up monti digi frags got tossed in there just to 'recycle the rocks they are on'. All of them are growing nicely in the refugium.

I'd like to see a definitive answer to this question, too.

bob

Guest tgallo

I would harvest at monthly water changes.Also depends on how fast the weeds grow.

I'd like to see a definitive answer to this question, too.

bob

I'm not sure you'll get one.

For me, I remove some when it grows out above the water.

The water feeding the fuge ALL flows thru it also on it's way back to the tank.

i read that there is a point where it passes optimal size. it can stress the algae which is one reason why calerpa can sometimes go sexual.

The definitive answer is...

Heck, I dunno. I harvest whenever someone drops by and asks for some, when the macro algae grows out of the water or when I think it has grown so thinc that it is choking itself out.

The definitive answer is...

Heck, I dunno. I harvest whenever someone drops by and asks for some, when the macro algae grows out of the water or when I think it has grown so thinc that it is choking itself out.

I harvest when mine looks like THIS: (hopefully tonight or tomorrow night)

IMG_1247.jpg

bob

I'll have to take some pics next time I trim my chaeto. Seems like 2-3 weeks is the magic mark, when it has gone from about a quart-sized volume to at least double that (not a lot of room in the hob-style fuge).

I have pink/purple fuzzy hair algae that grows among it, so I take it out and trim off all the pink-filled parts with scissors until it's back down to a reasonable size, and pop it back in. Never really thought about what is optimal, I "just do it". LOL

T

its all just judgement, I think its best when its running out of space, because in my fuge, a AC 70, it easily constricts itself, and I don't see new growth, if its not growing its not absorbing anything, thats when I prune mine, i use growth rate as a determining factor of when to prune it back,

I usually trim any calerpa or anything that would go sexual if it is cramped, or "branches" get longer than a few (4-5"ish) inches. Cheato I just cut the top off of what grows out of the water and give it room to breathe ont he sides.