Hunter's 220 Gallon

reefhunter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful! I LOVE pics....I find something inspiring in every tank I see.

How long have you had it up again? I remember reading in the other thread that you got it somewhat intact and have been upgrading along the way.

Tracy

So this is my first post with pictures of my tank. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have spent alot of time and learned alot from WAMAS...

The Sailfin, Naso, Lavendar, Chromis and Onyx Clown are all from Bemmer's 240....

Very impressive. Love the rock work. Corals all look very healthy, happy and beautiful. Hats off! :clap:

I got it in February with only the Purple tang, Brain, Carpet Anemone and Rock.... no SPS or clams or anything else.... I moved this tank with a 3500 series cargo van and a cargo trailer from Philadelphia with 4 guys... took all of 20 hours... it was snowing the day we did the move and nothing died... it was amazing...

All the corals I have added and most equipment... I didn't really know what I was getting into when I got it... and now that I have done my homework I am struggling to get this thing running as it should... I have my aquacontroller III coming and have a grey seas kalk reactor running now and everything is very stable...

The coral that is yellow and purple is growing like crazy and is awesome... anyone know what it is?

I will post pictures of my equipment tomorrow...

Edited by reefhunter

Well, lovely job! I really really like the semi-bare-bottom look. Most go one way or the other, and it is really interesting the way you have it set up....like the reef is spilling out. NICE!!

Tracy

Thank You!

The PO who originally bought the tank supposedly spent alot of time looking for these large pieces of live rock... he said there is over 300lbs... and I have taken some out since then and given it to my buddy...

Thank you! It was barebottom to begin with and after I did the move I decided to add substrate....

Being a beginner I ordered crushed coral... ended up putting about half a bag in... realized what I had done... took most out and now that is what I am left with.... I think it looks good also so thats how it will stay...

The one picture has all of my fish except the 5 chromis who tend to hide all the time... I think they are intimidated by my "school" of tangs...

I have a clown tang upstairs in a 55 gallon that I am fattening up to put in here also... he is about 3" now...

To put the tank into perspective... that sailfin is the largest one I have EVER seen and the brain coral is the size of a football...

I believe the "green coral" is the carpet... but I have alot of green coral... I will post some better pics of the corals today with my equipment.... I dont really know the names of my corals so if anyone wants to post what they are that would be cool...

Thank you everyone... I am constantly adding frags... I have alot more success growing frags... and it seems everytime I buy a colony it dies...

Now I am at the point where if a coral dies, I believe it to be a random occurance... the aquacontroller should help me confirm...

The frag rack is my latest addition... take a piece of eggcrate from the sump, jam it in between two rocks... I cant believe how well it works... I had urchins picking frags up left and right... and after they dropped a nice one between some BIG rocks which was a BIG pain in my (#) I needed something... the urchins stay away from it for some reason...

I have been having dreams of selling this tank and buying tgallo's 400 gallon....

On another note... I would like to rent my basement (2 bedrooms, kitchenette, full bath) but that is where this tank is! So if there are any WAMAS people who need a room or two in Leesburg, VA and wouldn't mind me in their spot looking at my fish tank a few times per day it ideal... you can even set up your own tank as long as it is smaller than mine... haha ... PM me if there is any interest...

Edited by reefhunter

• 1 month later...

also, the coral in the last picture died and it was my favorite so if anyone has a frag for me I would really appreciate it... I dont remember where I got it... doug maybe?

• 1 month later...
(edited)

gallery_1725_5_726225.jpg

gallery_1725_4_793508.jpg

gallery_1725_4_818074.jpg

gallery_1725_4_182815.jpg

gallery_1725_4_77374.jpg

gallery_1725_4_21946.jpg

I added a pair of 6101's, Aquasurf, Chiller, Aquacontroller 3, clown tang, 2 maroon clows, a few corals and just got new bulbs!

The only thing I need now is a calcium reactor... !

Edited by reefhunter