Topic request for next meeting

DaveS

Just a quick idea- for some future meeting, if we are short on topics, maybe someone can do a talk on aquarium photography. I know there are pretty good photographers here but also lots of people who are struggling.

I know some people have really nice SLR camera setups with fancy lenses but I also suspect that, just like on land, a lot can be done with the less expensive point/shoot cameras these days. I think that with more knowledge about lighting, angles and other factors/techniques, some of the newer guys can make improvements in their shots.

What do you guys think?

Doesn't interest me personally. It doesn't have anything to do with the actual keeping and care of the animals, it's just specialized photography. I want to do better taking care of living things than taking pictures of them that look all pretty.

Doesn't interest me personally. It doesn't have anything to do with the actual keeping and care of the animals, it's just specialized photography. I want to do better taking care of living things than taking pictures of them that look all pretty.

Hmmm... I think you can't see the Forrest for the trees! Just because you don't have a camera...

I actually like the idea - many occasions I've tried to photograph some 'evil presence' in my tank to get it identified, and gotten a blurry little picture of a fuzzy something.

bob

I would LOVE to be able to take pictures of the tank that represent what it really looks like. Great idea!

Tracy

Not to mention, you need to be ready for your TOTM nomination! (they ask you to send a FTS when nominated)

bob

i too think its a good idea. i have needed id help plenty of times but my pic taking skills suck. lets all bug chris to volunteer for the next meeting

Just another perspective on photography, and how its not just about making pretty pictures. It is also a very useful tool for documenting the progression and growth of all of your critters. That way if something 'seems' amiss, you can refer to your older photographs for some helpful perspective. For example, a coral that used to grow like a weed suddenly doesn't seem to be growing as fast, with photo documentation you can go back and estimate growth rates over time. Not to mention, our reefs are ever changing and it is nice to be able to look back and see how that evolution has progressed. Or, heaven forbid, the dreaded tank crash. Even though my tank didn't crash, I had to break it down and am very glad for the pictures that I have to remember my favorite critters.

It's been on the table for a long time, problem is finding someone with the expertise needed to photograph a fish tank that's available. We have some great photographers on here, but typically they are very busy when we have tried to plan a meeting with them...

Just another perspective on photography, and how its not just about making pretty pictures. It is also a very useful tool for documenting the progression and growth of all of your critters. That way if something 'seems' amiss, you can refer to your older photographs for some helpful perspective. For example, a coral that used to grow like a weed suddenly doesn't seem to be growing as fast, with photo documentation you can go back and estimate growth rates over time. Not to mention, our reefs are ever changing and it is nice to be able to look back and see how that evolution has progressed. Or, heaven forbid, the dreaded tank crash. Even though my tank didn't crash, I had to break it down and am very glad for the pictures that I have to remember my favorite critters.

Now this makes it make more sense to me! If it's presented in a good application such as this, I would be happy with it.

helpful mods to existing equipment, we could get club members involved, every one would submit ideas for what they think are useful mods to existing things in reefdom and each person could present a 3-6 minute power point presentation on that item(s). Would really get club member involvement

wait i didn't even read the thread before i posted, i thought we had been asking for suggestions for topics

Edited by jason the filter freak

It's been on the table for a long time, problem is finding someone with the expertise needed to photograph a fish tank that's available. We have some great photographers on here, but typically they are very busy when we have tried to plan a meeting with them...

Fly someone in who is not busy and pay them to lecture/demo.