Battery or generator?

FishWife

As we approach winter, weather, and power outages, I'm wondering about backups. I saw the discussion of marine battery backups, and understand that Johnny at BRK sells them (is he/are you, Johnny, bringing a show and tell to the club meeting? Hint! Hint!)

It would be so great if someone would bring their new toys (AquaControllers) to show the rest of us....? Either a Junior or an AC III would do...

BUT, in any case, does anyone have a gasoline-powered generator backup? If not, why not? Seems like it would be more versitile and potentially longer lasting for power outages that are general (like hurricanes or blizzards)?

I have a gas generator just in case but the battery backups are nice too because it automatically powers your equipment. You may be out and not know you got a power outage and they will be at home running on the battery. In most cases, you would have to start up the gas generator for it to power anything unless you have the money to have it automatically turn on if the power goes out.

As we approach winter, weather, and power outages, I'm wondering about backups. I saw the discussion of marine battery backups, and understand that Johnny at BRK sells them (is he/are you, Johnny, bringing a show and tell to the club meeting? Hint! Hint!)

It would be so great if someone would bring their new toys (AquaControllers) to show the rest of us....? Either a Junior or an AC III would do...

BUT, in any case, does anyone have a gasoline-powered generator backup? If not, why not? Seems like it would be more versitile and potentially longer lasting for power outages that are general (like hurricanes or blizzards)?

Being new to the DC area...um...do we get a lot of power outages?

Not really... but we do get a few. And for a person with a fish tank - that can be very bad new$.

I have a generator for longer outages. But I will be getting a battery backup before I ever put water in the 240. AND a better, more reliable generator - specially for the tanks.

bob

(edited)

I have a gas generator just in case but the battery backups are nice too because it automatically powers your equipment. You may be out and not know you got a power outage and they will be at home running on the battery. In most cases, you would have to start up the gas generator for it to power anything unless you have the money to have it automatically turn on if the power goes out.

Right; we're thinking of an AquaController (to alert us) and a generator because, well, it's more versitile (meaning, we could power our refrigerator too in an outage, not just the tank). We work together about a mile from our home and run our business, which means we can go home at any time to start power... think a generator would make more sense for us?

Also... where to buy one and what do they cost?

Edited by FishWife

10HP 5500W generator.

I also have those little battery powered air stone deals which have kept my 330g system alive overnight till day break when I fire the generator back up.

I feed 4 outlets to my tank for return pump, 03's and heat if needed.

I also feed my kids dungen with TV and wii and all that crap.

I also feed my heater/water heater

A line does both our fridge and seperate freezer and a few lights here and there.

That leaves 2 open feeds, one for each neighbor on either side of us.

That's how we get to run it later into the night and then again at day break.

I use stabil and test it every couple months so my wife can start it easily if needed.

Call me a fool..... and I know once I say something sh#t will happen. I have lived in the city (all wires underground) for 23 years and only once (notified power outage for one hour) have I lost electricity. Even during the last hurricane we had 3? years ago, not even a flicker, even though power was out @ work in Takoma Park for 3 days.

I am gonna just chance it.............. Bob

Right; we're thinking of an AquaController (to alert us) and a generator because, well, it's more versitile (meaning, we could power our refrigerator too in an outage, not just the tank). We work together about a mile from our home and run our business, which means we can go home at any time to start power... think a generator would make more sense for us?

Shop around... there is SO much to choose from.

Lowe's, HD, Sears, etc. Sears has the 'least' generator I've found with electric start. On a cold February morning - I think I'd like some electric start. I still haven't decided what to get - just that it's part of the set up for my new tank.

bob

The question is when the power has gone out, your aquacontroller won't be able to send out notification email; therefore, there is a chance you might miss this outage event for a few hours until later coming home from work to startup the generator.

I have both a ups and I think the same generator chip does. I also have a system out on the Internet that powers my web site and alerts me if it can't connect in to my house to pull stats off my aquacontroller or reefcam.

The diy backup kept flaking out on me (went through 3 inverter models) so i gave up on it.

i used a ups on my nano , but none of my other tanks really need it. you can always attach a paddle bit to your drill if you need to put oxygen in your tank in an extreme situation.

i used a ups on my nano , but none of my other tanks really need it. you can always attach a paddle bit to your drill if you need to put oxygen in your tank in an extreme situation.

The reason I would need it is to make sure the pump from the sump doesn't stop and also power the heater since it is getting cold.

