Where to get sand

sheac12

Hey all,

I live in Columbia MD and I was out at the Home Depot on Snowden and couldn't find any of the recommended sands there. I am looking for a Southdown or some other type that is usable. I was wondering if anyone had a good place to go that was close by that might have a usable sand, or could recommend another type.

Thanks!

Good luck finding the Southdown. Its been pretty much non-existent for quite some time now. I would go with the carib-sea aragonite. If you plan on having alot of flow in your tank, I would stay away from the sugar sized sand.

Hey all,

I live in Columbia MD and I was out at the Home Depot on Snowden and couldn't find any of the recommended sands there. I am looking for a Southdown or some other type that is usable. I was wondering if anyone had a good place to go that was close by that might have a usable sand, or could recommend another type.

Thanks!

I'm in columbia too, I just wait for tank teardowns to buy my sand though.

So after doing some research and I think I have settled on getting CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand for my FOWLR tank. Does anyone have a good opinion of this substrate? Will this work for my tank?

So after doing some research and I think I have settled on getting CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand for my FOWLR tank. Does anyone have a good opinion of this substrate? Will this work for my tank?

yes

The only thing I am worried about is the fact that it says it is not burrower safe. What am I "excluding" from my tank by using this?

probably the sand shifting star fish, Nassarius snails, fighting conch, basically anything that digs.

Has anybody ever had to buy more sand to top off for an established tank? What's the best way to add it in w/o creating a cloudy tank? Would it cause the system to cycle again?

That's what I have in my reef tank. And I have plenty of snails, all of which are doing just fine.

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Thanks, I am heading over to Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse after work and class tonight to buy two bags. wish I had my WAMAS card so i could get the discount...oh well!

Thanks, I am heading over to Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse after work and class tonight to buy two bags. wish I had my WAMAS card so i could get the discount...oh well!

though I don't know how the discount applies to substrate, I would pm andrewb and let him know you are coming, and mayb something can be worked out.

probably the sand shifting star fish, Nassarius snails, fighting conch, basically anything that digs.

Has anybody ever had to buy more sand to top off for an established tank? What's the best way to add it in w/o creating a cloudy tank? Would it cause the system to cycle again?

Actually, I don't think that's what they mean by not burrower safe. If you look at how they do it, the substrates that are considered burrower safe are the larger ones. This means that fish that dig out tunnels in the sand, such as jawfish, won't be able to construct their burrows without larger particles. The reef grade sand is fine for the animals you mentioned as they don't burrow, they live in or under the sand. Burrowers, in the context that they are talking about, do not include the animals you mentioned.

(edited)

Ah good to know. I don't think i will worry about it then.

I already called Scales and they are price matching Seas, which is fine with me. After speaking with the people at Scales I hope I like the place. It was a nice change to speak to someone who didnt sound like they had an attitude problem. Silver Spring is a drive from Ellicott City, but I am down that way twice a week to the Greenbelt metro stop for school anyway. I was going to Aquarium One, I was surprised by the good prices and helpfulness of the staff, but that is even farther from my place.

Thanks for the help and info.

Edited by sheac12

I agree with what Dave said about the grade -- it is fine for sandbed dwellers such as those (although stay away from sand-sifting star fish IMO).

To add sand, just rinse it as well as you can, put in a container that you can lower to the bottom of your tank, slowly pour it out, and then don't worry about it. The cloudiness doesn't hurt anything and will clear up in a day or so. It will not cause a new cycle. The only thing I would avoid doing is adding too thick of a layer of new sand on top of your existing sand bed all at once.

I added it through a home-made funnel and a piece of PVC. Put the PVC down to the sand; fill it up, then slowly lift it.

bob

though I don't know how the discount applies to substrate, I would pm andrewb and let him know you are coming, and mayb something can be worked out.

I believe it's live stock only....

I added it through a home-made funnel and a piece of PVC. Put the PVC down to the sand; fill it up, then slowly lift it.

bob

I am doing the same thing; a piece of PVC w/ a funnel at the top and pour in and get placement pretty much where you want it. I figured to add a patchy thin layer and to stir in over time. I also put sand/argonite in mesh bags after rinsing and put in my sump for a couple of weeks before adding to tank. "The Other Bob' LOL

Actually, I don't think that's what they mean by not burrower safe. If you look at how they do it, the substrates that are considered burrower safe are the larger ones. This means that fish that dig out tunnels in the sand, such as jawfish, won't be able to construct their burrows without larger particles. The reef grade sand is fine for the animals you mentioned as they don't burrow, they live in or under the sand. Burrowers, in the context that they are talking about, do not include the animals you mentioned.

gotcha what about gobies that eats sand and spits them out on the side would those be excluded as well?

I am doing the same thing; a piece of PVC w/ a funnel at the top and pour in and get placement pretty much where you want it. I figured to add a patchy thin layer and to stir in over time. I also put sand/argonite in mesh bags after rinsing and put in my sump for a couple of weeks before adding to tank. "The Other Bob' LOL

great idea thanks!