Edited by txaggies07

I use both. We lost power for four days during the last hurricaine. That was just before I started this hobby, but it is the reason I have a generator. It happened before, it will happen again someday. I built a sound dampening partial enclosure for it to cut down on noise for the neighbors.

I also built the DIY battery back-up, using a Black&Decker inverter I found at HD. I haven't had a problem with mine.

The small Honda EU Series generators are excellent. Quiet, very fuel efficient, produce only the amount of electricity required for the load. They are a bit pricey but have come down A LOT. A guy I work with bought one for his boat (36' sailboat) to power all his electronic toys. Said it runs forever on a gallon of gas and is VERY quiet. I lived through Isabelle in Va Beach a few years back - the city was out of power for about a week - and the hum of generators becomes deafening.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp

Pic of the enclosure?

Do you run it at night past 10?

I'll try to get a pic if I can this weekend - but it's pretty ghetto, even for me. I basically just threw it together with some scrap wood in about 20 minutes. 2x4s for 4 legs and the top, then 3/4" plywood on the sides and top. There is about 2 1/2 feet of clearance above the generator. The sides only extend down to just above the exhaust. The generator sits on a piece of foam insulation in the carport so the combination of all that and the carport itself cuts down on noise considerably.

With the battery back-up in place, I would probably run the generator from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm and then let the battery take over at night -- depending on temp issues.

A sound dampening enclosure! Great idea! My generator is embarassingly loud and we get lots of power outages where I live in Md.

It seems like above-ground power is least reliable - that's what I have.

If the feed line going to the neighborhood underground lines is cut, your in the dark.

Underground just removes the unsightly wires and removes the risk of a branch in the neighborhood falling on awire and disrupting service to a few.

I have put my generator in my walkout basement well and a piece if ply across that.

It cuts down noise and I got the ply from a "curbing" run.

I still believe that the cheapest possible solution is an AC power inverter run from your car. you can pick up a 750W to 1000W inverter for around $50 from places like wallmart, Target, etc. From there you run an outdoor extension cord ($20 at lowe's) into the house and use it to run your return pump, a single heater and maybe your protein skimmer. keeping the water warm and circulating will get you through even several days of horrible weather. Most people usually have enough gas in the tank on any given day to let a car idle overnight if necessary. This method is cheap, effective, and foolproof.

:clap:

I still believe that the cheapest possible solution is an AC power inverter run from your car. you can pick up a 750W to 1000W inverter for around $50 from places like wallmart, Target, etc. From there you run an outdoor extension cord ($20 at lowe's) into the house and use it to run your return pump, a single heater and maybe your protein skimmer. keeping the water warm and circulating will get you through even several days of horrible weather. Most people usually have enough gas in the tank on any given day to let a car idle overnight if necessary. This method is cheap, effective, and foolproof.

:clap:

Agreed. If you have nothing else, you should at least get this. It gives you a lot more capability for not much more $$ than a few battery powered air pumps IMO. More importantly, battery air pumps can't make coffee!!

Advantages of a generator and battery back-up are running more equipment (generator), will work when you are asleep or out of the house (back-up), and can be used by a tank-sitter if you are on vacation when it happens (generator, back-up). Might be a bit too much to ask for someone to leave their car running in front of your house full time, especially if they have their own tank to take care of (not to mention a job, life, etc. . . ).

For those with limited funds, it's all a matter of priorities in deciding when, if at all, you really want to fork over $500 - $1000 or more on a life-support system. Does it make sense to do that before buying the equipment necessary to care for your reef in the first place (skimmer, RO/DI, lights, circulation, etc. . .)? IMO no. On the other hand it is something to consider before spending a large chunk of $$ on something that will mostly just make reefkeeping easier for you, but isn't necessarily essential to care for your critters (like a good controller, for example). My $.02 as always.

Those with generators. Ever think of getting a transfer switch installed. My brother lives in So. Florida and has one. Fires up the generator which ties into the house via the transfer. He then only turns on the breakers as necessary, off for all the others. No extention wires and pulling plugs.

Just a thought.

Those with generators. Ever think of getting a transfer switch installed. My brother lives in So. Florida and has one. Fires up the generator which ties into the house via the transfer. He then only turns on the breakers as necessary, off for all the others. No extention wires and pulling plugs.

Just a thought.

It would be nice to have someday, but I think it is a bit too much of a stretch for my DIY electrical skills so I'd probably want a real electrician to do it.